Rega P3-24 hum update

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ian, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

Well... I just brought my Rega home yesterday, set it up, plugged it in and wouldn't you know, the hum from the motor is gone. My guy put the 1194 copper shielding tape inside the motor housing (and just a little on the plinth) and hum problem #1 is taken care of. Now hum #2 (which is a grounding issue) is next on the list, and for that I'm ordering the Incognito tonearm rewiring kit. Thank you all for the suggestions earlier. They were helpful in tracking down both hum issues.
    Oh. Before I forget. What's the general consensus on Grado carts. Thinking about trying one out.

2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It's funny you're trying to get rid of hum, and the cartridge you're asking about has the most complaints about hum on certain turntables.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Fixed. :winkgrin:

4. Ian

Yeah... I just figured (hoped) that where the motor is now shielded that might not be an issue.

5. Ian

Alrighty! Hum problem #2 fixed. I decided to experiment and pop on my old Audio Technica 440ML (with the stylus from my 440MLa put on... It was in better shape). The hum lowered dramatically, but there was now some from the TTPSU. So, I took the advice of Tullman and qwinne61 and ran a wire from the TTPSU to the ground on my phonostage. Hum: GONE!! If I crank the crap out of it I can hear a faint hum, but that's far better than what it was. I've nixed the Grado in favor of getting a new stylus for the ML (although this one is still in pretty good shape). I am one happy boy. Thank you guys so much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.