[Poll] Your favorite decade of Porcupine Tree

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hvbias, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

1990-1999
    Albums- On The Sunday of Life, Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Stupid Dream
    EP- Moonloop, Staircase Infinities

2000-2009
    Albums- Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, The Incident
    EP- Futile, Nil Recurring

The first decade had several miscellaneous compilations of released and unreleased material, that might have been released in the 2000s. I've left it off the lists, but feel free to include them in your choice when voting. For example I really like Transmission IV and keep that in mind as part of their 90s output. Full discography here.

My vote was for their first decade since there is very little of it that I don't like. With the second decade I can't really listen to Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet any more. And I never liked The Incident.

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I'm going with the second decade. IMO three great albums in a row (Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and Deadwing. But I do like their earlier stuff also.

Sparkler and Jimmy Agates like this.
  3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

"Stupid Dream" is one of my favourite albums of all time... but "In Absentia" was the one that brought them to my attention.
    How do I vote for both decades? ;)

nsmith1002 and Jimmy Agates like this.
  4. hvbias

I made you guys have to make the tough decision!

bleachershane likes this.
  5. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

2000 - 2009

6. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

2000-2009 because of In Absentia, Deadwing and Nil Recurring.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Second decade for the surround option. Surround is why / how I was referred to them by a former DTS employee who worked beside Steven prior to 2009. He says Steven asked so many questions concerning mixing to 5.1, it was obvious it would be a big part of Steven's future.

For the record, I do own everything in the catalog.

vonwegen and hvbias like this.
  8. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I saw this as I'm listening to In Absentia...so 00's for me :)

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I've got Deadwing in heavy rotation...cuz its...heavy....I can't get this one out of my mind.

So that decade got my vote.

10. hvbias

The PT, SW solo albums and Storm Corrosion are fantastic in surround sound, and thanks for that history about SW's early history into surround.

11. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

1996 to 2007

Aggie87 likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Too hard. Signify to Fear of a Blank Planet for me.

murrays likes this.
  13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Both decades are in my rotation. Difficult choice so I'm copping-out with a no-choice

nsmith1002 likes this.
  14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Definitely first decade for me. I really like Voyage 34 which is the album that first caught my interest. I regularly listen to all of the 90s albums on a regular basis. I mentioned in another thread last week that PT albums were my obsession for about a month. I played Lightbulb Sun everyday for an entire week.

I like some of the songs from the albums in the second decade but don't listen to all of the albums all the way through. Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident do nothing for me.

hvbias likes this.
  15. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

I have all the original vinyl releases up to In Absentia including the limited Spiral Circus, Staircase Infinities and various EPs they released around the time and listen to them regularly. I lost interest after In Absentia really

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I voted 2000-2009, but the 90's stuff is no slouch either.

17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Signify to In-Absentia for me,
    Not a big fan of 'Deadwing' & 'Fear of a Blank Planet' the weakest PT albums by far IMHO

Loving the direction SW is going now though Pretty much in the spirit of early PT again IMHO

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Fear of a Blank Planet is a punch to the guts, but they lost me with The Incident.

I don't know how to appreciate it; it seems to me there aren't many musical ideas in this one, like watered down PT.

19. marke

marke Forum Resident

I voted the 2000s . I really like Signify but my favorite PT albums are In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet. I even like a lot of The Incident with the standout being Time Flies.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  20. The first decade - mainly because Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident aren't all that good compared to what came before. I do really like Deadwing and In Absentia.

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Deadwing and Fear .. are the duds for me.
    of

22. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Anything up to "Lightbulb Sun", perfectly summed up by "Warszawa" live album. After that - absolutely nothing.

23. hvbias

Do you know if there is anything left in the vaults from the 90s?

24. I doubt it. Between Recordings, Metanoia, Stars Die, and the Signify demos, there's been much released. What we are missing, though, is some kind of "Recordings II" compilation of the b-sides from the 2000s. Since they did companion releases for FOABP and The Incident (disc 2), it's really just the b-sides from IA and Deadwing. But I think they could combine that with other contemporaneous material (things like the finished "Cut Ribbon") and have a nice project.

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Aren't the "B-sides" for these albums on their respective DVD-A? Or are there other songs I don't know about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.