Elvis Presley - "That's The Way It Is" Legacy Edition And Expanded Eight Disc Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no!

2. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Ok I give in. Preordered from Amazon uk :D

3. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Double post.

4. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Well I'm definitely getting this when it goes on sale here in the US of A.

artfromtex likes this.
  5. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

So when will we get the updated "1968 Comeback Special" Deluxe Set?

6. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

7. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

These samples are awesome! Thanks for posting.

9. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

From the blog ...

Elvis Presley made the most of his 1968 comeback. Not only was there a televised special and a soundtrack album, it led to a series of Las Vegas residencies that resulted in a documentary feature and another soundtrack album, both titled “That’s the Way It Is” when they were released separately in 1970.

Now the film and soundtrack album are coming together for the first time as part of “Elvis: That’s the Way It Is,” a new eight-CD, two-DVD box set compiling the documentary, the original soundtrack, six complete concert recordings from Presley’s August 1970 Vegas residency and outtakes from rehearsals. Speakeasy today premieres a previously unreleased live version of the singer’s 1956 hit “Heartbreak Hotel.”

This take on the song comes from the “dinner show” on Aug. 12, 1970 (he was performing two shows a night), and after Presley calls out chords, he and the band launch into the song to a wave of applause from the audience at the International Hotel. The King cracks up briefly midway through—it’s not clear why—but otherwise sounds like he’s at the peak of his powers.

Along with other previously unreleased tracks, “Elvis: That’s the Way It Is” features Presley’s versions of “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon & Garfunkel, “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” by the Righteous Brothers and “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me,” which was a hit for Dusty Springfield. The box set is due Aug. 5 on RCA/Legacy Recordings.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

11. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

Thanks again for pointing out this price drop as I have just seen that it is back up too £116. Much appreciated it seems like a bargain now. Even if in reality it is a little expensive at £77. Thanks again.

hodgo likes this.
  12. MEMPHISSUN

Here is another sound sample,another song to hear the new mix.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...p-falling-in-love-exclusive-audio-new-box-set

The King's Vegas performances have been packaged together for a box set out in August.
    In 1970, That's the Way It Is was captured. A concert film following Elvis's performances at the Hotel International. A landmark moment in his career, these shows saw Elvis shape-shift from teen icon into a white jumpsuit-wearing showman, and became the start of the Vegas period, which continued until his death on 16 August 1977.

For the first time, the video and audio from these shows will be released together, including the live album, theatrical and home video versions of the film, six full-length concerts featuring previously unreleased performances, rehearsal highlights and a booklet featuring rare photographs, memorabilia and recording data.

Below, we have an exclusive preview of a new release his performance of Can’t Help Falling in Love, recorded at on 12 August 1970. It appears on disc for the first time with this new release.

Elvis: That's The Way It Is will be released on 4 August via Legacy Recordings, the catalogue division of Sony Music Entertainment.

Mr. H likes this.
  13. MEMPHISSUN

Rick H. and dee like this.
  14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Be forewarned, the complete concert link required me to log in through Facebook. I'll wait for the CD, I'm sick of giving out my info.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have cancelled my pre-order and ordered the 2-disc version instead. I can't justify the price for just one unreleased show and 2 dvds I don't need. Hopefully it will become cheaper at some point.

Peachy likes this.
  16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I've downloaded the 2disc version from iTunes (12,90€...OK).

17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Let us know what you think Marcus!

Two questions, is the first disc the original mix or has it too been remixed for this box, and are the original singles included in mono or stereo?

mikrt17 likes this.
  18. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Ordered the two disc edition from play.com

19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

On amazon.de and iTunes you can also find the "Deluxe Edition" for 29,99/39,99€ as a download.

20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The "Original Singles" are mono. The SQ is very good for me. Going to play it the whole weekend! Don't know about the mixes...

21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Now that is something I'm glad to hear as I really enjoy those mono mixes of Elvis 1970's era singles.

Mr. H likes this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Is it just me or does Amazon US only have the 2 disc "Legacy" available as a digital download?

23. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

The 2-CD set is coupled under the listing for the big box set.

24. MEMPHISSUN

For those not getting the big set ... here it is (Spoiler Alert).

hodgo, RiRiIII, fitzysbuna and 3 others like this.
  25. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

This gets released tomorrow. But sadly I will be working away from home. Amazon auto rip is a blessing in these circumstances, all be it the only way I can listen is via my iPhone and my Minx blue tooth speaker. The suspense would have killed me otherwise , I will not be back home until thursday evening.
    I cant wait to hear "I Just Can't Help Believin'" the single version in its proper concert context without the overdubs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.