Pete Townshend demos are like alternate Who albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrBeatle, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

where can i hear the demo? the piano version on the scoop series is not a demo from the early 80's

2. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yeah, the only demo I've ever heard from It's Hard is "Teresa" (Athena).

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I recall hearing a demo for the song It's Hard, but I can't seam to locate it.

4. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I like the Scoop series, but always preferred the 1st one. It has some great stuff on it.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Popular? That turned into It's Hard.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

My favorite '60s era Pete demo is "Things Have Changed". I only own the Scooped 2CD compilation, so when I first heard that song on YouTube, I was blown away. I guess it was too "folky" for the band back in '66?

Roger's voice wasn't so "bark-y" back then, he could've handled it (listen to him on Sell Out, for instance). Pete & John would've done the "do tu do tu daaaaah" backup vox, and Keith could've added a little snap n' sizzle to make it pop onto the charts.

Other favorites:
    Mary
    Time is Passing (even though we have The Who version now, which I slightly prefer)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Hep Alien, One Louder and dee like this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, that's it.

Thanks

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's what I was saying--I thought Scoop was only for demos pre Who. Eminence Front wasn't.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oops read your post again and understand this time. i thought there was an early 80's demo floating around that i had not heard

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Understood. I think it is also important to imagine that, imo, some of them may be more to the tune of guide vocals or more than that but not with the idea of this is the best vocal I can do and I'm going to do multiple takes of it to make it sound exactly right, tonally, before the band hears the demo. that is conjecture on my part obviously and there are songs Roger just sings better than Pete, but for what it's worth, the human voice being the vulnerable and sometimes inconsistent instrument that it is, I would expect some of those vocals to have been re recorded if that was a Pete solo album release at the time. as they are, they are what they are, I just don't listen to the vocals as if every one is a finished, absolute best PT lead vocal.

WhoTapes1 and Chris M like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Won't Get Fooled Again drags on the demo and the Record Plant version. If any of them were issued at the time the song wouldn't be so revered.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The demo doesn't have the bombast that the Who recording does, but I don't think it drags in the slightest.

Record Plant...I can agree with that.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Townshend uses drums as sound effects on his demos. That's the basic flaw of listening to a whole bunch of them together. His rhythm is in his guitar, the drums are just explosions and exclamation marks.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

I think at this point we are talking about different things and better for me just to leave what I said, as what I said.

I also agree with you though about the Record Plant version.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I can't imagine what they were thinking by inviting Leslie West to the sessions. He was the wrong choice for a second guitar player to experiment with. Not because Leslie is bad in any way. Just the opposite actually. His style is just too aggressive - it didn't work.

WhoTapes1 and Chris M like this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Oh I don't know...I think Love Ain't For Keeping and Pure and Easy are amazing, and Behind Blue Eyes and Baby Don't You Do It aren't far behind. IMO Getting In Tune and Won't Get Fooled Again kind of fall flat, but I don't think that's West's fault.

17. dee

dee Senior Member

LAFK, very interesting, Pete lead vocal in the studio and Leslie on guitar, sounding unlike what it became on the album proper, but close to what it would be on stage. A great find, :).

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yeah, I agree it is a great find. Because the album version always leaves you wanting for more. Its easy though not to mention that Pete is also on guitar on the RP version...lol

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist Thread Starter

Let's not forget the greatest Pete demo of all that never made it to an album.

This is absolutely brilliant...what genius.

Hep Alien, One Louder and keifspoon like this.
  20. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

There's also Girl in a Suitcase and Cookin' which were done during the Who By Numbers demo and writing period from the Scoop series. I think they're both great songs.

Hep Alien and DrBeatle like this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

I love both those demos too, One Louder!

The Q Cloud shows Cookin' via a caption to a photo to be dated 1970 71 if memory serves correct. I wish The Who could have recorded more of Pete's demos!

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Does this count as a Pete demo?

23. oates

oates Forum Resident

When the Record Plant tracks were being mixed for release I asked Jon Astley whether he was tempted to reduce or eliminate the Leslie West parts on the grounds that they were too flashy and diminished Pete's guitar work but he said that Pete had requested that it all remained up front.

Hep Alien, dee and One Louder like this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'll take Rundgren on Something/Anything, Hermit of Mink Hollow, Healing, The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect, Acapella, and several other one man does everything including produce releases.

25. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I'm glad Pete asked to keep the mixes as an accurate representation of the sessions.

dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.