Vinyl Record Collecting Slump. Anyone in one?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lately I've been walking out of shops with a record or two or nothing. There is either slim pickings or what I find that I do want either isn't a pressing I want (I.e -PR instead -MO matrix for Atlantic Records pressings or reissues over original pressing or US instead of UK pressings or it is in too poor of condition.) Am I being too picky or am I just in a slump? Anyone else in one?

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I see it more as a bit of slim pickings and choosing wisely. I've come across a lot of records I wouldn't mind having, but then come to realize that I may not listen to them and just store them. I don't have much room anyway, so it'd be unwise to just get whatever.

davers, TLMusic, Brudy and 3 others like this.
  3. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

It comes and goes. One day I find nothing, the next I find gold. Finding gold is happening less and less than a few years back. Rare goods are getting bought up quick. You almost have to be in front on the new release bins at the right time.

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

As my collection grows I have fewer holes and look more for specific pressings so it becomes tougher to find things. Thanks to SHTV I've become more knowledgeable about what to look for too. That said I still find neat stuff like the Monarch CCC Led Zeppelin I.

ruben lopez, kozy814 and Mark Nelson like this.
  5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I'm trying not to spend much money on records these days, so I've been EXTREMELY selective about what I buy. I went through a few bins last weekend and came across a few titles that I normally would've snatched up, but I found myself looking for reasons not to buy them. All justified, of course, but a few months ago I would've walked away with them.

kinkling likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm in a music collecting slump, because I have no disposable income. Ah well, more time to listen to all the stuff I already have.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yes! I had a job a few years back that was across the street from a great record store, and I'd often be there at opening so I got first dibs on the new arrivals for the day. I found a ton of great stuff.

8. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

But this thing is, the bands and singers I'm looking for aren't the ones that everyone looks for when they walk into the record store. Everyone pretty much looks for the same big Rock bands so those selections always have slim pickings. Mine were big sellers just not as in demand today and should be the store but not. I hardly ever come across Byrds' records for example. Some Byrds albums I never even held in my hand before and they were big sellers. Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn! Turn! Turn! , Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde for example I never see. Are they more in demand than I think?

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  9. My parameters have certainly changed over the last 25 years, and as someone said earlier, slim pickings and I will add outrageous prices. Especially for 80's pop classics that sold trillions. 12.00 for a Near Mint "Sports", ok, I can see that now, but, man, I don't want to pay that much for it.

I used to be really big on first pressings and NM or bust. Losing those after the first divorce over 10 years ago got me over that (I ended up selling those and a large chunk of my CD's for cash), I find myself still ordering NM, VG++, and VG+ through E-Bay or mail order, I'm more lenient when shopping in used record stores. My shelves are a nice mix of exquisite and VG, VG+ and I don't mind. Now that being said, I have very nice equipment, and will not go for trash or anything suspect to put on, but, I'm not the grading snoot I used to be.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I don't know if it's a "slump" or not as I have bought a number of great new vinyl, just no longer taking home piles of used from the thrift. I always figured than if I brought home 20 from the thrift and spent an evening going through them, it was worth the $20 in entertainment, and sometimes you get a jewel. I'm trying to stay away from used unless I come across something stellar. Really got to thin the pile as I just have NO more room!!! Until I cull another 250 or so I'm trying to behave.

I agree to a point. The big classic rock titles from the 70's are easy, but I agree that the 65-69 era seems to be the toughest to locate good stuff.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've been in a slump all summer. No time to get out there.....

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

On the question of picky, I'll confess to utterly not caring about which pressing plant manufactured the vintage albums I buy. Getting a Monarch pressing or whatever seems like the merest wisp of an audibly significant asset compared with truly important matters of condition and playability — and talk about crippling your chances for scoring a find in the bins! The tulipomania for MO initials in particular seems mostly good for forum bragging rights and resales in this site's marketplace.

crispi, sfaxa, Mikey679 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I hear ya bud..... I LOVE ANALOGUE AND CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT :)

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Albums that used to be $18-22 a few years ago (Sundazed reissues especially) are now $25 and up, just to gouge consumers while the trend is hot. And none of the shops in Nashville have a remotely interesting used selection anymore, so I've really, really slowed down. Picked up the new Manic Street Preachers on ebay and have a Beatles mono set on order, but really held off on most other things.

Satchidananda likes this.
  15. Hi, I am a dealer, and a reputable one, as well. Believe me, the dealers don't like the hikes either, and we make so little on margin trying to keep the prices down not only to compete, but to give the customers affordable value. I am a collector as well, and I hate these current prices not only for myself, but for the customers as well.

16. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

@OP: are you referring only to used stuff? because I've been buying new stuff like a mad man

Technocentral likes this.
  17. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I've been buying a lot more from sellers here then in stores. That said, I've found some pretty amazing stuff the past few months locally.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I've got Turn Turn Turn and Mr. Tambourine Man from my parents collection, but I doubt they are in a condition that a collector would want. Perhaps that's the issue, they were popular and therefore worn out.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can imagine. But it's getting ridiculous. I don't think the process for actually pressing the LP's has gotten any more expensive (especially for things like Sundazed where the masters/stampers already exist). Go back to $18-19 like they were a few years ago and I'd be buying so much more stuff.

Satchidananda likes this.
  20. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I'm in one as we speak.

Trying to save my money for the upcoming Beatles mono vinyl box and trying to ignore tempting items coming my way in the meantime.

21. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Yes, but not for the reasons expressed by the original poster. For us it's somewhat self-imposed and only because the weather is too nice for us to sit inside. During the nice months we spend most of our evenings (times we'd normally be spinning records) outside watching birds and enjoying nature.
    Happens every year. As soon as the leaves begin to turn we'll be back to buying and playing records.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I was waiting for a store to open the other day and there was someone behind me.. Just as I got in (first) the dude behind ran immediately to the Beatles vinyl section saliva dripping ....didn't find anything though. :)

Ash76 likes this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

For me, it's slim pickings for used stuff i'm interested in. For new stuff, there's NO pickings at all.

24. Agreed, and there is a softening just for that reason. The price hikes are not good for sustainability of the fad, or the endurance of the traditional purchaser that has been at it for years.

25. GRC

GRC Senior Member

Yes -- Unfortunately for me it's a financial thing and escalating vinyl prices - and a kid in college. As others - I want to put funds aside for the Beatles mono box. Luckily I have a collection big enough to keep my ears busy. I am getting more and more picky with choosing what to buy.

Blue Cactus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.