David Bowie's 'Heathen' album/CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a reason why this album/CD didn't get played back in '02/'03 when it came out? I'm not the biggest Bowie fan, although I love the Tin Machine albums, and picked the 'Heathen' album/CD up at a thrift store for 50 cents. Looked like it was never played and still has the hype sticker attached to the front of the CD case. Played it today and was absolutely blown away by how good this album/CD is. Don't remember hearing a peep about this on ANY radio station when it came out. Anyone else think that radio just "missed the boat" on this album/CD??

2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

doesn't your question have more to do with radio programming (subject of another thread) than with Heathen, specifically? Which releases from 2002 did get airplay on the kinds of stations that would play David Bowie?

3. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both radio programming and did anyone else think it was a really good record. Radio programming has been pretty abysmal for a long time here in NY. But with the satellite radio added to the mix in the last 10 years or so you figured someone would have played it...and I don't remember that happening with that record/CD.

4. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I thought it was an excellent album, and had the sense that it was well reviewed, but am not sure what became of it on radio. I doubt it took any spins away from "Rebel Rebel"... here in the city he did 5 shows, 1 in each borough, then did a pretty big tour--maybe that news overshadowed the album itself?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I like Heathen...it's underrated although it seems to be getting props now. Can Reality be far behind?

D.D.

vonwegen and wavethatflag like this.
  6. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

that one I didn't get into, though I believe it has its fans here.

sound chaser likes this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident

I do remember the single edit of "Slow Burn" got a fair amount of rotation in 2002 up here in Canuck-land. It's one of my favourite Bowie albums; a little on the lengthy side but rewards repeat listens.

Reality is where all the huge jams live!

cc-- likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I think Heathen is a very solid album as all of Bowie;s releases have been since Outside. For 50 cents you got yourself some great music. If you don't have Outside, Reality, Hours or Earthling then you should also pick them up for cheap!

Former Scientist and JimC like this.
  9. Diamond Dog

Reality's appeal to me was it was Bowie lightening up a bit- that's not something that happened too often in his catalogue so it really stood out. Heathen sounded pretty dark in comparison, and it was no Outside....

D.D.

cc-- likes this.
  10. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Never expected Bowie to cover the Legendary Stardust Cowboy, which still makes me smile.

11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Not the original vinyl!

12. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

That is true althought MOV releases of some of these can be had for decent prices.

13. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Bowie's best since Scary Monsters.

Brilliant tunes, superb playing.

Both the CD and the MOV LP sound great. I have them both and play them often.

MadamAdam, Buda and nsmith1002 like this.
  14. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

How does the SACD of "Heathen" sound?

Diamond Dog likes this.
  15. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

To my humble ears, it sounds great. But beware... it will be hideously expensive and rare. I got a copy for quite a steep but still affordable price after a long search 4 years ago, and I think that now it might have skyrocketed.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Big fan of Heathen - and I'll give it a spin today!

17. Diamond Dog

Luca's correct on all counts. It sounds quite good, it's now quite rare and it has gotten quite expensive.

D.D.

18. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I think Heathen is Bowie's best album since Let's Dance. It shows an artist who's still hungry, forward thinking and relevant, while embracing his legacy. Slip Away is a classic.

Starwanderer likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

For what it's worth, coverage of the album was massive in the UK. Plenty of airplay and multiple national TV appearances and performances. Almost the entire album was played live over various UK TV show appearances, like The Jonathan Ross Show, Top of the Pops, Later With Jools Holland.

There was also an awesome live special tie-in on BBC Radio, recorded at BBC Maida Vale Studios, featuring tracks from Heathen and other albums, including the first ever live performance of Hunky Dory's Bewlay Brothers, which was truly awe-inspiring at the time.

So, Heathen got rave reviews, a lot of attention, and heavy, heavy coverage here..

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I haven't paid attention to radio since 1987....

Heathen got much airplay among my friends and family...

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wait a second. Wasn't that "Black Tie White Noise""? Or "Outside"? Or "Earthling"? Or... ;)

Jet Age Eric and majorlance like this.
  22. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It was highly regarded at the time, at least in the UK.

BlueSpeedway and Jet Age Eric like this.
  23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I don't know if it got any airplay, but I remember there was quite a buzz for it, and even more than usual.
    In Denmark, it shot straight to no. 1 on the charts. In my humble opinion, the album ranks among his better works and certainly in the top 3 of his later albums.
    My only complain about it, is that he should have scrapped one of the cover versions and replaced it with one of the great b-sides, Wood Jackson or When The Boys Come Marching Home.
    Both are extremely great tracks, but on the other hand I think Bowie sacked these two songs because they are quite similar to songs like I Would Be Your Slave and 5.15 (The Angels Have Gone).

Buda and BlueSpeedway like this.
  24. It definitely sounds better than the CD. I wouldn't rank it as a top SACD or anything, however. I would probably feel uncomfortable recommending it at current market prices, which are steep.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I agree, it got lots of publicity when it was released. The reason the OP has a pristine copy is that the original owner bought it, ripped it, and put it on the shelf. And there are plenty of 50c albums released in the last 10 years.

The OP should try their hand at obtaining Bowie's RCA discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.