(this is not for me) anyone with mid-fi experience have a recommendation for a 5.1 amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve G, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member Thread Starter

This is for a friend of mine who needs to replace a Denon that is going south. I really don't have any experience with mid-fi integrateds. Would like to help recommend something. She's a movie producer so she needs the cinematic frequencies in the sub, etc., but she also has some multi-channel classical and rock stuff that she likes to listen to. What say ye?

2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Usually "Integrated" is referred to in the Stereo sense (as integrated preamp and amp). Whereas AV Receiver is a home theater preamp/processor and amp combined. This is for an AV Receiver ... not just a 5.1 amplfier or integrated stereo correct?

Budget?

3. Steve G

I've never known exactly what an "AV Receiver" meant so thanks! But yes, a home theater preamp/processor and amp. Not just a 5.1 amp and not just an integrated stereo, although I believe she would be using it as her amp for stereo playback as well. I would guess her budget to be $500-$2000. I have all my 5.1 stuff with separate vintage monoblocks and preamps so I really have no experience with this kind of thing although her life is probably simpler than mine. Thanks a lot for helping with this - it's another world to me.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think your friend needs a "home theater receiver", i.e. not an amp/integrated.

Models range in price from $199-$2000+. Budget, or existing Denon model number that is being replaced would be very helpful.

5. Steve G

I don't think she uses a TT at all so it would likely be one feed from a universal Blu-Ray player into the AV Receiver. No need for a phono stage.

6. Steve G

Is the difference between "receiver" and "integrated amp" that there is an HDMI input that decodes the signal from the Blu-Ray player (i.e., "receives" an encoded signal from the player)? I'm so old school that I always thought of "receiver" as being an FM tuner...

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Onkyo seems to be the answer for so many. Well built, has the feature set and sound quality, and not over priced.

8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The difference is that a AV Receiver (aka Home Theater Receiver) has 5.1 (or more) inputs for both audio and video (i.e. HDMI, RCA, etc.). Whereas a Stereo Integrated has only Audio Inputs. There are also Stereo Receivers and that means it is an Integrated that also includes a AM/FM Tuner.

9. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

AV Receiver = Hookup for 5.1 channels or more surround sound. Connections for both Audio (such as RCA, Optical TOSLink, SPDIF) as well as Video connections (such as Component and HDMI). Includes Amplfication, so an external amp is not needed.

AV Preamp Processor = Hookup for 5.1 channels or more surround sound. Connections for both Audio (such as RCA, Optical TOSLink/SPDIF) as well as Video connections (such as Component and HDMI). Does not include Amplification, so an external amp is needed.

Stereo Receiver = Hookup for 2.1 channels stereo only. Connections such as RCA and newer ones also have Optical TOSLink/SPDIF. No Video connections. Includes an amplifier and tuner.

Stereo Preamp = Connections for 2.1 stereo only. Connectinos such as RCA, sometimes Phono Stage, but more often not and newer ones also have Optical TOSLink/SPDIF. No Video connections. Does not include Amplification, so an external amp is needed (sometimes they have a tuner, but most often not).

Stereo Integrated = Connections for 2.1 stereo only (such as RCA, sometime Phono Stage, but more often not) and newer ones also have Optical TOSLink/SPDIF) and no Video connections. Includes Amplification, so an external amp is not needed (sometimes they have a tuner, but most often not).

* If a Stereo Preamp or Integrated does not include a Phono Stage sometimes it is referred to as a Line Stage Preamp/Inegrated (as it only has Line Level Connections).

Nothing is written in stone, but as a general reference I think this covers the differences.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Shawn and SamS like this.
  10. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Might be worth taking a look at Emotiva - https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/receivers-0. No direct experience with that unit, but a while back, when I was interested home theater, I purchased their entry level processor (UMC-1) and UPA-7 (7-channel amp). Sounded great and was built like a tank. Also, great customer service with a 30-day no questions asked trial period.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

If she likes the Denon, why not recommend another Denon? Personally, I have an old Denon 5.1 receiver, would likely replace it with a Marantz 7.1 AVR like the SR6008 ($1200) because it has a phono stage and provisions for trying out front wide and height channels (as options for surround 'back' channels). I just like the Marantz AVRs ...

Yes, would be good to know what speakers she's driving with it, etc. as well. Many of the less expensive ones are 50W/ch and not rated into 4 ohms. (Well, neither are even the semi-expensive Marantz AVRs) ... but anyway, I would think a better quality AVR would be good, she probably would appreciate good sound!

There's many reviews available for most of these AVRs.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I use a Marantz AVR in my theater and like it just fine. Pretty sure that I have the SR5008 (I don't remember and it is in a cabinet) and I am happy with it but please note that home theater is not my thing so i can only report that it is reliable, sounds fine to me and drives a 5.1 setup more than adequately.

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Edit/PS: the nice thing about modern AVRs is the Room Correction EQ features, which her Denon probably doesn't have. Odyssey is what's used on many, including the Marantz (and possibly the Denon) units. If her speakers are not great, she may want to upgrade those as well. I've been looking at mix 'n' matching ones from Klipsch - they seem not to discount the speakers in their bundles, and I can put together something that better fits my needs choosing from the various ranges. They are efficient speakers so don't need huge grunt amps to drive them.

The Denon here http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVRX4000(DenonNA) ($1300) seems to be the 'equivalent' to the mid-high end of the Marantz AVR line ...

HEY cool! the Denon AVR has 9.2 channel processing/preamp output capability (but not the HDAM modules that the Marantz has). Might be a good tradeoff tho for me. I would think with this, one could drive speakers with the 7 channel built in amp, and add a pair of (whatever: surround back, front wide, or front height) speakers that are driven with an outboard stereo amp .... Hmmmm ....!

14. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I have a NAD T758 and it blows me away.

15. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

Outlaw, available online, has nice A/V stuff. Their 2-channel amp is a Stereophile Class A Rec.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've been happy with Yamaha, they're very 'musical' IMO.

kevintomb likes this.
  17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I also like my Marantz SR something or other.

I'm extremely knowledgeable about this stuff, as you can tell. ;)

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

So, does she want just an amp, or would she need the preamp functions as well (does she currently have an HT processor that she is going to continue to use?)?

As noted above, really lots of good choices in that price range....

Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo all have nice units.

19. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I recommend Marantz; considered are performance and, admittedly, brand loyalty on my part. They do currently enjoy a reputation for excellent reliability. Otherwise, sonic differences are nearly nil among modern AV receivers. DACs are mature tech, and built-in room EQ allows you to tailor your own sonic preference.

Stick with mainstream Japan makes: Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer(?). Their vast resources for R&D and economy of scale combine for AVRs that perform well and have the latest tech features.

Simon A, McLover and kevintomb like this.
  21. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Both Marantz and Emotiva seem to be very hot right now. If she does not need all the latest bells and whistles, consider a used unit.

Remember that almost all units do not have power for the .1 channel, only a line out. Does she already have a powered subwoofer?

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I would recommend Marantz myself as the music lover's home theater receiver. They are reasonably dependable and sound great for movies and music use and rated honestly. Yamaha is also worth your consideration. Onkyo I'd avoid, many owners have had HDMI board issues on their units. Emotiva is worth considering as well as NAD.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Steve G

rhubarb9999 she has pretty nice JBLs with powered stereo subs at the bottom of the mains; McLover and sushimaster, I really like the idea of NAD because I've had very good experiences with that company; I've passed on everyone's advice to her except I really can't recommend Denon because I've had bad experiences with their build quality and I don't think her system should by rights be on the fritz by now either; I still don't understand completely why a stereo amp with an input stage is an integrated but a 5.1 amp with an input stage is a receiver but I'll just live with that one. By the way I have an NAD integrated that's about 1000 years old and I love it. Thanks everyone for your help!!

24. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

If it has an AM/FM tuner, it's a receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.