Record clamp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good record clamp? macster mentioned a record clamp and periphery ring in another thread which sounds interesting. I'd like to flatten warps and generally improving sound quality is of course always welcome.

I have a Clearaudio Concept turntable. Would the Concept clamp be a good choice?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Concept-Record-Clamp

2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Small center clamps aren't that great for warps. Periphery rings are the best solution.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. audiorocks

Is there one you'd recommend?

What about a twist-down clamp like the Clearaudio Twister?

4. Clamps or weights won't reduce the profile of warped records to any noticeable degree. Only a periphery ring can do that.

5. audiorocks

6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I originally had the Clearaudio Twister for my Ovation. I found it to be sort of a PITA to always twist and untwist, especially since I like to keep my platter spinning rather than stopping it between each record side. I replaced it with the Clearaudio Quadro clamp, and like that much better.

7. audiorocks

Is a mat generally used with a clamp or is it either-or?

8. Josquin des Prez

Use of mats and clamps are both turntable dependent. There is no general advice that applies, IMHO. I use a clamp, as recommended for my table, and I do not use a mat, as recommended for my table.

9. audiorocks

Anybody know for the Clearaudio Concept?

10. Josquin des Prez

11. Josquin des Prez

Clearaudio makes a clamp specifically for the Concept (looks kind of like a hockey puck), but the Twister or Quadro will do as well.

12. audiorocks

13. Josquin des Prez

FWIW: I once tried a felt mat left over from my Rega days on my Clearaudio Ovation and it killed the sound. Made it dull and lifeless, taking the airy soundstage and detail away. It was like putting a blanket over my speakers.

14. audiorocks

Nice, do you use a clamp on that thing?

15. Josquin des Prez

Yes, Clearaudio Quadro clamp, as mentioned above. It's a bit more expensive than the Twister and Concept clamps, but I like it very much. I've been using for almost two years now.

[​IMG]

16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

ha, $1350 for a clamp. you are better off getting some unwarped records or one of those vinyl flatter (de-warpng) devices IMO.

But, a center clamp can help with dished LPs in some cases. Some are designed to work with a thin "washer" so it can bend the record a bit. But they can't do anything for edge warps.

17. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I used to use a Sota or a michell clamp that twisted down to lock. But I decided i didn't like pushing down on the tt bearing like that. So now I just use a weight-type clamp (bren 1). My experience with clamps is, if they make any difference in the sound it is minimal. But I am kind of immune to tweaky things. I have never heard any type of tweak make a huge difference the way some people claim. Maybe minor effects but nothing that you could say was dramatic. That is usually reserved to component changes.

ashulman and Ghostworld like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I agree. I've tried various weight and clamps over the years and ever found enough improvement to warrant continue using them.

19. Josquin des Prez

Of course for dish warps, a center clamp only helps when playing one side of it. A ring clamp and center clamp together help for both sides of warped records.

I agree $1350 for a ring clamp is expensive.

utahusker likes this.
  20. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

A clamp or weight in the center can help to a very limited extent with warps or it can make matters worse, depending on the shape of the platter itself. A "reflex" clamp might help a little with dish warp, but, again it depends on the platter. With a reflex clamp, a rubber washer is placed on the spindle so that when the record is placed on the platter, the center of the record is raised. The clamp then actually bends the record to flatten it against the platter. That force is best applied by screwing down a clamp on a spindle with corresponding screw teeth cut into it (like certain VPI spindles). Applying the downward force by weight could be problematic--the weight would have to be very high which could increase bearing wear and noise transmission by the bearing.

I think periperal rings to be a big PITA. One has to be really careful not to accidentally hit the cartridge cantilever or the tonearm when putting it on and taking it off. One has to be really careful about cueing the needle so that it clears the ring (some cartridges with wide bodies and styli as short exposed cantilevers will not work with some rings). On the plus side, I have heard improvement in sound, with non-warped records, so I can see someone else living with the trouble of a ring.

My table comes with a vacuum clamp which can help with mild warps, although warps make it much harder to get the vacuum clamp to work at all. The primary benefit of clamping, vacuum or otherwise, is to more intimately couple the record to the platter or mat so that the platter dampens vibration in the vinyl caused by the stylus tracking the groove; any effect on warps is secondary.

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I disagree. It is $1350 for the Outer Limit ring, not the clamp. I have one of these and use it with my Clearaudio Innovation Compact Wood TT. When you have a very large record collection a ring can be a godsend. It is very heavy and flattens every warped record I have tried on my TT. It was $1200 when I pruchased mine and it has been worth every penny.

YMMV, of course.

22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

My JA Mitchell Engineering clamp made of Delrin works well with my Groovetracer Delrin platter on my Rega RP-6

23. audiorocks

24. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

OK, $1350 for a metal ring. For a lot of people, even here, it will be more than the cost of their turntable. I have looked at them and I think its a lot of money soe something that may cause you other issues (as someone mentioned, cartridge geometries that won't work, risk of damage).

I still think the best way to deal with warps is avoid them or fix them (or just live with them - not always audible). I guess there are some tables with vacuum hold down that might help (does it?), but those seem a bit rare these days and probably problematic in the long run.

Also people should remember that some tables (mostly on the inexpensive side) aren't really designed to work with (heavy) clamps, the motor probably not really spec'd for the added weight.

25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I posted the following in another thread, but felt it should be mentioned here as well:

I received my VPI Stainless Steel clamp yesterday, and was very eager to hear what it would do over the stock, all plastic Delrin clamp that came with my Scoutmaster. I pulled out a Canadian pressing of Cat Steven's Tea For the Tillerman and played Wild World. The clamp is nicely made and about four times as heavy as the stock clamp. The sound was wonderful, as I always recall that it was. And here's the thing-----as with many upgrades---you don't know how improved or different something is UNTIL you go back to the older product. I then removed the new Stainless steel clamp and used my original all plastic standard clamp. I played the same song, Wild World. What happened??? Wow. The sound was uninvolving and lifeless. The clarity and separation was lacking from what I just heard with the new clamp. I'll be damned! Really, I was surprised that I heard this kind of difference. I got up and replaced the standard clamp with the new Stainless steel one and replayed the same cut. Ahhhhhh. The clarity and drive returned. And the thing is I never felt anything was missing UNTIL I put the upgraded product into play. Wow. The damn thing really does work. For those who say that they can't tell a difference, I say your system is therefore not resolving enough to detect differences. Make other changes first. Don't dismiss this $150 upgrade if you are using the standard plastic clamp. And, most audio stores will offer you a full refund if you don't like what you hear. How can you go wrong? Don't hear an upgrade, send it back. But I think on most systems, the difference will be noticeable as it was on mine. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.