Apple Records vinyl labels: which ones deviated from standard format (green/red apple/core)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bward

bward Senior Member

Would love to know the story behind this.

2. bward

bward Senior Member

Can you imagine if Paul released Maybe I'm Amazed in 1970 as a single, going up against his other two great piano ballads by his old band. Boy, he was on a roll. Nice problem to have.

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

It probably had to do with the way contracts expired for the company. Many artists have one contract for US distribution and one for UK or the rest of the world, etc.. This sort of gives rise to the way bands could be on one label in the US and another in the UK.

Maybe the Apple contract ran out in Europe & the UK by '75 whenever Venus & Mars came out that year. I'd be willing to be they were still tied in with Apple in other countries for a little longer.

bward likes this.
  4. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Beatletapehead and MLutthans like this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I heard that, too, but it can't be true because I own U.S. and U.K. copies of the 45 and both are the same dark shade of blue. I also have the original U.S. pressing, which featured a regular green Apple Records label.

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Paul's records were on Capitol Records/Parlophone Records starting in 1975 because he'd signed with them as a solo artist earlier that year.

7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Mary Hopkin's "Goodbye" single has the full Apple on both sides.

8. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

There's also the classic Philippines release of "My Sweet Lord" on Apple credited to "The Beatles"!!!
    There's also a few websites that have everything that's been mentioned and more including pics. Worth checking out.

9. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Hi, Hi, Hi....Venezuela: [​IMG]

Back Off Boogalo ...Italy: [​IMG]

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Imagine/It's So Hard had the full Apple on both sides

11. slane

slane Forum Resident

For some reason, the Irish singles of 'Silly Love Songs' and 'Let Em In' were also on Apple (plus the A-sides were 'sliced').

SLS.jpg LEI.JPG

12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

And the other three got even further away from it.

slane likes this.
  13. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Depends how you define original but I think blast from your past and its attendant single in the UK were after this weren't they? Which is why the album has a red apple to signify a stop!

Edit, just looked it up, I was right about the album but wrong about the single which is a week or two before Harrisons

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

So was Ringo's Oh My My single (Jan.76). This Guitar was a UK single in Feb.76 (Dec.75 in the US).

15. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Sorry I re edited as I'd got it the wrong way round but I was correct that Ringo album is later than George

16. bward

bward Senior Member

Here in the States, Oh My My was released in 1974. And there was no Ringo single for Blasts From Your Past. Pretty sure This Guitar was the last new Apple single in the USA....before the Beatles material in the 90's.

slane likes this.
  17. bward

bward Senior Member

I define original as all new songs. Shaved Fish and Blast From Your Past (which came out after Extra Texture) were compilations. I'm fairly sure that's why George used the half eaten Apple on Extra Texture, as it's the last album of new material on Apple. It would also work to signify that this would be his last Apple album.

18. bward

bward Senior Member

Wow, this is really strange. Is it possible the pressing plant was using up unused label stock in 76?

Is this an anomaly? Or was this how the initial run of these singles was pressed in Ireland in 76?

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Another 'death of Apple' signifier was the back cover of Ringo's first non-Apple album in 1976:

sam_1071.jpg

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's a possible explanation. Or no one told the Irish that Paul wasn't on Apple anymore. I think these were stock singles.

21. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Here are a few off the top of my head, too lazy to see if any were already listed.

The many orange Apple labels used for late 70s reissues in New Zealand.

The temporary "Apple" labels used in the 70s for the White Album in Uruguay that didn't use apples at all, but simply had "Apple Records" printed on them.

The black Apple labels used in Argentina.

The labels used in Argentina with the Apple, but with an Odeon logo also.

The graphics-only (non-photo) label used for Yellow Submarine in the Dominican Republic.

forthlin likes this.
  22. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

This is ironic. I always thought for someone with the Beatles creativity they would have used some rather bizarre colour of the skin of the apple,and some poignant reminder of what was going on in respect to the sliced apple. Maybe an apple with a bite taken out by different animals or something ?
    Aesthetically,the Apple label is pleasing,no question of that,but I think they could have pushed the envelope a bit further,after all,it is part of the package...

23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Easily my favorite as well. US pressing, of course.

24. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

When Apple was being formed, Ringo had envisioned a blue apple as the standard. Perhaps the blue pressings (all west coast, I believe) were pressed to satisfy his original idea.

Rubber Soul likes this.
  25. Craig Torso

Craig Torso Active Member

My first copy of Ram had a sliced Apple with the A side shaded from green to red. Has anyone else come across this? As a kid I thought it was meant to represent ripening. Unfortunately, that copy was stolen in a recent move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.