"The Dick Van Dyke Show" coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benno123, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still 50% OFF !!!!!!

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Great deal! I jumped on it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Mine arrived at last. Anyone know where the music on the menus came from? It's like Count Basie's New Testament band doing the Dick Van Dyke Show theme. (It's not, but to give you an idea.)

It came right before I left town for a few days, and I just stuck a disc in for a quick look, so if it's credited somewhere I didn't have time to look.

4. With the instant rebate going on at Costco now, the Blu-ray set is $119.99 until next week.

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Damn.....wish the Costco they are building here was up and running!

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I was a bit taken aback by how dreadful the pilot is. It's disjointed, no laughs, superficial, and the kid playing Ritchie is dreadful.

Jump to the first episode w/ Van Dyke, and it's wonderful on every level. Not only that but the sixties may have officially begun!

I'm at a loss to think of another show that got off to such a bad start, only to reach such great heights.

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well the pilot never aired, at least not until decades later.

Sheldon Leonard took one look at it and realised the biggest problem was the casting and that the writing had merit, a realisation also based on some 11 other scripts Reiner had written.

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I guess he saw the possibilities in the situation (the comedy writer's life), but I was surprised at how badly it was written. It's so 50's... so superficial.

Jump cut to the first one with the cast we know, and pretty much the same set-up as the pilot -- and it's a night and day leap in quality. My hat is off to Sheldon Leonard for seeing the potential buried deep in Head Of The Family. I'm sure I would not have been nearly so insightful.

9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

10. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well, glad I got the complete box at a decent price at least.

11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am really excited. I have been waiting for years to get The Dick Van Dyke Show on Bluray and I was just on Amazon, and a marketplace dealer had the series set brand new for sale at $58. How could I turn that price down? Luckily some old gift cards from Christmas were still here being saved for something just like this, so thanks to my niece and in-laws I will have DVD on Blu next week!

12. Myke

Good job ! I sold mine here, for $ 95.00 last July. Didn't see myself watching more than once.

Benno123 likes this.
  13. Benno123

Whoever bought it for $95 still got a heck of a deal. I missed a lightening deal at Christmas and I think that was $75 or so and I was bummed then but now I am happy I missed it!

14. Myke

Video is breathtaking, Audio is...well, the mono came out of my center channel only, so it was hard to hear dialogue sometimes, hopefully that was just me.

Enjoy !

Benno123 likes this.
  15. Benno123

Thanks Myke!!!

16. mep

mep Forum Resident

Were they all out on VHS, all 158 episodes ? Amazing, if true. In the 90s I only saw one complete series on VHS here in Germany and it was The X-Files. Gladly, I wasn´t really that into movies before the rise of the DVD. One season of the X-Files on VHS was around 200 DM / 100€...

My complete Dick Van Dyke - Set arrived today, but in the next few weeks I sadly won´t have the time to check it out...

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, there were a dozen or so cult American TV shows released on VHS (and sometimes laserdisc as well): Star Trek, Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, and a handful of others. Once DVD was introduced in 1997, I think the studios quickly realized it was 10 times less costly to release on this format (particularly for a set that had 60 hours of material), so everything shifted to that.

mep likes this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I got THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW on Blu-ray for Christmas. There was a great Amazon sale late last year and I urged Santa Claus to grab it for me. I think it was around $50. It's currently only $55!

I too tired of buying this one - I had the individual seasons with the lenticular covers on DVD and thought that would last me, but the chance to see it again in Blu-ray for such little money was too much to pass up. I've watched a handful of episodes as samplers before I dig into the whole series again. What I've seen looks simply amazing.

Harry

Benno123 likes this.
  19. mep

mep Forum Resident

That´s interesting! Here in Germany there weren´t that much complete TV-Shows releases on VHS available. Mostly you could only purchase Best Ofs or certain special themed Compilations...

20. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Good choice to buy it. Very well done set and looks great in hi-def.

Benno123 likes this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool. Funny classic show. Great as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.