INXS LP Boxed Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by celticbob, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I agree with you, i have nice copies on vinyl of The Swing, Thieves, Kick and X. Not shure i'm interested in anything prior The Swing but definitley on Full Moon, Welcome and Elegantly Wasted, but not forking out $$ for the box set.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, X took me awhile to find, but it is out there, and came out so late in the vinyl era that most copies were probably hardly ever played. Not a great LP, but it has its moments.

4. Szeppelin75

I found mine in Copenhagen two years ago, and it was hardly ever played. i like it, i mean it's no Kick but like you say has its moments.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have all their albums on vinyl, except Elegantly Wasted, which has never been in vinyl.

Full Moon on vinyl is probably the worst sounding lp I own. It must sounded terrible on CD. Almost tempted to buy that again?

Btw, Mofi Kick lp pressing is good. Aussie pressing is also excellent.

6. walrus

Haven't played mine in awhile, but i don't remember it being that bad, just unremarkable. Saw it for around $8 at a used LP shop in Ohio, and was like "hell, how can I not buy this?" It's from Brazil, maybe? Definitely a South American pressing, although I can't recall exactly where right now. Where is yours from?

Weird that I found Full Moon easily, but have never seen Welcome To Wherever You Are...which is my favorite INXS record.

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Yours would be from Columbia - perhaps I should track down a copy of that :D

Mine is UK pressing, as is my pressing of Welcome.... You wold have to look at discogs if you wanted a copy, or wait til November when the single lp's are released.

walrus likes this.
  8. walrus

Oh, I know i can get Welcome... on discogs or ebay. Just usually more than I'm willing to pay for an LP I know won't be anything special. It's more in that category of "having it just to have it," like that Holland LP of Billy Joel's River Of Dreams I stumbled upon once. If I see it in a store, I can't resist, but online, I have several clicks to go "wait...do I really need this??" :laugh:

stodgers and Rodz42 like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you don't think so? after listen like thieves, i think X holds up better than Kick as a whole.

regarding the LP, most copies that I see are BMG music service, but man does it sound good.

10. I prefer X to Kick myself.

11. walrus

To me, it always seemed like "Kick Part II," same producer, same basic formula, just without the great deep cuts like "Calling All Nations" or the title track that made Kick a great top-to-bottom listen. X's singles were great, and "The Stairs" is killer, but beyond the killer "Bitter Tears," side 2 is pretty unmemorable, IMO, at least next to Kick.

On the other hand, I was 6 when Kick came out, so I didn't live through all the hoopla and inevitable radio overexposure...if I had, I could definitely see myself still being kinda burnt out on that record compared to other INXS LP's. But I kind of got their whole catalog around the same time, many years later, so it's all kind of on an even playing field for me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. Szeppelin75

Kick to me is the perfect pop rock álbum, even side 2 is memorable. X, while i like the singles and some of the songs specially hear That Sound, on My Way and Know the Difference feel like fillers to me.

stodgers likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You are correct - the band was on Atlantic in the US for all but EW, which was on Mercury. I really like that album and would have liked to hear where they would have headed next. Sadly we won't know (and I don't count the albums without Hutchence).

14. Szeppelin75

I was watching previews online of the australian tv mini series INXS: Never tear Us Apart about the band, looked interesting. Anyone saw it?

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It was unusually good. Even if the resemblance of some actors was off the mark.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  16. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Huh. Just picked up a NM 1987 Kick for $6 today. Sounds fantastic. I was expecting a harsh top end but the whole thing was punchy and great. (More kick drum than actual bass, but that's the original recording.) There was a second copy there too, not as clean tho.

I assume one would buy this set for the early couple records, and then X onwards. Personally, I'd like a really clean copy of LLT and then I'm done.

17. walrus

Is there any way to (legally) watch this in the States? I'd be curious to see it. Wonder if Netflix or Hulu will ever pick it up...I don't know what kind of things are in place for US broadcasts of Aussie productions.

18. abefroman1971

abefroman1971 Member

I always wished Elegantly Wasted was released on vinyl.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  19. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Agreed. Listen Like Thieves, Shboo Shbah, and The Swing are plentify in fantastic shape for not much.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

My friend ripped an HD copy and we watched it together. Importing a blu/DVD copy to play in an all region player may be the extent of your legal options.

21. walrus

Damn. I have no need to own this...it's not something I'd watch more than once, I'm just curious, since it got surprisingly positive reviews even from INXS fans. I realized I've been listening to them since the late 90's and don't know much about their history beyond the records (and Michael's death, obviously). Maybe it will make it's way to Netflix or something eventually. It's not like they're making any international money on it otherwise.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I recommend the official bio that came out a few years ago. Good read and fairly revealing about the highs and the lows.

23. walrus

Didn't even know there was one. Admittedly I didn't really keep up with their current activities after the reality show. I'll look into this.

24. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I actually just found this book during a $2.99 sale at a local Hastings. Haven't committed to it yet, just some random paging. But, it seems to be pretty interesting. :righton:

25. walrus

Damn. It's like, $1 used on Amazon. Wish ebooks were this cheap. :sigh:

theshape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.