Best Turntable for $400 ??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All, I am looking to getting another turntable but have a budget of £200 ($400) what is the best for sound etc, I already have a decent Amp and Speakers ??

2. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

A used SL1200.

:agree:

dogpile, theron d, dconsmack and 2 others like this.
  3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I would buy a classic used turntable for that price. Do you have any shops near you that sell refurbished tables?

nolazep, gingerly and Maidenpriest like this.
  4. Maidenpriest

[QUOT
    ="This Heat, post: 10804730, member: 48274"]I would buy a classic used turntable for that price. Do you have any shops near you that sell refurbished tables?[/QUOTE]
    What Is a classic ?

5. kman

kman Forum Resident

classic = something old, looks cool, and still works

This Heat likes this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

SL1200. Upgrade when funds allow.

dogpile, Maidenpriest and This Heat like this.
  7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

..sorry, but it was too easy

8. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Or stick a decent cartridge on a used Dual :) That was my set up before upgrading to a Thorens 160D Super.

sushimaster and gingerly like this.
  9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Boy, the wireless technology back then was nice!

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

...and cheap. - cheap... cheap...

Robin L, thesisinbold, timind and 6 others like this.
  11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Another vote for the 1200, specifically (in Europe) the SL1210-MK2. Best £200 I ever spent.

dogpile, Maidenpriest and Nielsoe like this.
  12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That's the one I got. Upgraded with RB250 with rewire, Timestep PSU, Origin Live armboard, mat and feet. Best 700£ I ever spent.

Robert C likes this.
  13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

There are multiple Technics to be had under that price that will work well and leave enough money for a cartridge and some sort of cleaning system and an alignment protractor. In your neck of the woods I would think you could find a Thorens too.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  14. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Rega RP1. Very close to budget.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

A used Technics 1200II IMHO. Not only is it the best for $400, it might be the best for much, much more.

dogpile, Nielsoe and Robert C like this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

17. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Will have to be used in the UK to target £200.
    I guess it depends on exchange rate sells for £325 in the UK. Though have seen Rega Planar 3 on eBay for £200. We're trusting your amp's phono section here BTW.

18. Maidenpriest

19. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

For $400 new, a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is a good choice. For used, $400 will get you most vintage turntable models: Thorens, Dual, Technics, Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Kenwood, etc. It all depends on what you're looking for in a second deck. What's your first turntable, and why are you interested in a second?

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As a percentage of total cost for a $400 'table an $80 cartridge represents 20% of the total budget. That sounds about right with me. Although better cartridges are better cartridges and inevitably will cost more, theere is a limit with your budget of what a reasonable price for a cartridge would be. Sticking a $400 cartridge on a $2000 'table makes sense. Sticking a $400 cartridge on a $400 'table does not.

21. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The Classic:

Used P3: RB 300 tonearm, high-quality cabling and plinth, glass platter, and much better than either the RP1 or Carbon Debut IMHO...

WapatoWolf and Vernoona like this.
  22. Maidenpriest

Bush MTT1, my parents bought it as a birthday gift some time ago after many years without a turntable, I can not remember any of my past ones but I have always got budget ones, never spent more than $200 !!

23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Bill, how COULD you?................

24. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I can second the recommendation to buy used. When I got back into vinyl several years ago, I bought a restored Dual CS 604 for 90 Euros. I have since also bought a restored Dual CS 1229 for 179 Euros. Both tables are in perfect shape and are very reliable. I got them from sellers who restore vintage turntables for a hobby. I'm sure you can find these kind of deals also in your 'neck of the woods'. One can always spend more and at some point I might upgrade to better cartridges, but at the moment I prefer to spend my money on (lots of) vinyl. :)

Maidenpriest and Scott222C like this.
  25. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I third that. Can't go wrong with a DUAL 1219, 1229, 701, etc . With vintage, always go with restored and the top of the line models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.