Scored a nice Denon Cassette deck today - DRR-780 horizontal loader

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gretsch6136, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

Back in the mid '90s I put together the best hi-fi system I could afford. After auditioning lots of equipment I settled on Denon, buying a PMA-1080 amp, DCD-3000 CD player, and Tu-490R tuner. Speakers were Polk RT12.

This was a seriously great system with the CD player winning the European Audio product of the year for 1995, and the amp with a claimed 105 watts RMS measuring a true 132 watts RMS.

I ran out of money and never bought a cassette deck - just kept using the old JVC I'd had since the early '80s.

Anyway today I was browsing our local online classifieds and came across a Denon DRR-780 horizontal loading deck. Some quick web research showed that it was a great deck, and even though it's not a three head deck, one person liked it more than his Nackamichi.

So I went and checked it out today and it was in superb condition with original remote. I couldn't pass it up so I paid the man and brought it home. At this moment I have it playing some of my old cassettes and it sounds superb. Absolutely stable speed, nice frequency extension and a really natural sound.

I'm not sure what year it was made, but I think it may be a couple years older than my other Denon equipment, but it looks a perfect match and now 19 years later, I have finally completed my old system.

If anyone has any experience with this model please feel free to add your comments. Oh, and if you would happen to have an owner's manual, I'd love a scan.

Cheers,

Mark

GuildX700, pscreed, Ntotrar and 2 others like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's always fun to get what you want even if it's a little late. What was the price if I may ask?

Gretsch6136 likes this.
  3. Gretsch6136

I paid $125 AUD, so roughly $117 in USD.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

That is a very nice Denon deck. The HX Pro on these sounds beautiful. I am amazed you have the remote for it!

This one will make very accurate recordings the level meters are quite precise in the DR series. I would start with a little easy maintenance to start you on your way. Add some light sewing machine oil to the capstan bearing and to the capstan motor bearing. If you can get to it...add some oil to the rewind motor bearing as well. A couple drops will do well. Demag and clean up those heads and pinch roller with 91% IPA. That should do it! The belts should still be in decent shape the machine is not that old.

Congrats - Have fun!

5. Gretsch6136

Hey thanks for the kind words Ron. I will do a little web research on how to do the oiling you mention. I have a head de-magnetiser, some Isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds, so I can handle the head cleaning.

GuildX700 and RonW like this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

The deck is from 1991.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.vintagecassette.com/denon/drr_780

Enjoy!

Ron

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I saw one of those odd Denons a few months back at a local thrift. I didn't get it because it wasn't 3 head and I didn't trust the mechanism. How do you clean it? Also I use cassette so seldom that I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my quite respectable Denon DRW-750. I won't upgrade even for $5 at a Thrift for something that's not 3 head.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I've read not to use isopropyl on the pinch roller because it causes the rubber to dry out. I've come across special stuff for cleaning them. Don't remember what that stuff is called, though.

Gretsch6136 likes this.
  9. Gretsch6136

Yeah I have done a little more research and your are correct Erniebert. Apparently a drop of detergent in some luke warm water or household ammonia is what you should use on the rubber rollers.

ShallowMemory, 4xoddic and RonW like this.
  10. Gretsch6136

Phil, You simply take off the top cover. I bit more trouble than a standard deck, but its just 9 screws and its off.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It's ok to use IPA on the pinch roller. The trick is not to drench the rubber with it. Use a slightly moist swab to wipe the roller clean. It should only be damp like it's been setting for awhile. I've been doing it for years it won't hurt the roller.

forthlin likes this.
  12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

The detergent will work fine as well just don't get things too wet in there.

GuildX700 likes this.
  13. Gretsch6136

Hi Ron,

Heads are now cleaned and de-magnetised, and pinch rollers cleaned with soapy water. Nothing was very dirty.

Also adjusted the head alignment in both play directions using a good pre-recorded cassette and headphones. It was just ever so slightly out - sounds even better now!

I'm really not sure about oiling the bearings you mentioned. How do you do it? If it requires removal of the mechanism, I don't think I'm up to that task.

14. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You should be able to get to the capstan bearing and it's motor bearing if you take the top cover off. Just look straight down in while the drawer is out. You should be able to get to the motor bearing from the side of the mechanism somehow...
    Unplugged!

15. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

What cassettes are you playing with this unit.....mixtapes, or store bought albums?

16. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Looks exactly like the Denon DAT deck I bought in 1992.

17. Gretsch6136

Hi Druboogie,

Mostly tapes I made many years ago. When I bought LPs I always taped them on first play and used the tapes as much as possible to preserve the records.

Ron, I don't really know what these bearings look like or where they are so, I will leave well enough alone. I sure don't want to stuff anything up!

18. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Hi Mark - congrats on the find!!

I don't mean to butt in but my knowledge of cassette decks is very limited - however I just purchased an entire system from a local chap for a specific piece and this cassette deck was a part of the package.

I thought you and maybe others on this thread could shed some light on this deck for me?

Ron mentions the HX Pro and that made my ears perk up.

The deck I have here is a Technics RS TR555 HX Pro double deck - in immaculate condition.
    Is this deck worth keeping (more for a piece of nostalgia) then anything else? I do have about 50 cassettes still around.

Or should I just move this along as a mediocre piece?

Thanks!

19. Gretsch6136

Hey just thought I'd post an update. The deck is still going really well. Don't use it much, but I exercise it every month or so to keep the belts turning and stopping them from developing kinks or anything. I learned how to oil the capstan bearings (Youtube is a great resource) and all is well.

Very happy with this deck.

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Awesome.

I can't get enough of the tape decks, myself.
    I have always loved and coveted so many different models, it's hard to say no when they pop up.

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Recently a thrift that I shop at had a Marantz dual well auto reverse deck for something like $25. It looked to be late 90s/20s era - fairly new. Made in China - looked good felt cheap. I had to restrain myself to leave it there. No, it's not better than my Denon..... I kept saying to myself. I hardly ever play tapes.

22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I don't know much about tape decks either. What's the difference between 2 versus 3 heads.
    How are the tascam decks ?

23. Gretsch6136

A three head deck uses separate erase, record, and playback heads. This allows you to monitor the recorded sound as the tape is being made.

A two head deck uses a separate erase head but the record and playback heads are combined into one that does double duty. You can't monitor the recording as its being made with this type of deck.

GuildX700 and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Picked up it's little brother this morning-610 will be performing playback duties only
    Loading mechanism is pretty interesting :)
    [​IMG]

25. Gretsch6136

Great man! The Denon horizontal loader club is finally coming together!

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.