James Garner dead at 86

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved the man...been a fan since I was a kid...R.I.P...

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I remember those now.

I liked what he did in 'They Only Kill Their Masters'. Especially near the end of it, when he sets his staff straight on the new IBM Selectric typewriter. "It has a platen; what it doesn't have is a carriage." :)

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'The Rockford Files' was his signature role for me. One of the best, if not the best private eye series ever. A very likable actor, easy to feel great affection for man. R.I.P.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  4. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Goodbye Jim. Thanks for all the great memories, and say hello to "Rocky" for us.

[​IMG]

Fullbug, artfromtex, Paul J and 2 others like this.
  5. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Great actor. Maverick, The Rockford Files. I always liked those westerns he made in the late 1960s and early 1970s called Support Your Local Sherriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter. Great actor. He was good in drama, as well as, comedy. R.I.P.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

I still remembering watching some Rockford Files as a kid with my grandfather in the early 80s.

RIP James Garner.

7. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Guys I'm having a real tough time dealing with this. I've loved James Garner and the Rockford files my entire life. Tonight, I watched an episode of Rockford Files on Youtube (Yes... I've had the DVD's like, forever...just didn't feel like digging them out is all, and there are a LOT on there).

I'm just like really, really upset about this. Any words?

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

R.I.P. Mr. Garner. The Maverick episodes you were a part of were some of the best T.V. of all time.

9. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Any word on a TCM tribute?

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

He had a nice long life, he did what he enjoyed and was loved by millions of people. What more could a man ask for in life? Don't grieve for his death, celebrate the life he led.

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Thank you. It's just such a shock... here is a guy who has been there my whole life, now gone. As a child, I won't give you the details but it was a very, very dismal and depressing childhood - watching "The Rockford Files" was definitely a shining light in my life. Often all I had was the TV to keep my occupied, period. Chop that down to 3-4 watchable stations, and when The Rockford Files came on, it was beyond comforting.

Mister Charlie and SMcFarlane like this.
  12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I loved Maverick when I was a kid, and later I also enjoyed the Rockford Files. He was always a cool dude, and the ladies swooned for him.

13. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Yes, there will be one on Monday, July 28th featuring the following:

6:00 AM Toward the Unknown
    8:00 AM Shoot-out at Medicine Bend
    9:30 AM Grand Prix
    12:30 PM Cash McCall
    2:15 PM The Wheeler Dealers
    4:00 PM Darby's Rangers
    6:15 PM Mister Buddwing
    8:00 PM The Thrill of it All
    10:00 PM The Americanization of Emily
    12:00 AM The Children's Hour
    2:00 AM Victor/Victoria
    4:30 AM Marlowe

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie...ge-for-James-Garner-Tribute-on-Monday-July-28

Fullbug, Paul J and guy incognito like this.
  14. My first reaction when I heard the news Saturday night..."Oh, ****!!!"...we ALL feel that way about Mr. Garner, Baba!!! The man was universally respected and liked both as an actor and human being...RIP, Jim!!!:cry:

15. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

If any of you haven't seen Mr. Buddwing, try to catch it. It's a really odd and interesting film. Terrific performance by James Garner and a great musical score.

16. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Just saw the TCM notice myself, and am certainly looking forward to it. He was without a doubt one of my favorite actors and played so many great roles in movies and tv. Absolutely loved Maverick, which is probably what got me following his acting career afterwards. I think he carried parts of that character over into many other roles down the road.

17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Support Your Local Sheriff still makes me laugh out loud-for real.

Tommy SB and Fullbug like this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

One of my favorite movies as a teenager in the 80's: Tank

I really liked Murphy's Romance too. And I'll admit I thought he was great in The Notebook.

Very sad that he's passed. A great talent that made it look so effortless you forgot he was acting.

19. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

RIP Jimbo.

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

When I was growing up in Hong Kong during the 70s, it was through my dad that I know of James Garner's work. I can still remember my dad taking me to see "Grand Prix". "Rockford" was my dad's favorite TV show and, right before his own passing in the mid 90s, he was glad to have "Rockford" returning in the TV movies.

I don't know how many of you saw "The Notebook", but James Garner completely stole that film. I think many young people know James Garner through that film.

Btw, this is how Doris Day remembers James Garner (from Doris Day's official website):

RIP Mr. Garner

lukejosephchung likes this.
  21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

NBC Nightly News was still talking about James passing last night, which prompted my wife to say that nobody was playing The Rockford Files theme, so I fired up the McIntosh amp and pre-amp and gave her 450 watts of Mike Post, via the "Tube Tunes" CD on Rhino. Her smile and that cute little dance, that she always does, while sitting on the couch, when she is into a groove, was worth it!

Strangely, a few days prior to his passing, I had set the DVR to record a movie starring him on TCM, called "36 Hours". No matter what he starred in, he was almost always brilliant James Garner and what more could anyone ask for?

R.I.P. Jim

22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Last Christmas I started watching "The Rockford Files" on NetFlix. I remembered it a bit from when I was a kid (born in '73). I didn't remember it too well, but thought I'd watch a few episodes just to see the old clothes and cars. Basically to get a look at 1970's culture.

Well, low and behold I absolutely fall in love with the show and with Mr. Garner. A lot of old TV series, when revisited, don't stand up to the test of time. Not only did "The Rockford Files" measure up, it excelled. What a great, great show. Tremendous characters, casting, and writing. Plus, all the "on location" shooting in CA is really cool to see. In one early episode there's a billboard for "Magnum Force" that is visible and in another episode he pulls through a Jack-In-The Box drive through. Groovy stuff. I watched every episode with delight.

I also discovered that The Sopranos creator David Chase was one of the main contributors to the show as a writer and director. In fact, some Sopranos actors grace a few episodes of "The Rockford Files".

As far as the man goes, I've seen some interviews and read about his life just a little bit, but it's enough to gather that he was a decent, hard-working man who seemed to have a very tender heart. The world would be a better place with more James Garners in it.

:cheers:

guy incognito likes this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

RIP. I have enjoyed so many of his movies and TV shows. His career spanned many decades. A great talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.