Miles Davis- Bitches Brew- Heard it for the 1st time today....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

same here. much preferred the more conventional jazz of the 2nd Great Quintet. then one day the skies opened and I realized how brilliant a record Bitches Brew really is. (for what it's worth, I still think his work with that quintet is the best work Miles Davis ever did)

would love some other people to share their opinions on the best digital versions of BB.

2. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Bitches Brew is awesome, plane and simple. I also don't think its as challenging as lots of other people claim, buts thats just an opinion, grain of salt etc.

Another +1 for In a Silent Way, Filles De Killamanjaro and Live Evil. All awesome. Miles is awesome. Thats it.

Also recommend the mofi of Bitches Brew - the vinyl is superb, figure their SACD will be similarly good for digital.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I recently played the original mix for the first time in years - don't know why I neglected it for so long. I think it blows away the remix.

The original CD isn't that great - this is one you need on original vinyl, despite the long album sides.

fishcane and howlinrock like this.
  4. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I'm not quite understanding the question you are asking, honestly... I don't think I have any post that says Miles doesn't have importance, greatness, or impact. I don't know why I would suggest it. I certainly don't think the post you are referencing made that implication, because as I said, I was following the parameters of that thread. I feel a little guilty now for breaking the parameters of this thread, so I'll try to clarify where I'm coming from in one shot.

Please understand: it was a rock thread. It wasn't about jazz. or "music". It was about rock groups. It would have been silly (I thought) to nominate a jazz artist when the OP was looking for rock groups to rival the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. He had provided a poll, which I took to be an outline of his thinking, and he was clearly thinking about rock/pop. I explained my rationale behind my pick, and feel no shame about it. It is still my pick, following the logic I outlined in my last post. Obviously the Velvet Underground is not everybody's cup of tea. But to deny their influence on rock music seems to overlook the evidence. Other people voted for the Beach Boys, but they don't move me.

I think if I thought rock music was the be all and end all, I don't think I would love Miles Davis. I certainly never claimed as much, and have recommended records from all over the world in some of my posts.

I hope you are not suggesting a person who loves Miles, and loves jazz, must "outgrow" the Velvet Underground? Sorry, that's never gonna happen. I did outgrow plenty of other dumb rock groups though, so I don't feel concerned that my growth is stunted or anything.

Here's one thing, if you are trying to find the common thread. I love recorded music and I am particularly interested in challenging, beautiful, edgy, interesting, mind-blowing sonics. I don't mean in the audiophile sense, but in the sense of pure sound, dig, whether it be Miles setting the groove or John Cale playing an over-modulated organ. It's sound, baby that I love. Musical sound, melodic or violent. As long as it's good, of course...

As an added bonus, the Velvet Underground provided some literary thrills too, and I am a guy who enjoys that.

The only other guy I would pick would be Bob Dylan, and I probably would have put him before the VU, except the thread was asking for "bands". So, I obliged.

If the thread were about music of any genre of the 20th-21st century, Miles would probably beat the Velvets and fight it out with Dylan. But that's limiting it to Americans. If it were world, Fela would have to get consideration, too. A case could be made for George Gershwin, although I probably wouldn't be the one to make it. And others.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Brudy, gd0, JimC and 2 others like this.
  5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Utter nonsense !

7. motionoftheocean

one I'm personally curious about is the HDtracks release which I'm pretty certain is the original mix. anybody own this one?

karmaman and JimC like this.
  8. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

funknik likes this.
  9. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Seederman - I LOVE YOUR POST. Seriously. You have great taste in excellent music and I will be watching out for your recommendations in the future. To the OP sorry to go off topic.

WorldB3 and This Heat like this.
  10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Is it the original mix?

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes. it is the original mix and the best way to hear it in digital IMO.

This Heat likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

wow, it's that good? I've been enjoying the one that was sold with complete columbia box from a few years back but would certainly like something better if it's available and utilizes the original mix.

13. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Check out "Filles d Kilmanjarro" and "In a Silent Way". "Bitches Brew" got me into Davis but I may like these two better than "Brew".

funknik, LavidDange and alamo54us like this.
  14. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I remember the first time I heard "Bitches Brew" I was completely mesmerized and couldn't turn it off...grabbed in and blown away.
    It surprisingly didn't take multiple listens for me to appreciate it...and I didn't know anything about the album or Miles Davis - I was intrigued by the gatefold artwork!

Discovering (new to you) music is very exciting. Enjoy!

LavidDange and mikeburns like this.
  15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i would expect the same source master as Mark Wilder seems to be "in charge" of Miles on Sony/Columbia, but in higher resolution. same would apply to the recent mono Kind Of Blue... mono master appears to be the same for both CD and HD.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I was fascinated with "Bitches Brew" for a while but realised later that it bored the hell out of me.
    I much prefer "In A Silent Way", "Jack Johnson", "On The Corner" and "Get Up With It".
    I dig into "Agharta"/"Pangaea" and "Dark Magus" occasionally but tend to get bored also.

17. A long time ago, I vowed to purchase The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions box set, but all this time I haven't gotten through it or the album itself. Maybe I should give it another listen. Haven't attempted to listen to Bitches Brew in almost eight years. On The Corner and In A Silent Way are still my cornerstones when I reach for some electric Miles.

badsneakers and This Heat like this.
  18. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I find myself listening to the Complete Sessions for On The Corner lately. Much was issued on later albums but it's great to hear all the different takes.

subtr and badsneakers like this.
  19. Now that is one set I need to check out. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Speaking that I'm a funk and soul head, it must be right up my alley. Plus, On The Corner is just part of my DNA.

This Heat likes this.
  20. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

It's essential if you love the original album.

21. motionoftheocean

very cool indeed. can anyone confirm this info?

22. It's out-of-print now. EBay and Amazon has it for some crazy prices. Need to save up. *puts on wishlist*

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's time to try live "Bitches Brew" music, IMO. Why not get this one:

[​IMG]

fishcane, funknik and ArpMoog like this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

^Or this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitches_Brew_Live

The Isle Of Wight Set kicks ass!

As a long-time fan and experienced listener of Miles 70's music I'm still not totally convinced about some of the stuff he did post-On The Corner, like some of the "new" material on the Corner box. The miss ratio became higher than before cause he tried so many new things. And sure, he was out of control on coke a lot of the time. Which is true for much great music of the era (CSNY!), so it's not really a valid argument.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I think Miles lead from the jazz front and others followed.

dino77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.