Chilean psych movement

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zakyfarms, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane. Thread Starter

zphage, Brudy, osbie feel and 3 others like this.
  2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

There's something going on down here. This wicked geography...... It was about time people realized something strange was cooking here. We are the new Mordor

3. zakyfarms

That statement sums it up pretty well I'd say.

4. MrTrickle

MrTrickle Forum Resident

I've got a couple Follakzoid LPs. Great stuff! Interested to check out those other bands too. I didn't realize there was a Chilean psych "movement". :edthumbs:

5. zakyfarms

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/jan/25/chile-home-of-cosmic-rock

The Atacama desert, high in northern Chile, provides the Earth's best vantage point for watching the stars. Clear and dry for 300 days of the year, it's home to 42% of the world's space telescopes; it's humanity's most ambitious base camp for looking out at the final frontier. At the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) – 66 radio antennas near the spine of the Andes – astronomers hope to detect galaxies that could house life-supporting, water-bearing planets, while the Very Large Telescope (VLT) observes outer space with an interferometer that is four billion times more powerful than the naked eye.

Stargazing is something of a way of life in Chile, so it shouldn't be so surprising that the country's capital, Santiago, is currently home to a thriving psychedelic rock scene. This month, the Sacred Bones label (which has already given the world Zola Jesus and Moon Duo) is putting out formidable albums from two of the brightest lights in the city's star system. Föllakzoid's five-track collection II deals in nefarious, irresistible, krautrocky darkwave, while Noctuary, from 60s-loving psych warriors the Holydrug Couple, sounds like an even more blissed-out Tame Impala. Together with enchanting power trio La Hell Gang and the ritualistic Watch Out! (all labelmates on the fabulously named Blow Your Mind records), the Santiago scene is fast catching the attention of plugged-in stoners worldwide.

You could say that there's something in the water, but Chile's propensity for psychedelic sounds has more to do with what's written in the stars. As Föllakzoid guitarist and experimental film-maker Domingo García-Huidobro explains, "We find, in the cosmos, a source of inspiration where everyone, no matter where he's from, can be separated from his body. He can separate physically within the music." Domingo believes that South America exists in the pull of a gravitational field that allows communication with other places, times and dimensions. So far, so far-out, but to him, it's completely obvious. As 18-year-olds, Föllakzoid and his friends found themselves jamming out dirges close in length and depth to the work of Neu! and the other Krautrock godheads, without ever having heard those bands. This, they figured, could be no coincidence. "We developed the theory that those guys, in different times, must have got the same vibes we are receiving. They wanted the sound to be bigger, they wanted to lift people from their environment."

Furthermore, he reckons those telescopes are acting as some kind of conduit across the planes, helping to guide the destiny of him, his bandmates and everyone on the Chilean psych scene. "Being in Chile makes you closer to the stars. A lot of the things we decide in our lives, we leave to general karma. And, yeah, space has a lot to do with it."

zphage, Brudy, Laibach and 1 other person like this.
  6. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

I had no idea Holydrug Couple was Chilean. I've given them a spin and don't recall much; now they've earned a fresh spin, just for being Chilean. I love 60's Chilean psych, it makes Nuggets sound timid.

Laibach likes this.
  7. zakyfarms

I'd be interested in getting a recommendation for a 60s compilation, if you know of a good one.

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

thanks for the thread!

same here. I've heard a bit of Chicha music, and have no doubt that there is much more

9. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Love, Peace & Poetry Vol. 10: Chilean Psychedelic Music (Volume 10 of a psych series; this volume focuses on Chile)

[​IMG]

It probably isn't the best Chilean comp as the selection of artists is narrow, but it's relatively easy to find, and the only one I own at the moment. I used to have a better ocomp that was more inclusive, but the title of it escapes me. If I can remember it, I'll post it.

10. villegas

villegas Active Member

Great stuff indeed.
    I found their LP records here: http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/pages/artists

Hey, Izozeles, do you know where to find some of their vinyl records in SCL?

11. Izozeles

12. Izozeles

Here are some recommendations for those searching for Chilean pyscodelia:

Aguaturbia S/T. Early 70´s rock Jefferson Airplane style
    Los Jaivas. Any of their early albums up to Alturas de Machu Pichu. For starters you might try a comp called Obras Cumbres

Both should be easy to find

13. zakyfarms

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll seek some out.

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Wow. Amazing t0pic. Never had any idea this was going on in Chile.

15. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Totally dig the Follakzoid -- but bummed that the LP of (volume) II cuts "Pulsar" down for length. (Get it together Sacred Bones!)

Will investigate the others -- thanks.

16. zakyfarms

17. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

wasn't really moved by the first two, but wow LA Hell Gang is great! I'm listening to it on bandcamp pretty sure ill pick up the LP in the near future. Thanks for turning me onto it!

18. NapalmBrain

bummer unavailable through my local, none on discogs or ebay and $40 plus shipping from BYM records site! If you happen to know where I can buy an lp version cheaper let me know please. really loving "Just What Is Real"

19. zakyfarms

mexicansummer.com for the new one, but Just What Is Real is a few years old, probably OOP on vinyl.

20. NapalmBrain

yeah seems the label is the only one who has it still and they overcharge for everything, I'm going to check out the new album today and if I like it anywhere near as much I can snag it from my local

21. blood meridian

blood meridian New Member

morinix likes this.
  22. blood meridian

blood meridian New Member

and please don't forget about the hurricane heart attacks.. :goodie:

zphage likes this.
  23. zakyfarms

Thank you! Really digging The Ganjas.

Here's another one I found:
    The Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane

blood meridian likes this.
  24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Chicha!

There is a band from the Southwest (mostly Arizona) who got together to play Chicha music
    after listening to a compilation CD endlessly on tour.
    Sample them: http://chichadust.bandcamp.com/ ....psychedelic cumbia...

They aren't just random dudes, Brian Lopez and Gabriel Sullivan have very busy schedules
    and very full pages of musical credits.

25. Groovy stuff! break out the incense and the door beads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.