HDTracks News (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I really wish we would get more hirez Knack. I thought Get The Knack sounded fab and I would love to hear the same quality applied to But The Little Girls Understand and Round Trip.

JQ

2. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

Here's Rhino's "Mono Mondays" page on Dusty in Memphis. Oddly, there's no discussion of the mono mix itself. It's on iTunes in Mastered for iTunes format, so I may check that out since I already have the HDTracks version of the stereo mix.

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Sorry, multi-tracks -- that's what I meant to say. And the mono mix could be invaluable as the only other "mix" we'll ever get of this wonderful album. I've never heard it so I'm certainly interested...

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Was The Complete A & B Sides collection that came out a few years back for Dusty comprised of the original mono or stereo single releases? I don't recall. Son Of A Preacher Man and Just A Little Lovin' are both on that one. If they're the mono mixes that might give a preview of what the mono Dusty In Memphis has in store...

5. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

James Brown! 20 All Time Greatest Hits! 24/192!

purchased

Mij Retrac and DR.J like this.
  6. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Crap...Dusty in Memphis - Mono and James Brown? I spend too much there already. How many more copies of the same music do I need? I just bought "I Never Loved a Man...." in mono and it's fantastic. My go to copy for sure. Will Dusty be just as good in mono??? Plus the 10% off is so trivial but the sales always get me to justify buying more.

7. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Let us know how it sounds please. My guess is pretty freakin great!

8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I'll wait for them to sell the Chaka Khan albums individually. I don't want the last two of the set and $100.00 is a bit steep.

9. Pants Party

Samples are up. The sound quality appears to be a lot like the stereo version, which I found a little too bright and possibly even fatiguing on bright systems.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos and Rhapsody by Previn and Ashkenazy!!

11. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

did anyone else have any opinions of the Complete Faces 1969-1973 set???

12. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I don't have any other versions to compare to, but think it sounds nice. Not demo material, but fairly dynamic, and from a good source.

13. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Anyone buy the James Brown yet? I would love to get some input on how it sounds.

14. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I got it last night (192/24) and listened through it once so far. Sounds wonderful - very clear and dynamic. Unfortunately I don't have any other James Brown music to compare - other than knowing a few hits that were on the radio a lot I somehow never got into his music when I was younger (which after listening through this album I realize was a huge mistake).

LEONPROFF likes this.
  15. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I can confirm that Linda Ronstadt the Complete 80's is available in 24/192. Looking forward to Get Closer and Mad Love!

16. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Even though I must have been the first to download it, I haven't been able to listen (my free time at home has been hijacked by that woman)

I'll try to check it out tonight.

LEONPROFF and Mij Retrac like this.
  17. Pants Party

Listening to the Mono of Dusty in Memphis -- wow. Yes. I love it. It just sounds right.

I'm reacting to the mono/mix more than the mastering of course. I've never heard this in mono, but I already like it much more than the stereo. Way more.

The mastering is crisp. It's louder and maybe even more compressed than the stereo... but it could be a mono thing. I like it regardless. So far, the Mono just sound sooo right, to me. It fits this album.

Spencer Marquart and DR.J like this.
  18. At which point, it might make more sense to buy the boxed release (CDs + Blu-Ray, including "rehearsal disc") for only about $10 more from Amazon.fr.

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Like other Universal Classics releases, this is also available on Blu-ray Audio. Almost certainly the same transfer, and the disc might be cheaper (prices drop quickly after the release date)

20. simon-wagstaff

I have just listened to Linda Ronstadt's Get Closer and Mad Love, 24/96. These two are my favorite Linda albums and have listened to them many times over and always hoped to get better copies than the CDs that were released years ago. I am very happy with the sound of these. Supposedly Mad Love was recorded digital multitrack at 44.1 and mixed to two channel analogue? Regardless of the provenance I think the sound is improved over the CDs. I can more clearly hear the layers of vocal harmonies, the sound is more transparent and 3 dimensional, dynamics are enhanced and the image and soundstage is much larger. Sounds like a pretty flat transfer, certainly not bright. sometimes I wonder just how good we expect these things to sound, it's all in the original recording. I haven't listened to the other albums in the Complete 80's yet, but happy with these.

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Managed to get in every "audiophile cliche" in a single sentence!!! Well, almost, definitely need to add something about "slam" in there!

(didn't say any of it 's not true) :righton:

pablorkcz likes this.
  22. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Looks like more money down the HD Tracks hole!!!!!

23. simon-wagstaff

I guess like stereotypes there is some truth to them. These are the characteristics I hear with 24 bit recordings. I didn't notice anything specific about slam or I would have said so. :)

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Just kidding, man. I hooked up my Mac to the USB on my Dac last night (I hadn't had a DAC connect in several months) and listened to a bunch of HDtracks stuff (Madman Across the Water, Welcome to my Nightmare, Gaucho). Nice to remember why I bought the Hi-Res tracks in the first place. I had converted them and only listened via Sonos 44.1 or AppleTv for awhile.

25. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

I have only listened to the samples at iTunes, but I agree about the mix. I've tried listening to the stereo mix (and I have the HDTracks version along with the deluxe version), and the music, as great as it is, never really grabbed me. The mono just has something about it that pulls me right in. I'm still looking for info about the mix itself, whether it's dedicated or a fold down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.