19-cd Mellencamp collection for under $80 on amazon.ca

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by mrjinks, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

I ordered @
    Grand Total: USD 82.76

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

VERY tempting , but i think i have 60% of these ....cool set !

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. Good price.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I'm waiting for about $40. (since I see his CDs in the dollar)

mrdiscman and Davidmk5 like this.
  6. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

How's the mastering on this set?

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

In the description it mentions 2005 mastering used on 12 Albums with bonus tracks. Me thinks these are all reissues.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

For those who are seeking opinions about the sound quality of the 2005 remasters (which, based on the Amazon.ca description, seems to be applicable for most of the discs within this box set), here are several older threads that include some discussion of the 2005 remasters:
    Best sounding John Mellencamp
    info on mellencamp remasters...
    First batch of John Mellencamp remasters

And here is another thread discussing this 19-CD box set, in the "Music Corner" forum:
    Massive Career-Spanning John Mellencamp Boxed Set Out This Fall

Craig.

Mooserfan likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think the only two albums in this set I don't regularly see in the $2 bins are the first two--which never sold enough to be widely available as cheapos now...One stop shopping and nice space saving packaging, but it would have to drop a lot more before it would be compelling on the basis of cost benefit analysis.

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I will jump on this if it hits US$60 or less (shipping included). For now, I ordered for my brother's birthday because he's a much bigger Mellencamp fan that I am. I only have a couple of his albums on LP, Lonesome Jubilee on MFSL LP, and the MFSL gold CDs (of Lonesome Jubilee and Scarecrow, right?). I used to have several of his albums on cassette but they're long-gone by now.

So this box set would be a neat, compact way to collect (almost) all of his studio albums in a single swoop. I'm simply not enough of a fan to bother with tracking down the CDs in used bins. But I'm interested enough to get it all at once in a box set. Perhaps I'm exactly the demographic they're targeting? :)

Craig.

11. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

Ordered it, but delivery is delayed....

12. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Delayed until April 1 at this point. (I'm not sure what the delay date was when you posted on January 23, fra_pe.) I also see the price has gone up from about US$80 to US$138. Glad I locked in my pre-order at the lower price, but bummed that my brother's birthday present will now be arriving at least 6 weeks after his birthday. Bleh.

Craig.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Down to $75.93 Cdn:cheers:

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Now the "release date" at Amazon.ca has changed to July 8, 2014. This box set has already been released and has been available for immediate purchase at other merchants, right? Or is there going to be a separate Canadian pressing of this box set, and that's what Amazon.ca is waiting on? I'm starting to worry that my pre-order from January 20 will never be filled...

Amazon.ca - Mellencamp box set (1978-2012) delayed until July 2014.jpg

Craig.

Tjazz likes this.
  15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Now the release date has changed to July 22, 2014. And the pre-order price has skyrocketed to CDN$ 155.05 (approx. US$145).

Has anyone received this box set from Amazon.ca yet?!?

I regret that I ordered this as a birthday present. My brother's birthday was almost five months ago. This may turn into a Christmas present instead. Damn.

Craig.

16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

New delay. Just received this email:

I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged by the fact that this is the first time I've received a message like this from Amazon.ca. Does this mean that they finally have a confident arrival date of this box set from the distributor?

Craig.

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's good news

18. MusicForAll

Hello ,

Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that your item has shipped, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed.
    Scheduled Delivery:
    Thursday, 07/24/2014, By End of Day

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Where did that message come from? Amazon.ca? Some other merchant?

I just checked my orders at Amazon.ca, and now this entry shows as:

:goodie:

Finally my brother's February birthday present will be delivered! Too bad he likely won't receive it before we talk on the phone this Saturday. But next week he should receive it.

Craig.

20. MusicForAll

Amazon.ca

21. schwane

schwane Forum Resident

unbelievable - I just got a shipping email from Amazon.ca - ordered back on Jan 20 at the low price. (mine is also for a friend ;))

22. MusicForAll

Got my set today. It was worth the wait for $80.00. Basic cheap box set.

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I got an alert from UPS earlier today, that the set I bought was delivered to my brother's home. That was quick delivery from Canada! I hope he doesn't already own this box set, after all this. :p

24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I may have been tempted to buy the full box set were it not for (I believe) the use of the 2005 remasters. IMO all the original album cd masters up to and inclusive of Big Daddy are better than the 2005 remasters and render 50% of the big box useless and 100% of the small box set.

Please do your ears a favour and get the pre-2005 mastered CD's individually. Depending on shipping this shouldn't cost too much more anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.