The Ramones - Pleasant Dreams

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

I kind of ignored this album compared to the ones before it. I played the CD recently and can't get enough of it. I need to stop playing it so I don't get sick of it.

2. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Not the best but still is a good album.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'd say it's their best album after the first four. An improvement over End of the Century and better than anything that came after. KKK is among their top ten best songs.

4. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Extremely underrated, as is most of their material after the first four records. It really highlights Joey's vocals both in terms of production and the material chosen for the record.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Love it. I think they got what they wanted out of Graham Gouldman, namely an album that brought out their British Invasion roots.

Hep Alien and intv7 like this.
  6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Been my favorite Ramones album since the day it came out.

Eesfahanian, Davidmk5 and dangiedr like this.
  7. sami

sami Mono still rules

The first four (and It's Alive) are classics and all essential, and the next four all have their moments - Subterranean Jungle is my favorite out of that group. "She's a Sensation" is just a great pure pop tune from PD, an area where the Ramones were never given enough credit.

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Probably my 6th favorite behind the first 4 and Too Tough To Die.......really good album.

Love "It's Not My Place (In the 9 to 5 World)"

9. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Adore this LP!!!

Eesfahanian likes this.
  10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm with this , bought the Vinyl right when it came out & just loved this album ...certainly show joeys love for 50'/60's girl group type music , some great melody & writing ...... Underrated Gem in the catalog for sure .

Eesfahanian and Hep Alien like this.
  11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good production, a definite step up from the Spector attempt. Still on my playlist.

12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I love this album. Anybody know if there will be a Sire Albums box set #2? Animal Boy is my fave.

Eesfahanian likes this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Good one, but ya know, my fav will always be Brain Drain. Shows that the Ramones are actually great songwriters.

14. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I was going to say, usually it's Too Tough to Die that gets the nod from fans out of the albums '80s onward... would be interesting if Pleasant Dreams overtakes it in the general consensus.

brianvargo likes this.
  15. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

I remember in 1980 all the negative reviews focusing on Gouldman's smooth production, but it's aged well. Great album and their most pop-oriented. My favorite: "She's a Sensation".

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  16. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Tough call between this and Subterranean Jungle for my 5th favorite Ramones album but since I can't stop from singing along to "She's a sensation" and "The KKK took my baby away", I'm gonna have to give the nod to this one. Pleasant dreams indeed.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I love that album too. I think some Ramones fans missed it because they jumped off the wagon after EOTC, feeling it wasn't real punk like they were used to from the band. I agree with the other poster- the first five are special, necessary and iconic, and the rest of the catalog is just extra gravy, lol...

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Love it here too esp. She's a Sensation. Especially pleasing is waking up early, checking the forums over breakfast and feeling the love (with no negativity so far) for the Ramones :righton:

905 and Shak Cohen like this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I like TTTD, but I think it's overrated. The attempts at metal seem silly, and the HC tracks feel like the tail wagging the dog. And (comments by Tommy and Johnny notwithstanding) I don't think it rocks any harder than the two albums directly preceding it. And Richie is probably too good a drummer for the band.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

There's the first three albums, and then Pleasant Dreams almost ties Road to Ruin for the fourth spot in the Ramones rankings for me. The addition of "Touring" on the 2002 remaster made it even better.

DrZhivago likes this.
  21. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Thats exactly how i rate it. It gets more rotation than any other Ramones album here lately. My goto version is 1981 West German vinyl , and it sounds fabulous. Most of the CD masterings i heard were severely lacking. Harsh and compressed. Great album artwork too.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is my favorite Ramones album.

Yes, the production is a little light-weight and lacks the muscle of their first four masterworks but the songs here are wonderful, loaded with great hooks. Joey's songwriting really shines. I love this record.

palisantrancho, Eesfahanian and Mr. H like this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

It's a fantastic, underrated album that's pretty much almost on par with the first four.

I also happen to think that End Of The Century is almost as good as this one, so that run of six studio albums (plus It's Alive!), to me, is their classic period. They didn't make a real misstep until Subterranean Jungle.

starduster likes this.
  24. I love Pleasant Dreams. It's a great album, fully worthy of comparison with their iconic first four.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

And even that's not terrible.

starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.