New Highway 61 Revisited MFSL Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

This is not correct, the remix starts with a 2 prefix. There are plenty of examples of 1B and possibly 1C as well, check out searching for a gem. I can't remember which my Alt copy is , but I wanted to update the record here.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  2. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Yes, I double-checked my copy with the alternate version and it's 1C/1C.

3. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Thanks Cassius for the correction. I was told the 1A was the only pressing that had the alt version. I appreciate the update!

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Sorry for the threadcrap, but is there any updated information about when the MOFI CD will be coming out, or "SACD" for those of you so equipped?

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's been suggested that they are coming by the end of the summer. I hope so.

6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

No worries I didn't want to be a jerk, just make sure when people are reviewing the archives in the future that they don't get bad info. Cheers
    C

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Vinylsoul 1965

No worries at all. I am all about truth - and this forum is what we are looking for with regards to certain pressings. I am a big boy and have been known to be wrong before :)

Cassius likes this.
  8. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

The Facebook insinuated that Times, 61, New Morning and Flood would see SACDs Aug to October if no prod delays.

9. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Do you have evidence to support your not so subtle implication that they're using a digital source? That is what you're implying right?

lukpac likes this.
  10. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Not vague at all. They state it in uppercase type on every album. And when it's not clearly sourced from the original master it's clearly labeled. Why the innuendo? What are your sources please? No vague answers please.

11. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Got my copy yesterday from Amazon, it sounds great on my system.

12. aoxomoxoa

I thought it was already established that it was from a digital source since they used the remix.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Blonde on Blonde remix was printed to analog tape.

Zomvid and jgrillo like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

Ok sorry. Thanks Luke

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

FYI:

"Brauer, under the guidance of Columbia Legacy producer Steve Berkowitz, set out to create a mix that would match as closely as possible the sound of the stereo vinyl version which people would be familiar with. Berkowitz located as good and as original a vinyl copy as he could find, and he and Brauer used that as a reference point. The remixing was done from a copy of the original four-track studio master tapes, using Brauer's extensive range of vintage and modern equipment at Quad studios in New York. According to Brauer, they carefully matched the stereo positioning and balance of the instruments, the fade-outs and all the other sonic characteristics, constantly listening to what Brauer was producing and comparing back with the vinyl. Given this, it is clear that what they worked from was not (as they believed) an original 1966 stereo copy of the album, but a somewhat later copy containing most if not all of the revised mixes. This may have been unwitting, but I think it was also fortuitous given the poor quality of the original stereo mix.

Once Brauer had finished the analogue remix, well-known mastering engineer Greg Calbi then transferred it into two digital formats: DSD for production of the Super Audio CD, and PCM format for the possible production of a conventional CD version. Again, his work was checked back against the reference vinyl copy of the album."

http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

jgrillo and aoxomoxoa like this.
  16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Mofi themselves verified this when I emailed them.

lukpac likes this.
  17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

What does it mean when they say the original stereo mix is of poor quality?

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

All of the details are on Roger's site (linked in my post), but early pressings of the album had alternate mixes for some songs, which he considers inferior. That is what the line refers to.

19. Vinylsoul 1965

So even the original four tracks were copied? Wow - those original session tapes must have been stored in a furnace lol! Do we know why they didn't mix from the original four tracks?

20. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Unfortunately I have found System unreliable recently. I preordered the MFSL Los Lobos Kiko in March; it never turned up and I only managed to secure a refund in June. They have been fine in the past.

21. KatyA

KatyA Active Member

Brian DeWitt likes this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They would have had to make a copy for safety reasons I would think. Too dangerous to risk doing mixing using the original tapes even if they exist and are in good condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.