Sia: 1000 Forms of Fear

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I don't mean to patronise, so apologies in advance if you knew this, but are you aware that Sia co-wrote Diamonds?

I've been tempted to pick up this new album on the back of Some People... but I really haven't enjoyed her more recent pop-star collaborations and fear that her new album may be a move away from the sound/style of Some People...

Her performances on Later With Jools Holland remain some of my all-time faves from that show (and that's saying something).

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's the only reason I ever listened to the song in the first place. This version is pretty great:

New album is more...produced than Some People, which I actually found to be way underproduced (although the songs were fantastic). More elaborate production this time, but I don't think the songs as a whole are on the level of her previous 3 records (I really enjoyed We Are Born as well)

3. Paul H

Gotcha. Will check out the clip. I actually quite like Diamonds. There's no denying it isn't catchy :)

Some People is such a good album (one of my all-time favourites) that I really would be doing Sia a disservice by not at least checking her new one out.

And if you haven't seen her Later With Jools appearances, you really should check them out :)

4. walrus

It's catchy, but the 'popular' version is so devoid of humanity that I can't handle it. Hearing it sung by it's writer with actual instruments behind it was the only way I actually could listen to the whole song.

I don't remember if i saw her 'Later' apperances, but I saw her live several times during her touring days of '05-'07, and she was mesmerizing every single time.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Paul H

Excellent performance. That girl really has got a great voice.

6. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

I recorded most of the Later With Jools Holland shows in 2007 - 2008, and actually authored a 2-hour DVD compilation from them, which I shared liberally with friends and family (Christmas 2008), but SOMEHOW I missed that one with Sia.

Had I noticed she was performing on the show, it would have been recorded without a second's thought.

Watching them now, somewhat diminished, on yootoob, I can't fathom my oversight;

"Step away from me lover,
    away from me lover...."

Sigh.

7. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

I have a suspicion that I might have seen that Coldplay were on the guest-list for the show, and it turned me straight off.

Paul H likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I actually like Rihanna's version of "Diamonds". I imagine that Sia made enough from that particular hit song that she can comfortably pick and choose who she writes for, when/if she records her own music, and how she promotes it (i.e., not appearing in videos, singing with her back to the audience, etc.)!

9. walrus

I am sure that was part of why she's able to promote her record in an unconventional manner. It may be a good song, but most of this modern pop stuff just leaves me cold...I don't mind that it's electronic, but it's that it rarely feels like there's any humanity or personality behind the instrumentation. Even the best techno from my electronica days (Underworld, Daft Punk, Orbital, etc) still felt like there were live humans behind it, just playing with samplers and sequencers the way I play with guitars...newer tracks just sound like a producer with a MacBook and a formula, and it just leaves me cold. Which is a shame when you get a song like "Diamonds" that actually ends up being quite lovely when its actually sung by it's proper author.

10. Paul H

You're getting old, my friend. And sounding just like your dad :)

Seriously, I gave 1000 Forms of Fear a quick audition on Spotify last night following this discussion. I only made it through the first 3 tracks because my better half decided we wanted to go for a walk. I was singing the chorus of Big Girls Cry as we walked. Wow, what a hook that song has. Caught me on FIRST listen.

11. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

More than a few "professional critics" have been less than complimentary about this album.

One of them (I believe in the NY Times) said it sounded like Sia was delivering all the songs "through a bullhorn"

I would suggest that this is actually a consequence of the mega-compression which has been applied, as if it's "just another pop album", which I've already commented on.

I think this compression is particularly destructive when it's inflicted on such a powerful voice.

It's a matter-of-ascertained-fact that this compression makes listening 'fatiguing', and I've noticed the effect myself many times when trying to listen all the way through albums I might otherwise have 'played to death'.

It's about time that the morons running the "music biz" allowed CeeDee releases to return to a semblance of "fidelity", and left the compressed-to-death download and streaming versions for the commuters and iPod listeners, if that's what the latter REALLY want.

I'm not going to pay for "1000 Forms of Fear" in its current form - no way.

(I willingly pay the going rate for the "product" if it's worth it - I recently bought practically the entire Joni Mitchell catalogue on CeeDee, at an average of c. €8 per disc, because I could count on being able to kick back and RELAX, listening to them in REAL 'hi-fidelity').

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Paul H likes this.
  12. Paul H

Well, after one listen, I have to say that most of this leaves me cold. Big Girls Cry is head and shoulders above the rest of the album. And, I have to say that I don't see how the production on this album is any better than that used on Rihanna's recording of Diamonds. Disappointing. I won't just give up on it though, I'll give it a few more listens but this isn't a must-buy.

13. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

"Chandelier" grabbed me the first time I heard it (almost, but not quite, like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" did).

I've been "casually" paying attention to Sia since getting hold of the first two Zero 7 albums over a decade ago, on which her voice is both affected and affecting (!!??).

I avoided her solo work until recently, I think because I feared that I'd be disappointed by extreme mawkishness (which I DESPISE).

14. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

The album, as available, is bordering on un-listenable.

Look at the replaygain figures again - it's no wonder it leaves you cold.

Paul H likes this.
  15. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

BTW, I often referred to discussions here when deciding on which CeeDee release of each of Joni's albums to go for.

Thanks, guys.

16. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

I repeat;

I WILL NOT PAY FOR THIS ALBUM IN ITS CURRENT FORM.

Clear enough?

17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Anyone have the vinyl release? I've been going back and forth on this one for a few days now - wondering what the SQ is like over the CD / lossy release.

18. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

Vinyl release?

That would be cool.

But FFS - is a decent digital release too much to ask?

Apparently, it is.

19. Paul H

You're absolutely right but it isn't just the mastering that's the problem (although, undoubtedly, it doesn't help); I just don't think the songs are there. That said, a good album takes several listens to get into but this one just doesn't offer the chance to get into it.

20. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

I'm sorry, but it's just NOT POSSIBLE to "get into" an album like this one, when all that there is of it is a crushed, 4dB-dynamic-range abortion.

There SEEM to be some marimbas, or a synthesised version of them, on "Chandelier", but I'm not quite sure - I can barely make out ANY of the instrumentation on the track.

Think back to the days when HUGE productions were what MADE albums the hits they were, as 1000 Forms of Fear should have been.

21. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

Well, I'm getting to know "Some People have Real Problems".

It may not be quite as bad, sonically, as "1000 Forms ...", but it's still atrocious.

No space, no breath, no inflection in the voice is allowed in the production.

What utter, mindless vandalism. So sad. God help us.

22. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I bought this cd for my daughter and last night I listened to it with headphones...talk about ear fatgue!!

I love the songs, her voice, lyrics are pretty good....I found myself wishing that she recorded with a band instead of electronis.
    Maybe I will daisy chain 9 tube buffers and see if that will fix the awful production.

23. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

The album IS with a band, you just can't hear them, thanks to the mega-hard-limiting.

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

You are right...after trying to read the terrible booklet, i did see it had real musicians....what a shame.

25. Skweek

Skweek Active Member

Disagree.

This should be a masterpiece.

I've cranked it up several times now, and just wished I could really hear it.

WHitese likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.