The VPI Listening Room (what should we use?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vpiindustries, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here too much the past week since we have been getting ready for the Capital Audio Show and the Hong Kong Show but we have also been working on another project that I thought you all might want to weigh in on.

We are currently building a huge VPI listening experience with 4 large rooms, potential wet bar, and place to show all sorts of equipment. What do you all think we should load our rooms up with? We currently have one room up with Martin Logans, Classic Direct, Silver Circle... and a bunch of other things. I'll post pictures later.

:frog:

Dan C, HiFi Guy 008, Leigh and 4 others like this.
  2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It would be neat to see a low powered SET system with high efficiency speakers in one room.

A budget system in another room.

And a through the roof high dollar room.

Easy for me to suggest the use of other's money.:D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Jerod, Ntotrar, ZootAllures and 7 others like this.
  3. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. Those items which in your experience provide the best visual and listening experience.
    2. Those items which allow potential buyers to see the upgrade path in your product line, and focus on the future proofing of their investment in your product line.
    3. Those items which educate buyer on the installation of your product line. There is nothing like purchasing a piece of equipment and knowing that you can set it up as the manufacture intended with a minimum amount of effort.
    4. Finally, you should demonstrate the fact "that we are here for you when you run into problems." We "VPI" care about our customers.

Ha!

M~

Jerod likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You need a "Budget" room and you have to make it sound extraordinarily good.

Jerod, mreeter, beowulf and 1 other person like this.
  5. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

. . . and "The Macallan" for the wetbar.

Jerry James and gingerly like this.
  6. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

If I were you I would be asking your Dad. He's probably heard quite a few systems with the tables he designed.

7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

How about an all American listening room?

Maybe Conrad Johnson electronics and Vandersteen speakers.

There are tons of options, they are just the first that come to mind.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Excellent, it's hard to go wrong with CJ and Vandersteen.

M~

9. Chris F

Chris F Well-Known Member

How about a nearfield setup? That might play well with the budget system.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Gear the audio equipment to the price range of the table and cart but also provide a step up table to demonstrate the differences in the tables.

HiFi Guy 008 and 500Homeruns like this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I agree about keeping the equipment used in the same range of the TT. If someone were interested in a given model then the amp/speakers/pre etc should all be reasonable to what someone would spend. Someone using McIntosh and Wilson equipment is not going to be using a Traveler in their system.

It would be interesting to have a Traveler and a Classic Direct both have the same cart feed into the same system and hear the differences in arms/table. It would clearly show the limits of the cheaper table.

Maybe even have some tables from other manufactures that compete at that price point to show the difference between a VPI. Concept/Pro-ject/Avid/SME?

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Good thing you put "budget" in quotes because I think the cheapest VPI table (without cartridge or preamp) costs more than many people here want to pay for their whole system :p

Long Live Analog likes this.
  13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I agree there should be a USA room, but let's show them what the USA can really do. A Classic Direct has to be the source. You have c-j, ARC, VTL, BAT, the new Rogers amps and others that I have forgotten. For speakers Wilson and Magico come to mind, but again I a sure there are others. I personally recommend Kimber Select for the cables.

Mat, How many hi-end stereo shops in the NYC area carry VPI? I would just start making the rounds of these dealers, see what they have and what you think sounds best.

14. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident Thread Starter

HW is making the final decisions on all of the equipment. We want to have the four rooms range from "entry level", to "WTF who can afford that?" The contenders for the tables used are the Traveler, Scout 2, Classic (1-3 not sure), and the Classic Direct in the no limits room. We will also have Nomads scattered throughout the house with various headphones.

Dan C, Scott Hicks, beowulf and 5 others like this.
  15. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Hot women and ice cold beer. :cheers:

16. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

+1 on the Kimber Select...

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Mat- is the room primarily for industry folks (dealers, distributors) or end -customer consumers? If in part the latter, one shortcoming among many dealers (not necessarily VPI dealers, just dealers generally), is the ability to easily set up different combinations of gear to reveal system priorities. For example, a consumer thinks they can get away with entry level table and spend the bulk of money on amp and speakers. Having the ability to demonstrate the difference a higher grade table would make in an otherwise modest system would probably be enlightening. (I'm not going all 'Linn' on you and saying spend the bulk on TT, but you get what I mean).
    The only other thing I can offer is that a lot of the 'statement' rooms I've heard tend to be 'overdone' with treatment and almost feel like caves. This doesn't duplicate most consumer listening environments, even at the high-end.
    Good luck with the project, sounds like fun.

TLMusic and Long Live Analog like this.
  18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Nola and ARC are all American firms and that will sound better than CJ and Vandersteen.

Just sayin...

19. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Right, because what the hi-fi milieu really needs is even more sexism.

Dan Budiac and kfringe like this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

A SET/hi-eff speakers room; Audio Note phono pre>pre>monoblocks>AN-E speakers.

21. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Mat, it is really a GAS that you and VPI care enough to ask about this. Your Dad is a freaking legend, he don't need no stinkin' advice...
    I'll be there, whenever you get this thing up and running.

McLover and Long Live Analog like this.
  22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I've heard many a piece of McIntosh gear play nicely with VPI as well. Mac Phono Stages are particularly excellent in their preamps.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Mat has the VPI Bunnies so the hot women are there.

24. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

For a budget room consider something like this:

Amp = Decware Torii MK IV $3499 (this has volume control and 2 RCA inputs)
    MM Phono Stage = Decware ZP3 $1295
    Speakers = Omega Alnico XRS $2995
    Turntable = VPI Classic 1 $2995
    Cart of Choice = $1000

For around 12K you have an all American, hand made (Decware is even point to point), excellent warranties and outstanding customer service.

Also for the OCD people such as myself :laugh:) the Decware Amp and Phono Stage can come in Walnut bases and would mate up nicely with the VPI Classic in Walnut ~ so not only will it be awesome performing, but aesthetically pleasing as well!

25. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Well, ok then.

I was more thinking how cool it would be to have a US centric audio room. The place of origin was a positive favor for me in selecting my VPI table :)

500Homeruns and LeeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.