"The Making of Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey" (TASCHEN book)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What happened? :)

I think the book that affected me even more was The Making of Star Trek, which came out a couple of years before the Kubrick book (1967). That was the first time I realized as a little kid (12-13) how many people worked on a show, how the writers worked, the prop department, the lighting crew, the cinematographer, the director, and so on. Very important book. I think author Stephen Whitfield wound up making a million bucks on it, since I think the book went into 40 or 50 printings, which is very unusual for a book like this. But 2001 absolutely knocked me out as a kid -- I think I've seen it at least four or five times in the theater.

williamjoel likes this.
  2. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I've never read (or even seen a copy of) the Agel book. The one I have (which I think is pretty decent) is Piers Bizony's 2001: Filming The Future. That Taschen book looks pretty damn nice though.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, painful, Vidiot, painful. I ask myself that same question every day. :shake:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Vidiot likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh cool! My copy was stolen (by a film director, no less). What is the password for that PDF. I downloaded it but its locked.

5. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

LOVE that one too, and it was only 95¢!

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

THAT's the book, and the original cover that I remember. I just about had a heart attack when I saw it at the newsstand -- I had no idea it was even coming out. Very eye-opening book for me; I probably read it 10 or 15 times.

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Book only is sold out. The versions with prints are still available but not for long.

8. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I know - tempted now.. Anyone get the standard edition?

9. Jerry Horne

I canceled my order once I found out the vertical nature of the book with many photos spread between two pages. I'll get the cheap version.

10. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Barnes and Noble is selling it for the original price. Although they charge taxes in the US. I had mine on order through Taschen. Then I cancelled due to second thoughts. When I saW it was then going for $1,000. I ordered through B&N for $802. Remember that these first edition Taschen books are highly collectible.

11. Jerry Horne

I know. I had two on pre-order! Then I took my family to Disneyland on short notice. You can spend that in a day down there...

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

It's now $1000 at B&N as well.

13. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Arrived... Will digest over the weekend... it is a complete beast...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SBurke and IronWaffle like this.
  14. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

15. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

16. Jerry Horne

Yep, I should have kept my order. Oh well. Lots to buy this year :)

17. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crispi and IronWaffle like this.
  18. strangelove

strangelove Forum Resident

Anyone know if this is still available through Barnes and Noble? I can't find it on their web page?

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I love Taschen books -- would really like to see this in a less-expensive edition.

Great pics above, thanks guys.

20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Looks like it's been removed from the website - the last time I saw it there, it was easily findable via their search tool. They must've sold out of their allotment from Taschen.

21. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

:( mine was cancelled from b&n due to inventory being depleted

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If your SH.TV starter campaign is successful I may run one. If I spend $1000 on anything soon it will be a headphone amp and maybe a stereo upgrade for my daughter.

23. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I picked up a gently used copy of this off of amazon recently. There is an amazing wealth of information here, as well as the photos, sketches, artwork, etc. The format, as others have commented, is a bit clumsy but it doesn't bother me. I like the uniqueness of the concept, so what if I have to fold out the pages?

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Who designs the formats for these types of books/boxes/collections?
    It may be artsy fartsy, but a book of that shape does a disservice to the information that is included.
    A normal or large format book would present the info and photos so much better. Of course, the box it comes in would have to be different too, but for $750 I think they could afford a bit more cardboard for the box.

I felt the same about the Beatles 1+ package. Doesn't fit with the CD's, doesn't fit with standard DVDs and doesn't match either the box set of Help! or MMT, but at least those two had full sized books that were separate from the box itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.