Best single record store in either Memphis or Nashville combined???

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by shinedaddy, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all
    I will be driving through Tenn Monday and woudl love to stop off at a single great record store. I have searched the archives and found nothing very recent on Nashville or Memphis record stores. Any updates?

I have Shngri-la in Memphis and The Great Escape in Nashville. also Grimey's in Nashville....

so whats out there? I am looking for the usual.....rock and soul/r&b from 1965-1975. and I am PARTICULARLY interested in high end UK imports of bands like Yes, Cream, Zep, Traffic.....you get the idea.

what store is the single best shot I have in TN!!

2. brucewayne1411

brucewayne1411 New Member

3. shinedaddy

is that even a store? i thought it was just a label.

4. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'm from the Eastern side of the state, and haven't been to either city in a while, but I'll still make a few comments. My initial answer would be-it depends on what you are looking for. As a huge fan of Memphis music, I was a bit disappointed at the selection. I do recall that Shangri-La was the best that I went to.

In Nashville, I have spent much time and money browsing these stores. If you are looking for a great selection and a good price, I always thought the Great Escape was pretty good. The last time I was there, was before the flood wiped out one of the stores, and they actually had 2 stores in Nashville at the time. Phonoluxe had a good selection, but I thought they were a bit pricey. I have never been to Grimey's but would love to go soon.

The last store that I'll mention is a store downtown(on Broadway, I think) near the Ernest Tubb record store. The name of the store is Lawrence Record Shop. It's an old store, and it's almost like walking into a store that was frozen in time. Many of the records are still sealed with the price tag from 20-30 years ago still visible. Not sure it's still there, but it was fun to look at the records there.

EDIT: just found a link. http://lawrencerecordshop.com/index.html

5. brucewayne1411

brucewayne1411 New Member

I have Shngri-la in Memphis and The Great Escape in Nashville. also Grimey's in Nashville....

Long Live Analog likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Address: 623 7th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203
    Phone : (615) 891-4393
    Hours: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

7. shinedaddy

went to fond objects in nashville. no good for me, but it was recommended when i was at grimeys. grimeys reminded me of exactly what they carry at bookmans stores in arizona...also terrible. thrift store junk, 99% of it.....then went to great escape, that was even worse.........so nashville was the worst possible. all this is imo, and ymmv. for good rock titles there was zero....drove like crazy and made it to memphis and hit shangri la...finally a good store!! had 45 min which wasnt enough but could plainly see they were serious. bought a total of 8 records in tn.......on to texas.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  8. Myke

Well, for four years now, I've bought my records mainly from the classifieds right here, so what does that tell you ?

9. shinedaddy

touche.......i can totally understand your plight.

10. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Well, I've always enjoyed shopping at Grimey's.

I've found their new CD and vinyl selection quite deep. Their used CD bins contain lots of the usual suspects (but who's doesn't?) and I have discovered great items in the used vinyl section, several at a very good price. It's crowded in there, but that's how I want my record shop to be. A good selection of box sets, magazines and related music items, too. And if I remember correctly, Third Man is just over the hill only a few minutes away from Grimey's. I always find something worth buying when I shop there. I drive a couple of hours each way a few times a year to shop there.

Selections and prices on the internet will almost always be better. But sometimes I just gotta go browse and, you know, interact with other music lovers face-to-face.

11. Myke

I forgot The Groove in East Nashville, where their jaws dropped when I brought in UK original Beatles in stereo.
    What the owner didn't take home for himself, they mounted up on the wall !!!
    Those and a few other titles that shocked them ( rarity and esp. condition )...
    Now where do you think they came from ? :winkgrin:

Raunchnroll
    Cassius
    Klownschool
    and more

Mr. H likes this.
  12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I liked Shagri La when I went there a few years ago. I definitely could have used more time in there to get through the vinyl. The CD selection was small, but I did find a few things.

13. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Nashville, Grimey's Music, The Groove, Great Escape, Third Man Records, Phonoluxe Records

Memphis, Shangri - La Records, Goner Records

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I haven't been to the GREAT ESCAPE since they were flooded several years ago. I know that they lost quie a bit of inventory, but not sure how much. Was their inventory low, or just low on rock? Maybe I was looking at old country lps. I know I always spent a couple hours at their downtown store.

15. Long Live Analog

Since they moved from Broadway to the Charlotte location their inventory has grown. Easier to navigate through the store plus it's much cleaner with better parking. I go there once or twice a week.

16. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Hopefully I'll have better luck than @shinedaddy when I visit this weekend!

17. shinedaddy

yeah good luck..I only had about 2 hours in each city so I RAN through those stores, man!

18. Long Live Analog

Rob, check out Grimey's, Grimey's Two (used and bookstore) The Groove, Phonoluxe, Third Man Records. The store I work at, Brians Custom Theatres & Hi Fi we sell vintage vinyl, first pressings and hard to find titles. We're open Wed-Sat. so if you're in town mid week or later drop by for a visit...

When checking out Memphis, Shangri La and Goner Records are both highly recommended...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    rob303 likes this.
  19. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Nice! Yeah, "vintage vinyl, first pressings and hard to find titles" is exactly what I'm looking for! I much prefer to get stuff at stores than on the interwebs. Thanks for the tip!

20. Long Live Analog

Rob, the store hours are 12-6 Wed - Fri and 11 -5 on Saturday. I'll be there Thurs. if you're in town. Got some nice 2 channel hi fi also...

rob303 likes this.
  21. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

I have a collection of 80s-90s commercial country CDs to sell. Any of these stores stand out as the best prospect for fair pricing?

22. Long Live Analog

Try the Great Escape however they may or may not take them due to overload on certain titles. Might try Grimeys but they are very selective in their purchasing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.