The Kinks or The Who, which bands catalog is harder to collect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Kinks or The Who, which bands catalog is harder to collect?

both have numerous alternate versions, mono and stereo mixes, non album b-side, etc. which band do you think?

2. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

The Who. You have to buy about 5 cds to just have all the b sides.

J_D__ and DrBeatle like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed...and I've never seen a band muck about with the mixes from release to release as much as the Who.

johnnybrum and One Louder like this.
  4. Doctor Jimmy

The Who has THE WORST CATALOGUE REISSUE EVER.

johnnybrum and DrBeatle like this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's the Who. The Kinks were more difficult before the deluxes. Luckily you can't really muck up a lot of their original mixes since the tapes aren't there!!! In a weird way, we should be happy the Who (and Small Faces too!) have been futzed with so many times through the years.

apple-richard likes this.
  6. Doctor Jimmy

Even before Deluxe editons, this compilation had all the b sides.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kinks_Are_Well_Respected_Men

7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

They really do...I hate to say it because they're one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, but it's true

Doctor Jimmy likes this.
  8. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The Who on CD has done a better job of staying in print than The Kinks. The recent Deluxe Editions by The Kinks are convenient, but grab them while you can as they probably won't be available for very long.

drivingfrog and DrBeatle like this.
  9. GRC

GRC Senior Member

The Who given the multitude of releases and stuff that's out there and never really knowing what's exactly on them unless there is a good detailed analysis here on the forum or elsewhere. The Kinks are easier -- it was easier to get several mono and b-side sets, and complete single sets (and SACDs) that would be hard to improve upon.

From the perspective of someone who likes live concert recordings, I would love to see some great early/mid 70s concerts released by both bands.

One Louder likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The Who.

At least with the Kinks, one can buy the deluxe CD's for most of their catalog.

DrBeatle likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Agreed, and what about all the demos. Wow, how many discs of those are there now?

12. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Is there any other band whose collectors need a psychic or a Ouija board when trying to buy a copy of an album (A Quick One) that's mostly in true stereo which looks just like the disc that isn't?

fiscus1 likes this.
  13. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Definitely The Who.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

The Who, trust all of us :)

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

the who and the kinks also face the same issue. they released expanded single disc versions of everything which fans snapped up for the bonus tracks and then have released 2 cd deluxe versions which forced fans to buy the stuff again. heck live at leeds and possibly who's next were released as 2 cd deluxe editions and later super deluxe boxsets (if the who ever do a boxset for who's next)

16. Doctor Jimmy

At least the Kinks didn't remixed all of their albums.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  17. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

As far as their mid 60's first issue albums go, whew, I'm going to give a slight edge to the Who. I've been to my fair share of collector shops and record shows from the Orange County L.A. swap meet to the Austin Record Convention and it has been years since I've seen copies of "The Who Sings My Generation." Ditto "Happy Jack", one of the toughest album jackets to find because of the dark border. "Sell Out" and "Magic Bus" are a tad easier, but not by much though!

Kinks? Their early releases with the three color "Riverboat" labels are tough to find anymore, and one that eludes me is their 1973 Reprise lp "The Great Lost Kinks Album."

Two legendary bands IMO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.