when did hendrix's posthumous albums become unimportant to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

^Maybe beacause those shows weren't so good? I've got both shows from Stockholm '69 and they're enjoyable but pretty ragged. Although they did release the entire IOW '70 set, so...

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have the Oakland show on Dagger. I last 2 Dagger audience recordings I have on bootleg.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well I don't want to derail this thread too much re: EH (for the record I'm by no means a die hard supporter) but Alan Douglas was definitely as bad. He actually gave himself writing credit on Crash Landing, which meant he got publishing money he was not entitled to. When Leo Branton was in charge of the estate (and Alan was his "boy"), the Hendrix family wasn't getting much money at all and neither were any of Jimi's sidemen. In fact, this was the basis of them suing Branton and getting control of the estate back by the mid-90s. Say what you want about Janie, but Jimi's dad Al was the one that allowed her to run Experience Hendrix. Issues with Leon and Jimi's kids aside (granted this is a large aside), Jimi's extended family seems to have seen much more money from his works under EH's administration.

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'll give you the first set from Stockholm is rough (that didn't stop them from putting some of the video out on DVD though) but most fans put the second set way up there in terms of Jimi's best shows. It'd take set 2 from Stockholm '69 over ANY of IOW any day. Check it out again if you're so inclined; it smokes!!

5. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I think everything should be released from the vaults, I'd rather have the opportunity to buy it than not.

footlooseman, John Fell and DrBeatle like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I enjoy the posthumous releases.

footlooseman likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I've bought a couple of the releases without overdubs but have never bothered with any of the posthumously overdubbed material.
    WHile I respect his work, I am not that huge a Hendrix fan to begin with, though I really like some folks that he was a huge influence on, like Funkadelic.

8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The band shared a lude between the 1st and 2nd set. And they say drugs are bad.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

That was the last one I bought too. After that, I lost all interest. I'm quite a bit older than you and I can remember buying the original JHE albums in the lates 60s.

10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Cry Of Love.

11. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I'd say right about when Experience Hendrix made the move from MCA to Sony that my interest waned somewhat, particularly when the 2010 reissues of the core albums turned out to be little more than a money grab (no new remastering or deluxe editions, but instead coupled with lame DVDs). Up until that point, I thought the EH releases were mostly improvements over what appeared during the Douglas era (i.e. original mixes, restored artwork, the purple box set, etc.), and having the separate Dagger line was a good idea, but even though there has been some excellent material unearthed on sets such as Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell, and Angels, these just haven't exactly wowed me like they probably should, despite also featuring arguably better mastering choices than previous EH products (First Rays, I'm looking at you!). I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but perhaps marketing "the interesting stuff" (as One Louder puts it) as B-sides and store exclusives, plus touting the official releases as containing all new material, which is a bit misleading, has something to do with it.

I won't go so far as to say that posthumous Hendrix albums have become "unimportant" to me, as I'd still like to see Black Gold, a mono Are You Experienced CD (along with Axis plus all the stray mono singles), the Royal Albert Hall concert, etc. In fact, I too enjoy some of the most maligned releases out there, even knowing that they are objectively awful:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...but-you-kinda-like.329778/page-9#post-9438289

Short answer: Jimi has not become unimportant, but Experience Hendrix largely has!

Maidenpriest likes this.
  12. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I am a casual Hendrix fan but have fallen prey. When Sony got hold of the catalog and did all of their own reissues, I finally broke down and bought First Days of the New Rising Sun since it was part of that reissue campaign when I bought all the new Sony versions of the studio albums (I didn't have any Hendrix studio LPs on disc...just vinyl up until then). I hadn't bought any of the other posthumous studio things that came out beginning after his death. Then I thought I was on a roll and bought Valleys of Neptune (the Target edition with bonus tracks, no less) and, as a casual fan, then realized I wasted my time and money. When People, Hell, & Angels came out I steered far away. A friend gave me a copy of Blues, which I have held onto but never would have bought on my own.

Live stuff, though, I have bought: Band of Gypsys 2 and the Stages box, and then I got a copy of the Winterland box in a Christmas raffle. But I consider live stuff to be a different bag than the diminishing returns of the phony "new studio albums."

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You should check out the Experience jam album "Hear My Music" (Dagger Records).

14. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Nothing after Cry of Love which I like.

15. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Me too. I just take the best stuff off each new release and add it to my personal "1st Rays of the New Rising Sun"

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm sure Jimi would have loved hearing his final set of works referred to as scraps.:rolleyes::thumbsdow

17. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

Two overall mediocre albums that have a few stellar highlights. The drum overdubs are unobtrusive and Jeff Mironov's guitar parts add a lot to the raw takes. The only overdubs that sound out of place are the backing vocals on "Crash Landing" and "Midnight Lighning." The mix is generally serviceable. Audio fidelity is high. Crash Landing is the stronger collection, but Midnight Lightning has an excellent version of "Trash Man" and the beautiful "Gypsy Boy," which seems to be excerpted from an early run-through of "Hey Baby."

dino77 and Maidenpriest like this.
  18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

when did hendrix's posthumous albums become unimportant to you?

Never.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have to disagree. What I will confess to is that since I came to Crash Landing MUCH later, I couldn't undo the fact that I'd heard the CL tracks without the new overdubs. If I'd never known there were overdubs or had never heard the original versions, who knows, perhaps I'd love Crash Landing. That being said, I think Jeff Mirnov's guitar parts ruin songs like Peace In Mississippi. I cringe every time I hear his fills; they just don't "fit" the song IMO. I agree that the drumming is less obtrusive. Alan Schwartzberg did a better job on "Somewhere" than either Buddy or Mitch for example (I never understood why Mitch had such timing issues with that track). Also, raw versions of "Trash Man" and "(Hey) Gypsy Boy" have since been released officially and I don't think the Alan Douglas versions improve on the raw tracks in any way.

Power Of Soul and Message To Love are my favorite tracks on Crash Landing and it turns out they were the least doctored.

20. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I can assure you that adopted children - no matter what the circumstance - are every bit as loved, every single bit as important and every bit as part of the family as any and all biological children are.

Frankly, I'm finding a lot of the comments posted here offensive and inappropriate.

21. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

Those are probably my least favorite tracks. Hendrix's neo-soul posturing has always rubbed me the wrong way.

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You and Mike Jeffery, his manager. He supposedly hated "Earth Blues" with a passion. I, however, loves me some Band Of Gypsys :winkgrin:!!! The live versions of these tracks are really great as well (again, IMO). As always, to each their own. I always saw these songs as getting back to his roots more than neo-soul posturing. Jimi obviously played R&B and blues before recording with the Experience and although he found the format restricting (he tired of the suits, the choreographed moves and the fact that he couldn't stretch out as a musician) I think his fingerprints can almost always been seen in his later style. Reconnecting with his old army buddy Billy Cox (and to a lesser extent, playing with Buddy Miles) certainly influenced his style at the time these songs were written and recorded. Even when Mitch was back in the fold, I don't think songs like "Dolly Dagger" would have come to fruition if Noel had still been around, but that's another huge digression for another thread.

tdgrnwld likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I don't have too much of a problem of Janie running the estate and calling herself a "Jimi's step sister" or "head of the Hendrix estate". Many also have a problem with her living a jet set lifestyle with some Jimi blood relatives may not be financially buoyant.

1) She has told members of the media to refer her as Jimi biological sister. Even her own legal team in the mid 90's weren't sure on her exact relationship to Al Hendrix. Also keep in mind Jimi may have as many as 5 full/half siblings.

2) She didn't deliver money promised to biological family members of Jimi until she was successfully challenged in court and stripped of her role in the family trust.

3) AFAIK, Jane the devout Christian has never given any money to either Jimi's 2 biological children(couple grand kids as well). I think Al gave Jimi's bio daughter a couple checks. The son in Sweden may get court appointed royalties from that country.

4) Al Hendrix gave up 2 of Jimi's siblings up for adoption. Jimi/Leon got shuffled around to stay 1 step ahead of US child services(including several trips to Canada). I'm not even sure if Janie was legally adopted before Jimi died. Jimi's mom may have had other kids that were adopted out(her life is poorly documented). Another book claimed Al Hendrix quietly fathered a kid in the 80's.

EasterEverywhere and dino77 like this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

If you live in Utopia, perhaps. Jimi had a broken home with an alcoholic, occasionally abusive father. Listen to "51st Anniversary" for Jimi's feelings on marriage and family life. Please read SoundAdvice's post for a fuller picture. Anyway, moving on....

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

What do you mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.