Beyond the Butcher Cover: other releases with taped-over or physically altered covers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Big Black ~ Songs About F*****g

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

So what does the back of it look like?

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I have my fathers original mono pressing of Skeeter Davis's LET ME GET CLOSE TO YOU lp (Mono pressing). I can remember that the title on both labels had a sticker over it with the title on the sticker. As a kid I actually peeled the stickers off, but stupidly did so in a way that tore the original label, so I can't tell to this day what the stickers were there for, and I have yet to find another copy of the LP with the "correction" stickers.

Which of course leads me to ask: What were the stickers put there to correct?

4. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

The Beatles' "Real Love" single sleeve from 1996....has a nice color shot of the Fabs from 1965, but all of their cigarettes have been airbrushed out of their hands.....

5. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

The Supremes "At The Copa" and "Sing Rodgers & Hart" LPs have minor alterations to their back covers. Copa has a drawing added to it, I forget what the change was on SR&H.

The Supremes "Reflections" LP had a new back cover pasted over the original but it was just for some minor typing changes.

Jermaine Jackson's "Precious Moments" LP has a sticker pasted over the original track listing.

Mariah Carey's self titled debut fails to list Love Takes Time on the back cover of the first pressings of all formats but was later added back on and the font changed from Gold to White for the cover type.

Forget the name of the band who released a CD on 9/11 that featured a back drop of the NYC skyline with the WTC in flames on the cover but we had to send it back to the label on 9/12.

Richard Carpenter had the cover of the "A Song For You" altered two times while singles were being pulled from it because he felt it looked like a Valentines Day card.

Amy Grant had her first album cover changed for re-pressings as the first cover was in a word, hideous.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  6. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Like your avatar...makes me wanna go swimming......in the nude...heh heh heh

Glenpwood likes this.
  7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wasn't there a 50's R&B group whose cover was altered, because one fellow's thumb was placed in such a way to look as though he had an exposed *****?

Can't remember who it was....

8. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

If it were 1976 Olivia I would.....

It's actually the first LP I picked out for myself as a 3 year old.....

mosogotamravip likes this.
  9. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Yes I love the Come On Over album as well....her version of Long and Winding Road blows me away. As for swimming with 1976 Olivia...absolutely! But I must say, I think I would swim with 2014 Olivia too !!!!!!!!!!! She looks great for a woman of her age ! Bring it on !!! ha ha!

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

My Avatar was actually based on the George Harrison photo, but it works for Olivia too. ;)

11. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Yeah someone should line all 3 up together....I love my dogs and the Beatles....but I'm jumping in the Olivia pool first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I was thinking of another lennon album that had a sticker on it.

13. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Certain EMI albums when imported into the US have had gold Odeon stickers over the offending HMV or Columbia logos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The Coup. But that artwork was replaced entirely and doesn't really qualify for this thread.

jupiter8 likes this.
  15. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

Dream Theater?

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Didn't some of the Scorpions album covers have stickers over certain areas? I think there were also covers with airbrushing done and alternate covers as well.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea, now that you mention it, I do remember one set in a bathroom. Can't remember the title either.

18. Ras

Ras Forum Resident

Virgin Killer, or Loverdrive?

Or both? :)

19. That's the one - the album Live Scenes From New York had the NYC skyline sihlouetted against a field of flames. This image got a big black sticker put over it, as I recall.
    [​IMG]

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have the "censored" cover. Wonder if I can sell it and retire? :laugh: The music on the album is nothing special.

21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member Thread Starter

yeah I was mostly curious about ones which were "fixed" with a pasteover- I can think of tons of covers that were changed for repressing

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think In Trance possibly as well.

23. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction may qualify in a way, as I've seen it with at least three covers. The familiar "skulls" cover, the original limited-run "robot rape" cover, and a third that I can only assume was made for places who felt skittish even about the skulls cover - this one uses the collage photo from the back cover of the CD booklet as the front cover, with a sticker stating the artist/album title applied to the case. Not sure if that one existed on vinyl, but it definitely did on both cassette and CD. (And there's even a fourth if you count the version found at Wal-Mart, which keeps the skull cover but deletes the entire booklet.)

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

late 80s/90s examples:

[​IMG]
    Black Crowes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

OMG - that brought back memories. In Australia, all US Columbia records had any mention of Columbia expunged by the retailers applying black permanent marker to the name, including the label and cover. It looked terrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.