Bands that changed their name after being established

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elaterium, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

Might be the solar flares.

Nostaljack likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you know the answer to that question. :shh:

Laziness or not, it always astonishes me that someone can come late to a long thread and still believe that their obvious answer hasn't been offered yet... :wtf:

3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention -> The Mothers Of Invention -> The Mothers or Zappa/Mothers.
    Around 1975 Zappa just dropped the monnicker altogether.

Keith Richards -> Keith Richard -> Keith Richards ;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. Have you seen the stars tonight?

She is anyway likes this.
  5. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

It's 9:20 AM. If only I believed in miracles. :)

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The New Yardbirds -> Led Zeppelin -> The Nobs, on February 28th, 1970 -> Led Zeppelin ;)

The Alan Parsons Project -> Freudiana

Hotlegs -> 10cc

The Stooges -> Iggy & The Stooges
    Whether they could be considered 'established' with selling next to zilch at that point is debatable.

Alice Cooper is notable because it's purpose changed after the band itself quit. Quite an oddity, in any way.

7. django68

django68 Forum Resident

The Specials: As The Special A.K.A on their debut Gangsters and later on their Too Much Too Young EP. A later version of the band also used the A.K.A moniker.

The (Wailing~) Wailers became Bob Marley & The Wailers on certain 60s singles released in Jamaica, long before the change from Natty Dread in the mid-70s (and the re-pressed Catch A Fire LP)

Elvis Costello was the Imposter.

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It lasted for two albums, Pin-Ups and Diamond Dogs.
    It pretty much had to do with an identity crisis that originated from his increasingly erratic behaviour at the time (drugs). He was into 'killing Ziggy'-mode.

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It is so sad when a thread gets so big that people can't be bothered to read earlier replies.

I really liked coming to this thread to read all the different groups, sadly it seemed like there was only about five. ;)

crispi and GodShifter like this.
  10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

My choices probably got mentioned before, but I simply haven't got time to read through 13 pages in a go.

It's funny, however, that Prince just seems to be mentioned because of his namechange to thingy.
    As an artist, songwriter or producer he changed his name/used an alter ego more than everyday people change their underwear. Just a handful: TAFKAP (The Artist Formerly Known As Prince), Carmen, Christopher, Joey Coco, you name it!

11. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The Originals --> The Lovely Lads --> Skaface --> The Thamsmen --> Spinal Tap

12. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Single Frame Ashtray > Single Frame
    12 Caesars > Caesars Palace > Caesars

13. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

down with humour

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The Beatles --> Klaatu

SoporJoe likes this.
  15. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Would these count because the line-up changes were the same for the last and first of these albums

The Move > Electric Light Orchestra
    Collectors > Chilliwack

16. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Actually, Small Faces were so named because all the members (except Jimmy Winston, who was booted out early on) were SMALL. Stewart and Wood are NOT short little guys, so the name was logically changed to Faces. None of the others (Mac, Ronnie, and Kenney) were interested in continuing to use the name Small Faces either.

17. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

No, Hour Glass and Allman Brothers Band were two separate bands. True, Hour Glass had Gregg Allman and Duane Allman, but the brothers had been in other bands together as well before forming the Allman Brothers Band.

18. falc0nwhit

falc0nwhit Forum Resident

The Sons of Champlin -> The Sons

19. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Not just the Rother factor either - in most cases the only thing in common is Klaus Dinger but then as well, La Neu was a Klaus Dinger project, 1-A D. was a Thomas Dinger project. They're all different bands.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

It probably also doesn't help that Klaus slapped the "La! Neu?" name on whatever he felt like, even if it was a release from another band altogether. :p

DesertChaos likes this.
  21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Yeah, it got a little confusing. It was part of his concept at the time, a blanket name for his little "commune" of musicians. IIRC, the only one that he wasn't actually on was the "Die With Dignity" record, and the main person behind that album was a friend of his and had been doing the Dingerland website (very nice fellow too, a doctor by trade I believe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.