Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Here are two Nat oddballs I had not seen before:
    61XkB7AQmtL.jpg 51Znd92fUcL.jpg
    Anybody familiar with these? What's on that 78?

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Don't know what is on that 78, but there couldn't be much music unless they use very short excerpts for that many artists. I see in the description that:
    "Johnny Mercer narrates in rhyme, and there are cameos by Peggy Lee, Jerry Colonna, Margaret Whiting, Andy Russell, Jo Stafford, Paul Weston, The Pied Pipers, Betty Hutton, Martha Tilton, The King Cole Trio, The Dinning Sisters, Benny Goodman and Stan Kenton. There is also a rare appearance by Capitol Records' co-founder Glenn Wallichs. "

I believe I have seen that Japanese LP for sale on the Bay. I have a different Japanese LP with the same title: The Best of Nat King Cole. It has a different song lineup except for 2 or 3 songs. They are both red vinyl made with EverClear. My LP number is 2LP 190. I bought it to hear their transfer of Autumn Leaves.

[​IMG]

kennyluc1 and MLutthans like this.
  3. dale 88

This photo of Nat King Cole and Marlene Dietrich is stamped 1960 Paris.

Rather blasé

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Chic and blasé, indeed -- fun to see!

I just thought of this: was Nat ever asked who his favorite male and female singers were? Or if not his favorites specifically, at least which singers he listened to?

I'm particularly curious about vocalists, but if anyone wants to also mention instrumentalists that Nat favored (I imagine he was more expansive on that matter), the more topics, the merrier.

And he must have done one or more blindfold tests. Anything memorable from his answers?

5. dale 88

Ridin'High, I can't point to any Cole comments about his favorite singers, except this once in an interview in the British magazine Melody Maker in 1952:

Never heard that he ever particiipated in a blindfold test.

Ridin'High likes this.
  6. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Well, we know he liked Bebop.

7. MLutthans

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. dale 88

I believe I have some piano music published by Sherman Clay.

For some reason, I would like to see all the covers that Dolores Erickson is on.:love:

MLutthans likes this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

She's also on WILD IS LOVE, though not the cover.

10. MLutthans

Funny thing about the "The Touch of Your Lips" cover. It's a GREAT photo, IMO, but to my eyes, there is one printed version that just knocks the others out of the park, and it's the 1986 UK "Dell" LP. Why? It doesn't have all that white, unprinted stuff around the edges, and no "STEREO" banner across the top. For whatever reason, on THAT album, all that "printer's flab" around the edges really distracts from the image. Weird. Every time I pick up that Dell LP, I think: Boy, that looks GREAT! What a cover! It's just the image, absolutely edge-to-edge.

11. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

It always makes me sad to see something like this. A location that served as a hub of culture and music for an entire area and multiple generations and has been in business for over a hundred years closes up. I just think of the legacy and history that disappears.

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A seller on Ebay has posted some interesting items, acquired recently in an estate sale of items belonging to Maria Cole.

-Two alternate covers for COLE ESPA(G)NOL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAT-KING-CO...46779832?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item5d4e5e94b8
    [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAT-KING-CO...46779802?pt=Art_Paintings&hash=item5d4e5e949a
    [​IMG]

-A double-sided 1961 acetate of "Brazilian Love Song," known here as "Brazilian Love Bird." The first side, take 6, features only the background singers and musicians (no Nat), while take 7 on side 2 includes Nat's vocal on top of take 6. Nat's vocal, however, is completely different from the released version. This performance was possibly recorded in Rio in April, but the finished vocal was likely overdubbed once back in Los Angeles.

Both sides can be listened to in their entirety at the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAT-KING-CO...6406116?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5d4e58e0e4

13. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Here's another unreleased take on acetate by the same seller.

Let True Love Begin. The two released versions are without the girls chorus on the entire track or with it on the entire track. On this acetate, they are not on the first verse, but come in on the second. The acetate has takes 16 and 23. The seller only has one side up to listen to and does not say which side it is. The released version with the chorus is take 7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAT-KING-CO...ACETATE-CAPITOL-MASTER-23611-16-/361000820024

EasterEverywhere, dale 88 and jtaylor like this.
  14. dale 88

A UK compilation of Nelson Riddle is arriving in a couple of weeks. It is from Acrobat, so we know it is coming from either 78s, 45s or LPs before 1963. There are 4CDs. There are a handful of Cole tracks including another "This Can't Be Love".

[​IMG]

kennyluc1 likes this.
  15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Anybody here pick these up? They both sold.

16. dale 88

I wasn't able to bid on those. Hope it is someone we know.:)

From that group of items from Maria's estate sale, I did get the 10 inch Capitol LP of Sings for Two in Love. Who knows, it might have been Nat's original copy.:pleased:

bozburn, coleman and jtaylor like this.
  17. dale 88

Glad I bought the 10 inch LP of Sings for Two In Love. I have never seen a 10 inch LP that clean, both vinyl and cover. No groove wear. It is a D1 copy and it has in inspection stamp on the cover -- INSP. L-56. The sound has presence and clarity, but the bass is not quite as full as my D1 12 inch LP.

18. MLutthans

I was mildly surprised to see Nat still appearing on Capitol promos in the fall of 1967:
    DSC_0831NatColeSampler1967.jpg

EasterEverywhere, bozburn and dale 88 like this.
  19. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I bet that's the rhythm enhanced version of Unfair. Isn't 1967 around the time they made all his music better by adding the rhythm section?

20. dale 88

1967 is the year I have down for the release of the 'enhanced' LP - Thank You, Pretty Baby which has Unfair on it.

[​IMG]

21. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

If only I could get my hands around Hilda's neck.

22. dale 88

Ha. What a picture!

23. dale 88

Has anyone ever heard that Nat played Jamaica? I have found a couple of incomplete references. I suppose it would have been logical for Nat on one of his three visits to Cuba, to sail on over to Jamaica. The jazz pianist Monty Alexander says Nat played the Glass Bucket nightclub in Jamaica.

24. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

In the book by James Haskins page 134, the author, says that Nat played Jamaica and Trinidad in March of 1955.

jtaylor likes this.
  25. dale 88

Thanks, I didn't remember seeing that.