George Harrison - The Apple Years box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Ah - looks like that came from Beatles Monthly. Yes, more precise information has been unearthed.

I don't think there are any that haven't been circulated except for 'Sour Milk Sea'. The tracks appearing on Through Many Years appear to have been cherry-picked from the 26th - they do not match the running order of any particular reel. The only true ATMP outtakes were 'I Live For You' and 'Gopala Krishna', both of which were tracked during the June sessions.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

2. Would these include Peter Tork's banjo parts? Had heard he is heard on the film but not album score.

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Get Back as well? Or is that from earlier?

4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

A collection like this would be a Major Event!

5. that's annoying. :confused:

6. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I like the term "mind-blowers" that @Wollensack used. We know from Dhani's (and others') past comments that there's all kinds of stuff in the Harrison archives that has never been released or bootlegged. I'm really hoping to hear a few songs that no one outside of family knew even existed.

dbacon, DmitriKaramazov and theMess like this.
  7. lennonology

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. lennonology

Sorry for the false start, that's what happens when I try to work from memory. There was a single take of 'Sour Milk Sea', it was the last thing recorded on May 26th, 1970.

The All Things Must Pass tracks on Through Many Years originate from several sessions:

- I Live For You - Take 32 from June 10 with June 11th, 1970 pedal steel overdub
    - Derra Derra Doon - Take 2 from May 26th, 1970
    - Gopala Krishna - Take 3 from June 24th with August 9th, 1970 guitar overdub
    - Going Down To Golders Green - Take 3 with acoustic guitar overdub, both recorded May 26th, 1970
    - Get Back - July 1st, 1970 (this was the only take)
    - Talking Steel Guitar - June 11th, 1970 (there was only the one take)

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

9. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

"On the 26th, he filled four reels with 19 songs (3 were repeated). He taped yet another 15 songs (2 reels worth) on the 27th none of which were repeats from the day before.

The 'Beware of ABKCO' tape originates from the 27th and represents everything on reels E097542 and E097543"

Wow Chip that's really fascinating. Do you what 16 songs were done on the 26th that were all different to what we have on the Beware of Abkco " set? Will that info be published sometime or are you able to clarify? We have some tracks but not 16 from the 26th. My mind boggles with wonder and delight to know this is true.

10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Strange person of oddity I am, Wonderwall is probably my second or third favorite album of George's. It's such a strange but fascinating mixture of Indian music, pop music, psych, and...stuff... that it still really interests me after all these years.

On a related topic, has anyone here watched the movie ? I haven't, but must put it on my "to do" list.

scocs, JimC, Jerry Horne and 3 others like this.
  11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

And I heard that Macca, Dave Grohl and Sean Lennon have completely re recorded All Things Must Pass and Danger Mouse has remixed Extra Texture.

12. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I have seen it many times and own the DVD (can't get myself to buy the Blu-Ray yet). Harrison's music makes and saves the entire flick. Definitely a time piece but a fascinating one.

forthlin and Naughty Chord like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Thanks. Because I love the music so much, I don't really have an excuse why I haven't bought or at least watched the movie. The few clips of the movie I've seen look so of their time and odd that it's probably right up my alley , but then again, I like the Magical Mystery Tour movie also, and many Fab Four fans hate it.:D

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I am so in for those. Have you heard when they are going to be released?

15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I'd echo that. It's definitely a time piece, but a fascinating one. Odd as you say you are, Glenn, ;) I won't predict whether you'll get into the film. My own experience when I watched it some years ago was mostly marveling at how weirdly the sex and generational divides were represented, as if these divides were the completely expected and natural divides: naturally nice girls and groovy boys have sex after exchanging a few sentences, naturally the repressed older generation has no way of comprehending the freer sexual mores now swinging around London... Nice 60s color, though, good music, and Jane Birkin is always welcome.

theMess likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Swingin'.:D Must see.

theMess likes this.
  17. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

This is really exciting!

It is about time George gets back in the posthumous spotlight again. We've had plenty of Lennon releases and re-releases, so bring this on! I'm sure the set will be a beauty in design and packaging.

theMess likes this.
  18. Calico

Calico Senior Member

There's a short banjo instrumental here at 3:40:

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Actually sounds like a couple of interesting projects when you think about it :D

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

Chip, any idea if some of the 'Early Takes' demos also come from the 26th? Specifically All Things Must Pass, My Sweet Lord and Awaiting On You All? Instrumentally they sound quite similar to Dehra Dun and Golders Green.

theMess likes this.
  21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Peter Tork? I believe he played banjo at the Wonderwall sessions.

22. lennonology

OK, you'll now see that I can't count. He did fifteen different songs on the 26th - it should be 19 songs and 4 were repeated - that's what happens when I get in a rush. Here's how the first (demo) session went down. Variations in the song titles from the commercial release have not been adjusted.

May 26th, 1970 - E.M.I. Studio Three
    1. All Things Must Pass (2 takes)
    2. Behind That Locked Door
    3. Dera Dera Doon
    4. I Live For You
    5. Apple Scruffs

6. What Is My Life (3 takes plus guitar and vocal overdubs)
    7. Awaiting For You All
    8. Isn't It A Pity (2 takes)
    9. I'll Have You Anytime

10. I Dig Love
    11. Going Down To Golders Green (3 takes plus acoustic guitar overdub)
    - Behind That Locked Door (take 2)
    - All Things Must Pass (take 3)
    - Derra Derra Doon (take 2)
    12. Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna)

13. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (2 takes)
    14. My Sweet Lord
    - Apple Scruffs (takes 2-4)
    15. Sour Milk Sea

As for the source of the tracks on Early Takes Vol. 1, I'll have to spend some time with those. Additional information will be included from time to time on the Facebook page for the new book - so head on over and please make sure to "like" the page if you haven't already.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com
    www.facebook.com/lennonology

forthlin, Wollensack, wayne66 and 8 others like this.
  23. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I never knew he revisited Sour Milk Sea...too bad someone couldn't drop it into the Ooped Jackie Lomax track like several Cheatleggers did with the weak sounding Kinfauns recording.
    Wasn't there also a George guide vocal on the Lomax recording?

theMess likes this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks Chip. The three Early Takes tracks I mentioned (MSL, ATMP, AOYA) are present here too, so I suspect they may come from this session, and the 3-piece instrumentation seems consistent with the booted Dehra Dun and Golders Green too (George, Ringo & Klaus?).

The ET Behind That Locked Door though sounds to me like a full band, but with most of the band mixed out for ET (it seems to have leakage of that on the track), which makes me think that may be from the later, proper sessions.

theMess likes this.
  25. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

There are 6cd bootleg sets that circulate with all the ATMP outtakes so there's plenty out there. There's also an album called Living In The Alternate World with a whole set of outtakes from that album.

theMess and JimC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.