My First "High End" System!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am so excited I can't stand it...I just pulled the trigger on my first real "high end" bit of gear!

- McIntosh C2500 preamp
    - McIntosh MC452 Amp

Complete with Audioquest Colorado interconnects. This will be integrating for now into my Yamaha AVENTAGE AVR for home theater applications, and my Rega RP3 turntable

Once I get everything set up I will hope to write some sort of actual review that is actually worth something to readers : )

Thank you to all the members here in this forum that talked to me about options, answered my questions and responded to my recent posts about upgrades. At the end of the day, I know this system is not everybody's taste and that there is always better, but this kind of money for me is a one time thing I hope will give me years of enjoyment and I couldn't be more excited!

It's kind of funny how much my system has grown in just about 2 years lol ...addiction.

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Congratulations! Let us know your impressions.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Congratulations!

4. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

Love the C2500, a buddy has one and I'm there often listening to records. I considered the MC452 when I bought my amp. Tons of power. Enjoy it well!

Long Live Analog likes this.
  5. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

From one McIntosh owner to another, Welcome to the family....

6. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

This is one powerful amp. Blue meters as bonus!

7. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

8. Joey_Corleone

Also, the C2500 has what I hope to be a very nice DAC so I plan on running optical out of my AppleTV to it for all my digital music needs. Apple lossless streamed via Airplay to AppleTV --> C2500. Next major piece will be speakers...when I actually have money again : )

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yep speakers would come in handy :righton:

10. Joey_Corleone

Speaker upgrade of course : ) I currently have Canton GLE 490.2's. They were a great gateway drug speaker, but I know they won't do the Mc gear justice. My plan of attack was to first take care of preamp and amp and then work on a major speaker upgrade next. My amplification was the weakest link in my chain, so I wanted to do it once, big and right.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Congrats Joey, nice stuff!

I have been loving my mix of McIntosh C2300 and MC 452, for about two years now. I have thought about upgrading the C2300 to the newer C2500, like you bought and especially since McIntosh themselves just this week sent me an e-mail saying that I could trade-up and get 75% of my original purchase price for the C2300, but, it seems that too many on this forum like that C2300 a bit better and that I should stay put with what I've got?

12. Joey_Corleone

If you are happy, stick with it! I was considering the C2300 initially, but the dealer I am working through says they are no longer available new, and I do enjoy the idea of the DAC in the C2500. If I had a C2300 and was happy with whatever DAC I was using with it, I probably would not be too worried...looks like a great unit. Also, I don't have an offboard DAC I could use anyway, and digital is a big part of my overall experience along with analog, so that would be more additional cost

I'd love to hear any other feedback you have, because our systems will be very similar

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  13. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Harbeths would really sing with those components.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Congrats. Your speakers will love it, no worries.
    -Bill

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Why? Remember the "source first" rule - you might be surprised.

16. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pics...or it never happened....:winkgrin:

Congrats- be prepared to be blown away!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  17. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

That's awesome and a fantastic matched system, you'll be hugely impressed with the quality of both of those pieces. Make sure you post some pics when you get everything setup. The MC452 is one heck of an amplifier! :righton: Congrats.

- Buck

18. Joey_Corleone

Oh you can bet on that. Technically, I don't have the gear yet. The C2500 he has on hand, but the MC452 was ordered today by the dealer from McIntosh. Then there is the issue that I am going to drive 3.5 hours one way to pick this gear up.

I also need to probably look into some new shelving to house this stuff. My current home entertainment shelf is some cheapo thing I got at Walmart and it is not big enough. Any suggestions? I would prefer to keep the McIntosh gear and AVR in the middle as opposed to off to the side in a vertical standing rack...what good are those $15,000 worth of blue meters if I can't see them :p I need something beefy enough to hold the 140+ pounds of McIntosh gear, plus my Yamaha Aventage receiver, PS3, PS4, Apple TV, DirecTV box and small network switch.....oh and my all important center channel. Actually...here is a pic of what I have now if it helps. Something maybe similar to that but a bit wider and with more open space to fit these beasts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

check out craigslist.....lots of stands and audio/TV shelves out there....might see a pic that is what you dig and can get more of a head start on a new piece. And the sears near me always has some on clearance from floor displays.....cheap too!

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This is what I use and was the ONLY thing that I could find that held at least 125 pounds per shelf and was reasonably priced ...

TV is on the top shelf
    McIntosh C2300 and the MC452 on the second shelf
    Oppo 93, Cable box and power conditioner on bottom shelf

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/racks/efav40/

beppe and Joey_Corleone like this.
  21. kman

kman Forum Resident

Sweet

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Your upgrade path is pretty similar to mine. I just got the C2300 a few months ago and probably won't be able to get the MC452 until next spring. Speakers will be a year or two after that and I'm really looking forward to auditioning the likes of Sonus Faber Olympica III or a couple of Tannoy models among others.

23. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Congrats on the new gear and enjoy the music!

24. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Nothing like opening up a fresh box of McIntosh!

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  25. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Cogratulations!

The DAC in the 2500 is very good IMO.
    The 2500 paired with the 452 should be able to drive almost any speakers out there.

I hope you enjoy your new rig as much as I do my C2300 and MC275!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.