Matthew Sweet Girlfriend 180g LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grohlfan, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan Thread Starter

I never thought I see this advertised but it's true! Elusive Disc just did. This was his classic and still a pop masterpiece. Did this ever get a vinyl release before when it was released? I only had the cd and I thought that was it. I hope it's done with the proper mastering.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Classic Records released it under the Rock the House label, very nice it is too.

Nothing mentioning any remastering, it sorely needs it, it's incredibly loud.

3. Coming from Plain Recordings = do not bother.

4. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I have this and it sounds awesome. But it also doesn't have a few of the songs that are on the CD. And Nothing Lasts was my favorite off the album. Left off the Classic vinyl.

5. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

but Nothing Lasts is such a downer!

6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Is the new one 2LP?

7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Their recent re-issues of Paul Westerberg's 14 Songs and Eventually are outstanding.

8. I stand corrected - I wasn't aware of anything on 4 MenWithBeards or Plain that was properly done (sourced from anything other than 16 bit/44khz files).

9. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I named my student film after it, properly depressing

10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The college station I worked had a vinyl version of Girlfriend (and the Deformed EP, but I believe only a CD of Goodfriend) in 1991-2. I've no idea if these were promo only...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Bods1968 likes this.
  11. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I have everything he has released and a lot he hasn't.

Girlfriend, Altered Beast, 100% Fun and Blue Sky Over Mars all came out on LP Record
    Only In Reverse* hasn't to my knowledge. All the post In Reverse albums came out on LP Record

*Now that's a wonderful album desperately in need of the Steve Hoffman touch.
    I think it's a bit of a masterpiece.

wwright and Grohlfan like this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

So Plain is a no go? So what will the Classic cost these days?

13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Yes. Inexcusable to have done so. Looks like they're doing it again with this release.

funknik likes this.
  14. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Kimi? Living Things? I don't think so.

15. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

It had been going for $200+. This reissue may cool the market, though.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  16. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Oh, I'm a little torn on this one.

While Girlfriend is my #1 wish for a vinyl reissue, I just don't think I'm going to be satisfied with this one. That's not to say this reissue on Plain won't be acceptable -- if it's as good as people say the Westerberg reissues are, I'm sure it will be ok (I have Plain's Lemonheads LP and that's passable, too), but I just don't think it's going to be definitive.

First off, they're doing the same, truncated 12-track running order as the first issue vinyl -- I will miss those last 3 songs -- plus, that's still around 26 mins a side or something. That length side is not necessarily an issue with an expert mastering engineer doing the cut (like Bernie Grundman's cut of Beck's Morning Phase), but that may not be the case for whomever Plain gets to cut it.

It will almost certainly be sourced from digital - hopefully hi-res, but I wouldn't count on it - if it's from a CD, hopefully it's not the Legacy Edition from a few years back. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they somehow ended up with the metal parts from the first RTI run? I'd buy that for $20.

Bottom Line: this LP might be ok, but somebody definitely could (and probably will) make it better at some point in the future - I'm willing to wait and find out -- for now. This LP seems like a no-brainer for someone like ORG to pick up and repress on two 45 RPM LPs (please, please, please!).

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

this was one of my favorite albums from that era, so i am going to pick it up.

18. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The push-back on loudness has had an impact.
    Now we need a campaign for new vinyl releases to be labeled with the mastering chain!

funknik likes this.
  19. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Has anyone actually seen this? Street date is listed as 10.21, but Bull Moose has none in stock yet . . . delay?

20. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Me too. I've been satisfied with Plain stuff recently and love this record.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I remember when I came across a stack of a dozen or so of the Classic issue version of this at the Tower Outlet store in Sherman Oaks in the late '90s...They were $1.99 each. I thought hard about not getting one at all, but finally decided that the completist in me couldn't let that happen, considering it was a favorite of mine. So I got it. Not sure where it is, and I don't think I ever even opened it...

Sure wish I'd bought the other 11 at that time :)

wwright and neilpatto like this.
  22. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

from the elusive disc site..... "Coming November 18, 2014 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!"

funknik likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nice new back cover--although I'm surprised that they replaced the original artwork.

Mastered by Bob Ludwig, who seems to do a lot of Sony related projects.

25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I sure hope it destroys the value of the Classic Records original so I can finally purchase a back up copy. I doubt it though and think your wishful thinking is like mine. And no I wasn't worried about selling my copy. The difference between the Classic LP and the CD is monumental and I love this record. Some recordings like say Morrissey's you are not going to hear a big difference between the vinyl and the CD. Not the case here if sourced from the CD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    wavethatflag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.