EBay USA "Global Mail" does this exist? I've never had this option!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

This is a question for anyone who sells internationally on eBay from USA. I have just been having a conversation with an eBay buyer who claims that he has just bought an item from eBay USA where he doesn't pay the seller for shipping but eBay invoice him separately under a supposed "Global Mail" option. So the seller doesn't even get involved in the shipping costs himself. The buyer pays eBay. I have NEVER heard of this, and we don't have it in Australia. Is he correct or do you think he bought from Amazon who have a similar named program? This is what he tells me, and the answers I gave to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Mark,

The USA seller does not charge for Postage but ebay has own Global Post System which charges for it. It's a completely different system from Australia.

John.

Hi John,

Are you sure you don't mean Amazon? They have a Amazon Global program. All eBay sellers actually have to pay to post the item themselves, even if it says FREE. I have never heard of eBay paying it for you. For some items on eBay you can ask it to calculate the postage on weight. I do that for international listings as I can't afford to eat the mega expensive Australia Post overseas shipping. That can easily be $80-$120 for a 3kg box. As long as you are happy with your items at the price you want it's all good anyway!

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark,

I still paid for the postage but not to the seller. I had to be invoiced separately by EBay's Global Mail. The seller does not know what I paid for postage. You're right about the most important thing is my enjoyment, just thought you'd be interested in the way USA Ebay is doing global postage. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do it in Australia.

John.

Hi John,

I can definitely tell you that eBay Australia doesn't offer a system where they handle the postage for sellers. I've been selling here since 2005 and this is certainly not available in Australia. In fact, they actually now add 10% commission onto the shipping which I have to pay. I only get three shipping options, either offer a 'flat rate' where I say shipping is say $10 ( even if it costs me more), I can offer 'calculated' shipping where I put the weight in and eBay calculates the actual Australia Post cost, but you still pay it to me, or I can offer 'free' shipping which is not free to anybody, I just have to pay the actual shipping myself out of the total item cost.

If I had an option where I could wash my hands of the shipping and the buyer pays eBay direct I would have often taken that option. So maybe eBay USA (who are actually somewhat different to eBay AU) might have an option like that. But friends in USA tell me they have to charge it themselves. I'll ask again on the music forums just in case it's new in USA, but as yet there is nothing like this here in Australia!

Enjoy your music :)

Mark.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

It does exist, but I've never used it. I sell less and less to buyers outside of the US. Prices have just gotten so high, methinks.

imarcq likes this.
  3. imarcq

OK thanks. That's a start. Perhaps it's quite expensive and nobody uses it? I'd be interested to learn more, although I can't see it being available in Australia anytime soon. The eBay questioner said that the postage he was charged for his item worked out cheaper via this Global Mail scheme than it costs him to buy the same from Australia.

4. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

I sell from the US and use it; it's eBay's Global Shipping Program. I pay to ship to a central eBay location and am reimbursed for US shipping / Media Mail costs; the buyer is invoiced by eBay for the international costs. It does appear to be quite expensive to some locations, and I have certainly had at least some buyers who balked at eBay's shipping rates (which often include customs documentation / import fees), but, in the long run, it saves me money for shipping to places where cost is exorbitant. In the months I've been using it, I find that I get fewer international buyers for inexpensive records, but that it generally doesn't deter folks buying expensive items. It's definitely cheaper for sellers, but I've yet to hear a buyer say it was cheaper for buyers.

imarcq likes this.
  5. imarcq

That's great. Thanks for your answer. I really can't imagine that eBay would be worse off by offering this service. They are a clever company and probably rack the cost up to buyers so as to make a profit on the shipping. Maybe this eBay buyer is going to get a nasty shock! The whole conversation came about because he said he could get his item from the US at a much cheaper postage rate via this global mail program. He said he would save $20. I'm wondering whether he might get a nasty surprise when the invoice arrives?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

Glad to be of help!

One of the problems I have with the program is that it doesn't always seem like my buyers know what they're going to be paying for shipping (plus "import charges") and I suspect that different countries' versions eBay (especially non-English ones reading US listings in translation) may be displaying these costs in a less-than-transparent manner. I've had several buyers who made purchases and then asked to cancel transactions because of the postage and import charges; I also had one gentleman who described the costs as "a nonsens and a ripoff" [sic]. So, yeah, your friend might be surprised at the final total.

7. imarcq

Thanks also. I've learnt something I never knew. Perhaps because eBay Australia don't offer this service it's never been on my radar. But I've never actually bought from a USA eBayer and been given this option to be invoiced separately. Maybe it's quite new and I've never yet been offered it?

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

It's fairly new. Like a year old I think. I think the only international seller I sold to was in Norway, and that country wasn't serviced by the program.

imarcq likes this.
  9. imarcq

I think he might well be. He had the option of buying some Sundazed Dylan's from me but went for the Global Shipping alternative from another seller. It was all amicable and I've learnt something new. But he will probably wish he bought them from me for an extra $20 rather than getting a magical mystery bill from eBay! Plus he would have had his records on Monday. Another buyer bought them from me anyway, so I'm not out of pocket - but let's hope he isn't!

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

eBay's Global Shipping Program is expensive, but it does not save money for the seller. It's the same for the seller provided they don't normally charge a markup for shipping and pocket the profit on shipping.

Here is what it does, it saves the seller from the risk of an item not received, or damaged in shipping. All the seller has to do is ship the item to the Global Shipping center, and they handle it from there, Insurance, tracking, customs fees billed, etc. The seller is no longer responsible for lost or damaged items. It's an international scammer's worst nightmare.

I still don't know how they deal with items not as described? If it needs to be returned, buyer sends to to the shipping center, and they check it out. I guess seller could get charge-backs on items returned regardless.

imarcq likes this.
  11. imarcq

Thanks. They don't have this here in Australia. It's probably because our domestic post is comparatively expensive so eBay would lose out reimbursing the seller and paying ongoing international rates here which are horrendous. If we had something like media mail here it would probably work too.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've bought items from US sellers using the GSP option but I've only ever received one invoice to pay after the auction ends. The auctions always show the price, postage charge as well as the duty/taxes due (based on the current auction price). I then get one invoice that covers all the costs and not one from the seller and another from ebay for the extra costs. I suppose you could say there are two invoices but to make it easier ebay combines them into one for buyers for clarity and ease but definitely not two separate invoices.

I'm surprised that some buyers are shocked at the extra costs because they are plain to see at least for me here in Canada.

I'm the opposite...the GSP stops me from buying expensive items since they attract taxes/duty charges as well as brokerage fees. Hence I only buy from sellers that use the GSP if I can get the item for less than $20 which is the cutoff for taxes and duty. If I see a record I want and the seller is using the GSP I drop out of the race as soon as it hits the limit.

If a record sells for $19 I pay, that plus $12-15 shipping. If it sells for $20 I pay that, plus $12-15 for shipping, plus an additional $8. On a record that sells for $250 it would add over $50USD to the final price and that's not including any shipping.

Eddie

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, exactly, buyer gets to know exactly the shipping cost. But they still go into "sticker shock" when they realize the cost. Ebay must think that most all international buyers are loaded rich! It's simply too much except for the lucky few who are rich. I asked for the high priced $45 price to ship a $40 item to Japan (on Amazon), and someone actually paid it. It was the expedited shipping price which means I must ship out same day, but does not mean Priority Mail.

eddiel likes this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd really like to see some sort of numbers showing international sales pre and post the introduction of the GSP. One reason ebay gave for starting it was to encourage US sellers to sell internationally and make it easier for them. If it's working there should be an increase in US sellers offering international shipping and an increase in sales for those sellers. The cost is certainly prohibitive so I find it hard to believe that it's a success in terms of increasing sales from sellers offering it.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It does help when it is a heavy item and seller does not want to deal with an over $100 shipping fee. If an item is very heavy, lets say a box set with 20 LPs in it and a big hard bound book. Sells for $75. Shipping with insurance and tracking is $149.50. Yes, that is an average cost amount, but might be too low in reality.

The item is going to arrive, and that is pretty much for sure with tracking and ins. If the buyer turns into a screaming bitch, and says I don't like it, "I want my gawd damn money back", it's not as described!!!! Seller is going to have to refund. Buyer does not care about shipping price back to you in the US because they work at a place where they can send it out (free) at work with tracking and ins again. Item comes back to the US seller (packed poorly and beat to hell btw), and buyer is refunded. That is all fine except seller is out $149.50, just for trying to be a great sport and sell to all countries, and now has a beat up item.

So the Global Shipping Program takes away this risk of loss on a return, or loss on a lost item for the seller, and puts all the costs (and some risk) associated with this transaction on the buyer. In the event of a returned item, the seller is at least not out over a hundred. I like the idea of protecting sellers, but I think most international buyers are just going to say no, and bail.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  16. imarcq

On a slightly related point, eBay Australia just introduced 10% fees on the shipping as well as on the cost of the item. I get that they did this to stop people overcharging for shipping (and escaping some fees) BUT they still charge it on international sales. So if I decide to sell overseas I will pay eBay more fees on the buyer's shipping choice, ie airmail, registered, express, courier etc. So for me there is no price benefit to me personally at all. I'm worse off if the buyer decides to choose a premium service. If I just offer the cheapest airmail I have no proof of sending. Infact as eBay will only give you seller protection(LOLS) with a trackable service which costs the most, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

E.Baba likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Australia is a tough one for buyers. I wish that all postal countries would band together and price their shipping the same as to the UK and Germany. It's just impractical for doing business many times.

I have sent many items there, and I cringe at the cost as I quote the buyers the price. They are easy going buyers. Never a lost package and they don't deserve to pay so much in shipping. It's not like they live on the moon, or even the frozen North Pole.

18. imarcq

Yes there doesn't seem to be any worldwide logic. I lose buyers because our postage is way out of the ball park! I expect to be sending two single Rolling Stones LPs to a UK buyer which will probably cost him about $20 for the records. But the postage is showing at $45 for over 500g-1kg price point. It's crazy crazy crazy! :(

19. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

So ridicolous that someone in Germany can post me a record here fro 5-8 EUROS (I think), but it costs me $15 to post to Melbourne!!!

eddiel and imarcq like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh it's the local system reaming you. I thought it was only the rest of the world being such greedy mothers.

imarcq likes this.
  21. imarcq

Unless it's under 500g.....lol. Funny how those pesky vinyl LPs in a gatefold sleeve can just manage to clock in at 501g and instantly gobble up any remaining eBay profits........:(

otherdimension likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.