Tube amplifiers: distortion & coloration or transparency & realism?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jul 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on modern valve amplifiers having reliability issues vs. solid state?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I think it comes down to caps and other components getting old and out of spec. Availability of appropriate replacement parts is probably a bigger issue with solid state. If you want to look at reliability, you probably have to take the actual tubes out of the equation and make them a wear and tear, consumable item. Given the simplicity of the designs, and how many old tube amps live on, it is probably a toss up. Class A solid state is going to take it from the heat over time.

3. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Again, all about implementation... there are many examples of reliable and unreliable amps using both tubes and transistors... however tube amps tend to be simpler and as jupiterboy said the tubes are wear items while finding matching transistors might be difficult.

If I were to choose to troubleshoot and repair a tube amp vs SS I will take the tube amp anyday.

kfringe and raferx like this.
  4. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

audio but I see now my post was confusing. I can actually easily tell a tube guitar amp from a ss one. Audio amp it depends on a lot of factors.

5. :agree:

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Just like the tires on your car. The difference being, you should always have spare tubes.;)

jeff

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Even a tube amp that uses circuit board construction?

8. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Yup, they can work fine if designed correctly. They need to be sturdy to handle changing tubes and have some though put into the layout for many reasons but especially wrt heat transfer.

9. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I making sure that you'd rather repair a circuit board tube amp vs a solid state amp. Are you sure?

10. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

no but the risk of damage to your speakers with a low watt tube amp failure is far less than higher watt ss with no dc offset protection.

11. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Depends... if a tube socket is damaged then it may be difficult or impossible to replace.

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

That certainly is the goal of some designers but not all designers. I don't want a straight wire with gain. I want euphonic colorations. I am glad that there are designers that get that and give me what I want. I am glad that we have a choice.

13. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Yup... I was just looking into OPTs for the amp I'm building and the maker of the OPTs was kind of shocked that I am an engineer and I also sometimes make design decisions with my ears rather than with measurements. :)

14. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I want euphony at home, as long as it's subtle, but not at work. :)

Scott Wheeler and googlymoogly like this.
  15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Right on! :thumbsup:

16. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Valves are consumables........
    Digital devices hardly ever fail as do D amps.

17. Scott Wheeler

My ARC tube gear outlasted 3 CD players through the 80s. I've changed tubes twice on the amp and twice on the preamp in 28 years and 22 years.

18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My last tubeset on my amp I got almost 8500 hours out of the 300Bs, I have over 3500 hours on the current set.

raferx and Scott Wheeler like this.
  19. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

PCBs can be fine for tube circuits provided that several considerations are kept in mind. The traces have to be laid out with creepage in mind and the voltages and currents available in a fault situation need to be controlled. The board should also be mounted for access as it will need to be accessed on both sides and should be removable without major butchery.

Ideally a dust resistant conformal coating will be applied which can be cleaned and if needed peeled back and repaired. The service literature must call out the correct coating and solvent to enable repair.

The board material has to be appropriate too.

It's okay to use PCB mounted tube sockets for small signal tubes but a PCB mounted socket is not okay for power tubes. Sooner or later a catastrophic tube fail will also fail the board. If the manufacturer guarantees availability of replacement boards at a reasonable price forever it might be tolerable, but they never do.

All in all tagboard construction makes lifeso much easier, although there is no evil in having some functions modularized by putting them on sub-boards so long as the above is considered.

kfringe and DaveC113 like this.
  20. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Euphony can be pleasant sometimes but any systematic euphony is dysphony somewhere else. If I want artificial euphony I want it done at line level and controllable and quantifiable. That's what Aphex and guys like that do.

kfringe likes this.
  21. kman

kman Forum Resident

What ever you just said, is poetry for the ears

22. Scott Wheeler

IME it is equipment dependent. Some gear offers euphonic colorations with trade offs but I have found components that seem to have all the euphony with no substantial down side. But this is not common.

23. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Buy an Aphex Aural exciter then

24. Scott Wheeler

Why?

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Because being compulsively dominant and commanding people feels natural.

T'mershi Duween and nm_west like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.