Best mastering on CD for Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol 1 & 2?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yost, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

I want to buy a first pressing of Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2 on CD. Is there any difference in mastering, and thus sound, between US, EU and Japanese versions of these discs?

I'm particularly interested in thoughts about the sound quality of the Japanese 50DP-241/2 (or any of its siblings).

I also welcome SQ impressions on other pressings of this compilation, of course.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

3. I used to have the Japanese pressing (original mastering) and I did an AB comparison with the regular remaster. The remaster won easily in my opinion - it had much better clarity. The original seemed to be from an inferior tape.

4. Yost

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'm waiting for the SACD set from MFSL that I pre-ordered, I think it was 100 years ago. :)

6. Yost

That's sad to hear. According to the DR database info, the remaster is more compressed (3 DR levels on average). So I don't like buying the remaster.

7. Yost

Did you really pre-order it? Or was it mentioned in a press release and never heard of afterwards? I have The Nylon Curtain MFSL and like it a lot.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pretty sure it was a pre-order via Music Direct. I placed it back when I pre-ordered the Weezer LPs, which at least came through.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Any SACD from MFSL would be nice at this point.

10. KeithH

I pre-ordered it from Music Direct on November 28, 2012. As a side note, in checking my order just now, the home page said "Music Direct Recommended", and shown were six MFSL SACDs that haven't been released and for which there is no release date. :shake:

11. KeithH

Note that there are some differences in terms of content when comparing 1985 versions released in different parts of the world and then also when comparing those versions to the '98 remaster. The second link that tootull provided touches on this.

I like the '98 remaster, but I prefer the Japanese 50DP and 1985 C2K U.S. versions from a mastering standpoint.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Don't waste your money on the 50DP - the early US version, which is EXACTLY THE SAME, sells for under $5 at shops in my area [I'm near Joel's old hometown area so perhaps there is a glut]. I did not like the remaster in my a/b it lacked what ever punch and impact the music had which on most tracks was not much to start with. Of course it's your money but you can pretty much get 2 of the excellent MFSL's for the same coin [or less] as the not needed 50DP.

If you truly want best quality go for the MFSL's on all but 52nd Street. Grab them while they are still in print as prices in secondary market after that will be high. For 52nd I like the original Sony SACD and the original US mastering the best - and yes I've heard them all.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    wileycoyote likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Been happy enough with the US Columbia Family Productions Fatboy to not search out another-G2K-40121
    EAC Disc1, Not sure if the Japan is the same
    62.0/82.2/100/82.5/100/97.2/88.2/98.4/98.4/96.3/56.1

14. Yost

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciated!

15. Yost

The US version is a bit pricey too, as I live in Europe. But if the 50DP and the US first pressing share the same master, probably the EU version will too. And it can be found cheap.

I recently bought the MFSL The Nylon Curtain (for Pressure and Goodnight Saigon) and it sounds really nice. But I'm really not into all his albums. So I thought that buying GH Vol 1&2 will give me all the songs I know and like.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You might want to wait to see what the MFSL will be like (Lp for me). To me, it's one of the great, greatest hits collections. I know it's been a pre-order for a long while, but they've been pretty decent about releasing the Joel Lps lately.

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

That is best advice on this thread.

The MFSL of GH is supposed to be out later this year but of course who knows with them :)

18. Yost

Okay, that's good to know. Let's see what happens.

PS. Currently Piano Man recharts in The Netherlands as it is used in a commercial on TV and radio.

19. The original '80s-era of GH 1 & 2 uses the 45 edits where available for the previously-released tracks.

If I remember correctly, the remaster of GH 1 & 2 uses album versions throughout.

20. I think that is correct.

21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Nice hype on the upcoming SACD/LP, but still, interesting that it mentions that it was mastered from the original tapes for the first time. From what I've read, it's typical that greatest hits collections are generally not cut from master tapes. I can't recall the original us cd sounding outstanding. This could be a great upgrade:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-111759...numbered-limited-edition-hybrid-2-x-sacd.aspx

22. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

I thought that it was 300 years ago...

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Although it does make me wonder if they will use the 45 versions where applicable.

24. Yost

Well, at least one change to the original is that disc 2 contains both Honesty *and* Don't Ask Me Why.

On Facebook MFSL posted a reply on June 7th stating that GH 1&2 will be released by the end if September.

This double SACD would really be a no-brainer for me. I'll start saving right now. :love: :pineapple: :righton::pineapple: :waiting:

red corner, Mohojo and jeffreybh like this.
  25. KeithH

September for the SACD would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.