some wise words from Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I don't know how they could fake it since it's a live show, but anything's possible in this day and age. I think they just get better singers than Idol because they don't have an upper age limit and are less concerned about them (supposedly) being amateurs.

As far as good singers who get forgotten...yep. Thems are the breaks. Hard to make it in this business. Even with a good voice and exposure on national television.

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

As much as the stuff you fell in love with as a kid?

3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know it's that if I don't feel the spark with new music (regardless of the age of the artist)---sometimes I do. It just doesn't ignite that fire that's going to burn for 30-40 years.

The last album I can remember just absolutely falling in love with was The Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots". And that was what? 11-12 years ago now? But even as much as I love that album, I STILL lack that deep down connection to it that I have to stuff from when I was much younger because I don't have the cultural/life connection to it.

You know how music is----I put on something like "Candy O" or "Songs From The Big Chair" or "Madman Across The Water" or any one of the many really seminal albums of my life and I'm immediately transported back in time to my emotional feelings from way back then. It's not that I'm necessarily reminiscing about things I did back then, but I'm connecting with those same emotions. For an album like "Yoshimi"....well...I wasn't really doing anything or going through anything particularly significant in 2002. What? Oh, whenever I hear that album it reminds me of how excited the wife and I were when we decided to put in new flooring in the kitchen?

Not quite the same thing, ya know...

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Because you're going through less life changes than you did when you were younger. And when you hit age 25, your tastes have solidified and music doesn't resonate with you as much as the stuff you heard before you "matured". This is all scientific.

Chris DeVoe and videoman like this.
  5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Yep great record. Loved it all the way through. My only complaint was that he didn't include the two tracks he ended up including on the deluxe edition on the original issue.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

No reason to not believe you. But if 20 years from now you still find that album tugs on your heart strings the way Damn The Torpeados does...

....well I don't have much in the way of newer stuff that connects to me the same way. But hey...we all get different things out of music we listen to, don't we?

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well, at least you're not telling me that you can only love the album when you're listening to the German pressed vinyl that has certain letters stamped on the inner groove....

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I had a music resurgence in the early 00's after a big drought in the late 1990's - it was actually a major resurgence to the point that I actually get a little nostalgic about some of those early to mid 00's albums now.

It helped that I made some life changes around the same time - lifestyle and job relocation for example, so that music is cemented into that period of my life now. I also think that some of the albums of ~2011 (when I got back into vinyl heavily) will also end up sticking with that change, eventually - I already feel that a bit in the here and now but only time will tell.

Should be interesting what future albums I'll end up associating with...hospital trips or new medications I'm taking? I'm not sure I want to think about that! :)

videoman likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Petty has a soapbox big enough to name check a couple new acts every year that may be overlooked by music press. Sorta like Elton John, David Byrne and several others.

Instead he goes on a rant that was last relevant a dozen years ago.

videoman likes this.
  10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I found it totally relevant.

Carserguev and Shak Cohen like this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

310 posts later on a teeny weeny quote, still relevant indeed! After all, it's still happening.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I don't see where he asked a question.
    I'm starting to think that the folks here that are upset with what Tom Petty said don't play an instrument. I don't see how anyone who has taken the time to learn to play a musical instrument and has found the joy of actually playing music would have a problem at all with his interview. You seem to think he's out of touch with modern music, I disagree with that 100%. All the TV shows there ever was can replace sitting down and learning how to play an instrument. Usually in order to write songs you need to be a musician, if you would check yourself for a minute or two, I think you may see what he's talking about.

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

First of all, I'm a musician and have played professionally at one level or another since I was 15, so I understand that part of it.

The problem is that playing an instrument is irrelevant. I've said Apples and Oranges many times here. I even mentioned how singers were at one time not even allowed into the Musicians Union. These shows are about SINGERS. Not about musicians who play instruments. When was it ever written the singers must play instruments or write songs? When has that ever been the standard? There have ALWAYS been singers who do nothing but sing. What's wrong with that?

zen likes this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

So back with the actual Petty quote who didn't say anything about strictly singers. Are there no game shows where people play instruments? This is a serious question. I don't know. I don't think Petty is strictly saying 'singers' in his quote.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not a Kid Rock fan, but I REALLY doubt he played to 800 people in a 10,000 seat arena. Shows that sell that poorly get moved to smaller venues or canceled outright...

16. Oatsdad

IMO, it's a ridiculous point because it implies that being on "game shows" is the ONLY way to be successful, whereas that's not even vaguely true.

I enjoy TP's music but he sure comes across as a jerk in some of these interviews during which he so easily dismisses others who don't live up to his personal interpretation of what music should be...

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Are you still on about this? Really,
    You mean like all my Forum members do to each other, all day, every day?

Get over it, pal.

18. Oatsdad

So because the music you like isn't as popular today, you want to puke? That's a wee bit extreme.

Did your parents vomit when rock took over from big band music? "Frickin' Elvis and Chuck Berry trending away from my Big Band lifestyle - makes me sick!"

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There was something in his quote about "they aren't musicians".

IIRC there was a band game show once, but it didn't take off.

20. Oatsdad

Wait - so you're saying you think it's cool that people dismiss each other because they like different music? :confused:

(Not sure why you're picking on me anyway since I've not posted a ton in this thread... :shrug:)

21. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It's not just you. A little :confused: over here as well. Perhaps our host can further explain, please? Cheers.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I don't think it's cool at all, in fact, it sucks. I was just making a point. Tom was just doing what most of you do here every day. No matter what we do we can't stop people here from doing it so we at least get them to tone it down a bit as opposed to other forums.

Not sure why what Tom Petty says has a few of our members (not you) in such an extra special tizzy or so defensive. Puzzling. One guy has written more on this thread in one day than he has on the forum in 5 years. Old Tom must be pushing buttons.

But this Forum is pretty rock oriented. I would expect the music that most love here to be defended vigorously. Point is, what does it matter? No one ever changes their mind about anything anyway.

Tom Petty is a neat guy. He doesn't want the values of his generation to go away without a fight. I feel his pain, but nothing written here will make one cent of difference.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Well, I think that's always been the case for most matters here. It's a discussion board. We discuss and debate. Nothing discussed here is going to change the industry. It's just fun to do regarding our hobby/lifestyle.

ABull, Thurenity and videoman like this.
  24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Well, it seems ol' Tom just caught me on a day when I had a bit more extra time than usual. Lucky for you guys! :)
    Seems to me Tom is the one whose buttons were pushed first. But hey, he's a neat guy just defending his values. If I challenge his opinion and state mine, I'm in a tizzy and defensive. That's all cool. Whatever.

But you're right. Nothing written will make one cent of difference. By him or me or you or anyone else. I just hope to make some people be a bit more open-minded about how they feel about music and other musicians. A futile effort I know. But beyond that it's all just good fun and food for thought at the very least.

Peace.

Thurenity and Marko L. like this.
  25. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Nice - you guys really like this stuff. Zokay by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.