Jazz Beat (Part 27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Which in turn leads to:

[​IMG]

Joe071, Cactus Bob and JETman like this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

Pulled this out for another thread and it somehow refused to be placed back on the shelf without a listen:

[​IMG]

3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

It's an old record on Sackville. I haven't seen it in CD but I'll be looking for it now.

4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

with Harold Vick and Woody Shaw

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A couple new reissues arrived in the mail today! This 1956 session comes from the period when George Wallington was musical director at the Cafe Bohemia in Greenwich Village, where the present quintet introduced then-young lions Donald Byrd and Phil Woods to jazz’s major leagues. Mastered by Kevin Grey, this mono SACD sounds beautiful.
    • George Wallington - piano
    • Donald Byrd - trumpet
    • Phil Woods - alto saxophone
    • Teddy Kotick - bass
    • Arthur Taylor - drums
    Recorded January 20, 1956

[Prestige/Analogue Productions 2014 SACD]

6. AxiomAcoustics

Ahh, you've got the original Sackville, cool. Yes it was reissued by Tizona and it's been on my wish list, your post made me move on it but, not sure about the label. Here's the editorial copy:

Originally released on Sackville recordings in 1974 as The Roscoe Mitchell Solo Saxophone Concerts, this historical reissue has been remastered and contains the same material as the original, which is primarily solo concerts from Montreal, Michigan and Pori, Finland recorded in 1973-1974. Roscoe Mitchell plays soprano, alto, tenor and bass saxophones. It captures Roscoe Mitchell in a very important period in his development as a musician as he started exploring his own solo voice again after a very productive period with the Art Ensemble of Chicago. It beautifully displays his virtuosity and range on the different horns in the saxophone family, and many of the melodies he explores in these recordings were expanded on in his later works. It is truly a peek into how some of his elaborate compositions may have begun.

7. AxiomAcoustics

Is this on there?;)

8. AxiomAcoustics

9. pig bodine

I think it's a combination of the dog, the brass, and the shed with the circular hose that makes the composition of the Mitchell cover so appealing, but it also reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

Which I haven't listened to in a long time, and am enjoying now.

10. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I love 'Back at the Chicken Shack.' Jimmy Smith is just incredible on the organ, and that's my favorite album of his.

JRM likes this.
  11. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

if you're interested in more Roscoe Mitchell, check out Nessa Records:
    http://www.nessarecords.com/

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I usually find his music for cheap because no one knows who he is. The thing that kicks the price up sometimes is when it is an import. Even then his records can be had relatively cheaply. I think all of my records are either from Europe or South America.

action pact likes this.
  13. AxiomAcoustics

Oooooohhhhh dat's nice:

[​IMG]

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Jerry Gonzalez & Fort Apache Band "Rumba Para Monk" (Sunnyside) 1988 - beneath his 70`s recordings with Woody Shaw (like the one forementioned by AxiomAcoustics) this being the finest hour of Carter Jefferson...subject CD from 1988 is a tremendous tribute from Jerry Gonzalez to Thelonious Monk and the Rhythm Section consisting of Larry Willis (piano), Andy Gonzalez (bass) and Steve Berrios (drums) is really burning.....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Philips P 48071 L) - one of my favourite Rhythm Sections really shines on a definitely inspired Johnny Griffin recording date......

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

We have a sizable Brazilian community in this area. Unfortunately I am not finding an abundance of Brazilian or bossa nova records out in the wild!

17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Listened to this really nice (some might say 'stellar') tribute to Elveen in the car this morning:

[​IMG]

18. AxiomAcoustics

Sir? Dr. Blount will see you now.

[​IMG]

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

It's an excellent DVD, well worth it.

JRM likes this.
  20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

PHILLYQ and DrJ like this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Sherman Irby, BLACK WARRIOR (Black Warrior Records - Irby's own label, formed after he left Blue Note - released in 2006). I've been a big fan of Irby's fiery alto saxophone work since his days with Roy Hargrove, and this CD did not disappoint. The sonics on this studio recording are strictly no frills, not superb; most everything is registered reasonably well, but there's some graininess and the fine pianist Eric Reed is a little too far down in the mix, requiring a bit of a volume pump during his solos to fully hear what's going on. Minor stuff like that aside, it's well worth having, the music is consistently interesting. Gerald Cannon on bass and Willie Jones III round out a strong quartet.

22. pig bodine

23. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Agreed on all counts. Besides, all those players are the bomb. Didya know that Willie Jones III was the drummer in Black/Note (mentioned several Jazz Beats back)?

fingerpoppin, AxiomAcoustics and DrJ like this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I see planets, doc...with rings around them...

AxiomAcoustics and JETman like this.
  25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Don't look up! :)

DrJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.