Best Affordable Vinyl pressing of Nirvana's "Nevermind"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zx2dave, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Post the matrix info and let us know how it sounds!

2. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

The $16 Sup Pop version that was initially released in November 2011 is purportedly all analog, sounds about as good as Bleach will get, and is a really nice deal.

zx2dave likes this.
  3. zx2dave

zx2dave Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 2011 Sub Pop remaster of Bleach I got sounds excellent and is definitely a bargain at less than $20.

jimhb likes this.
  4. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Success! I got a buddy in the states to order me one and sent to him in Pittsburgh. After a week long stopover in Chicago delaying its arrival over me here in Australia, it arrived yesterday and tonight I gave it a whirl and I gotta agree it sounds superb! Makes the original CD I have sound like a cassette. Thanks Napalmbrain for your help, your store delivered it to Pittsburgh pronto (and well packaged) and now Im one happy camper :)

NapalmBrain likes this.
  5. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

appreciate the support, and thank you for the kind feedback glad you are happy with your purchase

6. WNind

WNind Forum Resident

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread. I'd heard of the ORG pressing from a few years back but the money they're going for over here in the UK is way over my budget, and I didn't know the 2013 Geffen was from the same stamper until I read this thread.

I've just received my 2013 reissue from a Discogs seller, still sealed, for £25 including delivery from the States. I opened the packaging with trepidation, hoping it was the right version. Pressed at Pallas sticker - check. Bernie Grundman's scribble in deadwax - check. All good- phew! Then I put it on and actually laughed out loud when the first drums came through my speakers on Smells Like Team Spirit. This is one special piece of vinyl. Thanks folks, this forum's awesome.

havenz and candyflip69 like this.
  7. danimal59

danimal59 New Member

This is my first post, and this forum is awesome. Thanks to all you, I got my Pallas Nevermind pressing today. I am a Nirvana fanatic, and I found this pressing to be incredible. Thanks to all of you who recommended it, and I have learned a lot from the other postings. I never realized that the pressings made a difference (I am just starting to get into vinyl) and I also made the mistake thinking the new Nirvana Universal releases were the way to go.

Thanks again.

Dan

12" 45rpm and AlienRendel like this.
  8. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Saw the Pallas pressing in my local store, did a quick search and found this thread singing it's praises so now I'm about to spin it for the first time

therebelsell and havenz like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Go for the original if you can find one.

bru87tr likes this.
  10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Bump: So just to be clear, none of the vinyl pressings that are available today (Back to Black etc) are compressed like the recent digital remasters, correct?

11. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Found the 'Pressed in Pallas' version at valley record store for $29 today. Sounds amazing as stated before in this thread. Vinyl is perfect in every way. Very happy.

12. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I have the 2013 Geffen and it sounds amazing.

13. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

Could please someone help me out a bit? I have this transfer of 2013 reissue, and I seem to be hearing something I don't like. I already have an ORG pressing, but I'd like to buy that 2013 reissue for a backup copy. When checking out that transfer I've stumbled upon something I didn't like and I would just like to know if that's in the pressing or just in that particular transfer.
    I hear something weird at some points. Sounds to me like cymbals or hi-hat, and it's like cutting out and in, playing with some delay relative to the drums. I know this is not a part of the mix, this is just weird, so I wonder what that is. I mean, is it something with the pressing, or with maybe with the equipment used to transfer it or what? And more importantly, some people hear it, some don't. So that adds to the confusion. Can it have something to do with the speakers? But I've heard like 4 different copies of ORG (colour, black, RTI, Pallas) transferred by by different people with different equipment and none of them had this. So I don't know if my speakers are to blame, on the other hand, who knows?

* SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT: http://www.filefactory.com/file/3eq34lei54nl/01. SLTS.flac
    or: https://mega.co.nz/#!IcgVAL7A!DZixlU4rxqGl0yvN6uzTUE2fHJ4l43mXGghrUKnKUfU

I can hear it starting from 0:15. It just appears out of nowhere at that point. It is really noticeable. Also it is noticeable during the pre-chorus (“Hello hello hello how low”) starting from 0:52. And during the chorus. But it not present all the time – it kind of cuts in and out. Also during the solo.

* IN BLOOM: http://filefactory.com/file/5nmjxkvohgfl/01._Bloom.flac
    or: https://mega.co.nz/#!lYIBxayL!1Vi_pTyufJsrFwcaZrN_LHp5hRdOC-YGr79V8igfq7I

This is noticeable in the very beginning. Especially when the first riff stops, during the drum fill, when the guitar doesn’t play. And then you can hear it when the second riff is being played from 0:15 too. Also during the verse.

It can be better heard by isolating the right channel (turning down or turning off left channel).

14. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I hear like... nothing wrong with the mix. It sounds pretty much like mine. I did notice it sounds like your cartridge has a lot more high end, and that brings out the cymbals, which may just be making you notice the mix more. It sounded pretty much just like mine after I EQ'd some of the top end off.

15. Ymer

Ymer Forum Resident

Does anyone know if I can still get one of the good copies of Nevermind? Thanks

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I just got a Pallas copy through barnesandnoble.com today. Took about three weeks from order to delivery as they were out of stock when I placed the order. But they have it currently.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wow.

I like the Pallas/ORG pressing so much more than the legendary "320" that I can't believe it. The bass on the "320" sounds artificially bloated. On the Pallas, everything seems more balanced, and the slightly brighter treble makes the album sound much more aggressive.

dobyblue and Ash76 like this.
  18. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Definitely ORG for me.. Not sure how 'affordable' it is though.

What are these '320' pressings people are talking about? Are they original Euro pressings or reissues?

Ben Adams likes this.
  19. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

As repeated many times in this thread, the Bernie Grundman ORG cuts of Nevermind and Unplugged were re-pressed last year by Universal/Geffen and are still in print. Online, you're looking for the 2013 vinyl. In a retail store, you're looking for the vinyl w/ a "PRESSED AT PALLAS" hype sticker.

The 320 pressings were Euro reissues. The 320 In Utero is notable for it accidentally being cut from a tape with all of the original Steve Albini mixes instead of the released album that had the Scott Litt remixes of the singles, but it's considered sonically inferior to the ORG and 20th anniversary (double 45 RPM) versions.

candyflip69 likes this.
  20. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Thanks for taking the time - many opinions over even only 3 pages, sometimes muddies the waters.
    Good to have the definitive statement repeated for late-comers, every now and then.

deniall likes this.
  21. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

I own all the ORG versions and didn't ask about them.

Thanks for the clarification re the 320 versions. Not sure what the attitude's about though. I scanned the thread and saw '320' mentioned several times but was unsure of what it actually was.

22. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

You said you weren't sure if they were affordable. I was explaining that they were. :)

23. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Just my 2 cents, as I had been looking for a good pressing of Nevermind on vinyl and came across this thread. Just picked up the 2013 Geffen LP with the crossed out ORG 032 and with the BG etching in the deadwax. I find that this sounds very digital, the cymbals in particular stand out as horrid to me, like they are digitally compressed (especially from the 0:52 mark). I just checked the flac soundclip from post #63 above and it sounds the same as mine. Just me? I dunno, I haven't heard any other version to compare with so maybe i'm just blind (or should that be deaf) to how much better this version supposedly is :)

24. Plissken99

Plissken99 Forum Resident

So currently on Amazon the current pressing of Nevermind goes for $52.99. POP Market has Nevermind with Bleach for $47 today. Is the current pressing worth it? I like Nirvana, but not enough to shell out more than $35 per album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.