Amazon lets sellers add more pictures now!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by quicksrt, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member Thread Starter

It used to be that you could add pictures only with a pro-account, and that any picture you added was for the item in general.

But the last few days I have been listing a ton of LPs, and I see that you can add a bunch of photos of your item for "your" listing. It's kind of good that they added this. For once Amazon did something ebay has always done. Usually it is the other way around, with ebay copying each and every move from Amazon.

I have tons of LPs that are just too much work to list on ebay right now. I'm to busy at the moment to create new listings from scratch. So I have been listing a lot on Amazon the last week or so. Some of my LPs I have scans of them already on file. So it was nice to just grab the existing jpg and drop it right in.

Many or at least some of my LPs do not have a place card at Amazon. If I see that then I just skip it and move to the next LP. I want to get about 1000 items up like I had a few years ago. Once you do that you can sit back and watch a few sales happen each week for several years. It's the slow way to sell, but you end up with higher selling prices this way.

2. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

How does a person find a specific seller (um, like you, quicksrt) on Amazon? (I've just wasted considerable time just now, hoping to find this info! [Yes, I struck out.] Amazon could be a lot more helpful with its "help.")

And, if you don't mind saying, quicksrt, what is your "third-party seller" self called on Amazon?

Even if you are called "quicksrt," I'm flummoxed about where to plug that into an Amazon field to see all your listings (with photos now). How is that done?

(It might be obvious from the tone of what I write, but this kind of crap/time-wastin' is particularly galling to me vis-a-vis Amazon. I've done a ton of buying on eBay. Amazon often seems way less than intuitive. For example, can a person set up a search on Amazon for a particular piece of vinyl--for instance, Kim Richey's "Bittersweet" [which probably doesn't exist, but I'm wishing it did]--and then get an email when an Amazon seller has listed that LP?)

While I'm off-on-a-tangent, I've heard of setting a maximum price to pay for a certain item--say, $1 for the Buzzcocks' SINGLES GOING STEADY. How is that kind of thing done on Amazon?

(Yeah, I probably don't need the temptation, but tell me anyway if you [or any other Amazonian expert] has the time or inclination. . . .)

Sorry for ranting and thanks for the interesting post above! (I hope it doesn't seem as if I'm high-jacking your thread. If so, sorry and ignore--or PM me maybe?)

Chaz

3. quicksrt

No, not at all. I like people who ask lots of question of the intelligent kind.

I might have very littlle of interest to you on Amazon. It's heavy on 20th Century Classical, old poor selling LPs from 60s/70s that were very uncool, but now still sealed can fetch a $20 bill on a good day.

The way to find a sellers items is to find one item that they sell, and then click on their name and see storefront. I'm sure there is a way to look up a seller by name, but I don't know how.

4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

On the maximum price issue, I've never heard of being able to do that, other than searching for the item and checking the offers.

6. quicksrt

Seller can only add the pictures if the media item is used. A still sealed copy does not offer that option btw. I have listed a few items that were still sealed - as "Like New" (rather then New) just so I could add my pictures. I really want pictures especially when none of the other sellers have them (for that item), nor the main item has one, or the picture up looks awful. I like to be the only seller with some amazing looking pictures of a given item. I think it makes my item "jump outta the screen" at them. It says "buy me" I am the better one! LOL!

btw, the added picture thing might have been around for a while. I had not added items to my account for more than two years. I was living off of old listings, and had not updated in quite some time. I just the last two weeks or less have loaded up more stuff, and I have a large scanner next to me, and I drop an LP on that as I type out my item Condition description.

I tend to really market myself in that Condition description box as well. I always end my description with "I know how to pack LPs, and I ship fast, no worries!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

If you use HTML in your listing you can use (hotlink) as many pics as you want - correct? At least that is what i've done in the past - that way you get around ebay restrictions.

8. quicksrt

Yes this is true for eBay. I use my own hosting for pictures on eBay but not for this reason. I simply want larger pictures, and not reduced resolution. And I want them deleted when I want them deleted.

Amazon does mot permit any HTML or links at all.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The ability to add pictures for used items has been available for many months now. As others have noted, you cannot add pictures for new items.

10. quicksrt

I just looked at my items for the first, the first time looking at all offers including mine on the Amazon offers page. I am the only seller I saw on any listings of my items with pictures added specific to that item.

Mine will say Like New or Very Good and have as picture right there that you can click on and get a larger view. I think it's going to be very effective for making my item stand out. These obscure titles need all the help that they can get.

11. quicksrt

And as I noted, I am loading pictures into my New items listings as well, but by calling them Like New. Downgrading the condition and then stating "still sealed" in the listing, then attaching pictures.

It's a good trick, and not over-grading or harming a potential buyer. I can sleep well at night.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Works OK if you're not selling through Amazon FBA. However, if you're selling through Amazon FBA, you can only get the buy box if you sell something listed as new...

13. quicksrt

I can't afford to ever have Amazon fulfill my orders, can't give up anymore of the cut to them.

Plus I like to include a "$5 off" coupon in my orders going out, good at my Ecrater Store. Cross marketing, harvesting new customers through Amazon and eBay.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

FBA is not so bad, as long as whatever you're selling sells for around $12 or more...The FBA cut is big (bigger than the standard Amazon 3rd party price), but if you can get the buy box, you can sell a lot of stuff even at a higher shipped price.

To give one example, I've sold a bunch of copies of a CD on FBA. The cheapest new listing, seller fulfilled (seller with good feedback) is around $5, and was previously around $4. ($9 / $8 with shipping). My FBA listing is around $14. Amazon's price is around $16.

I get the Buy Box and sell way more copies than the cheapest new listing without FBA. My net is a little less than $8 (or $9 if a pro seller). The guy selling at $5+$4 S/H is netting maybe $4 each (or $5 if a pro seller) and has to deal with packaging, shipping, and lost/damaged mail.

15. quicksrt

My "new" copies of items are one offs. I have only one copy of a given sealed LP. The main problem I'd have with sending to Amazon is that I like to have that item listed on ebay (sometimes, now and again), and I like to have it listed up at my Ecrater store for sale. So when it sells at one venue, I need to have it on hand to ship out fast. I also need to pull it down from Amazon if I blew it out on ebay. It can get confusing, but I am keeping track of where everything is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.