Jack White: "The Black Keys Rip Me Off"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yep. And he probably experienced it as well.

2. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Well, that's it, then. I'm deleting all my Jack White because he's a whiney bitch.

3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Who cares? He's probably like a lot of musicians - best to not know them personally because they're usually both d***s and weirdos.

Paully and Kevin j like this.
  4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Jack looks like an angry housewife still pissed about Bartman.

5. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Load of nonsense from Jack White. I like both bands (I do prefer Jack and White Stripes a little) and they both clearly heard the great albums The John Spencer Blues Explosion put out in the early 90's like 'Extra Width' and 'Orange' and especially the album they made with RL Burnside and they also clearly listened to RL's contemporary Junior Kimbrough. Black Keys even released a min-album of Kimbrough covers. Both bands took that style of raw, revved up blues and went with it and having similar names and very similar set up's and influences they got grouped together. It's a nonsense from Jack to say the Black Keys ripped him off.

warewolf95, crassus515 and No Static like this.
  6. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

What the real blues musicians probably would've thought about all of this thievery.

Son House on Jack White - Who is this screechy-voiced kid think he is, butchering my songs?

Junior Kimbrough on the Black Keys - Just because ya'll came to Chulahoma doesn't mean you can play the blues, boys.

Robert Johnson on Eric Clapton - Keep trying Eric, you've got some talent, but you've still got a ways to go.

Leadbelly on Kurt Cobain - The blues is about soul, not anger. Why you screaming all the words?

Muddy Waters on The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin - What makes these dainty little English boys think they know anything about the blues?

docwebb, warewolf95 and BIG ED like this.
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I never thought there was anything that Jack White did that was rip-off worthy.

overdrivethree likes this.
  8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The scene in It Might Get Loud where Jack White is in his attic and puts on Son House's record and queues up Grinning In Your Face and listens to it and talks about that song being inspirational to him made me have newfound respect for the guy.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

There is no one out there now his age doing anything worthwhile musically IMO.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Whatever happened to "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?" Long as they're not directly stealing your tunes and lyrics, Jack, be flattered that they're influenced by you. I guess they really should acknowledge it, though. Reminds me of Michael Stipe saying the Beatles had no influence on REM.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Excellent observation.

If I were able to like this twice, I would.

12. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Me and Johnny Salton were doing the same friggin' thing as both the White Stripes and The Black Keys back in 1989 as a blues guitar and drums duo. Why? Because we couldn't find a bassist. If we had a bassist, we were "The Psycho Daisies, no bass "The Hellhounds". We did that for months at Churchill's Tavern in Miami while taping the shows for a live album (I still have the 4-track tapes). As I look at it, both the White Stripes and The Black Keys ripped us off.

BIG ED likes this.
  13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:wtf: Serioulsy?!?

14. pcerio

pcerio New Member

That's the silliest **** I've read on here yet

eddiel likes this.
  15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Thank you kindly, sir. I aim to please. :tiphat:

16. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

...JW even did a cover of "Psycho Daisies" with the Hentchmen.... ;)

17. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I like both the Black Keys and Jack White, but White has the fire in his playing that the Keys don't quite get. As a blues guitarist (or blues rock if that what you want to call them) Jack is closer to the real deal. IMHO

18. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I listened to Elephant driving around in my car today, I am not impressed with Jack's guitar work.

geo50000 likes this.
  19. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

Firstly, I think Jack White's music is terribly boring. It's all style, no balls. He prefers sounding vintage over rocking his heart out, and for that I could never get into his music. I have no problem if you obsess over re-creating the sounds of the past, but if your music puts people to sleep, don't portray yourself as some savior to rock. If you play simple music, put some fire behind it!

What really disgusts me was that Mr. White was ok with having living legends record tribute songs to his terrible music when it is HE who should be paying tribute to them. Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute To Jack White features Big Jay McNeely, Wanda Jackson and Gary US Bonds....are you serious?? This guy is OK with having these living legends playing his songs in tribute to himself???

Next strike against him was that he bought United Record Pressing. I used to get my records pressed there all the time. Now that he owns it, NO ONE can get records pressed there anymore in a timely fashion....

20. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

never heard this before, are you sure?

21. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

It's not official but yes...he is the money man at URP
    http://aboutvinylrecords.com/

22. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

I love the White Stripes, but I guess it comes down to contrivance. At least in my view, The Black Keys are much more contrive than Jack White/Stripes -- although, there is no shortage of contrivance on his part, he just plays the whole game a bit better and his music is better by far.

23. SEV

SEV Forum Resident

Your link didn't have any info related to this.
    He didn't buy it and he doesn't own it.
    Where are you getting this? He may be one of their best customers,
    but I doubt they have or need a money man.

24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I may be in the minority, but I love Jack White AND The Black Keys.

25. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

What business does Jack White have being included with Jimmy Page on "It Might Get Loud"? The "Edge" should not have been there either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.