Deja vu - Why never remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BJEvS, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The HDCD decoding is typically done through a secondary DAC, often of lesser quality than the players main DAC.

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

uh, here, reading this thread!

RIMSHOT!

I'm here every night!

JuanTCB, forthlin and Grissongs like this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Box set alternate mix:

Funny, I never noticed this before, but now that you mentioned it, it sticks out like a sore thumb whenever I hear it.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This came up in another thread recently (probably the '74 live set thread). The article states that Nash wants to re-record the album. Is that really his plan or does he want to reissue the original recording without the fades?

If they actually re-record the album, I'd like to see it in a box set with the original album recording remastered well on CD and in hi-rez.

6. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

TERRIBLE IDEA. Ugh. Leave greatness alone.

Now if Graham wanted to go back and EXPAND "Deja Vu" - go to the original tracks and open them up again. Don't fade out, let the solos play on, etc. And add to the release with outtakes, live cuts from the era, and any other songs that didn't make the album, etc. Do a cool box set. AND then, if you want to re-record it, add it as a bonus disc to the set.

MarkO likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He's not.

"I thought to myself, 'I'd like to hear 'Carry On' without it fading.' I want it to go all the way to the end when Dallas [Taylor] put his drumsticks down. I want to hear the jam we did at the end of 'Everybody I Love You.' I might talk to the boys about doing the entire Deja Vu without fading any of the songs."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/crosby-stills-nash-young-may-release-deja-vu-box-set-20140626

The "re-record" comment is just poor journalism. "redoing" = remix.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so what does everyone want or think will be included if they do this expanded DEJA VU release? we already heard 1 track without the fadeout "almost cut my hair" on the CSN boxset so that will be there. my guess they put "horses through a rainstorm" and the "ohio"/"find the cost of freedom" single on it. hopefully we can get "ivory tower" released

wayne66 likes this.
  9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I have seen that CSNY studio 1969 boot out there. That is 70-80 minutes of music that CSNY did. I assume that most of that is Deja Vu era music. I have heard over the weekend on Youtube, studio versions of Sea of Madness and Everybody's Alone (Neil songs) done by the group. I thought they were really good. I am wondering why that material has not been officially released. I think that a Deja Vu expanded release could easily be 2-3 cds total. Expanded Deja Vu and the Human Highway sessions are my holy grail of CSNY. Crossing my fingers.

10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Quark1134 and davers like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just went back to my original issued US CD and compared it to the US remaster and the Japanese remaster....I still like this best!

12. Matthew Tate

i don't think neil will let any unreleased material he wrote appear on it.

13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I am hopeful that like CSNY Live 1974, we will eventually see the Deja Vu box set. It may take quite awhile, but I think it will happen. Graham Nash now seems to have Deja Vu on his radar. Hopefully Neil was happy with Graham's work on Live 1974 and he will let Graham take the lead on the Deja Vu sessions( as well as Human Highway). :wave:

14. Matthew Tate

i wish nash would also release his new solo album. i think in the last 3 years he has performed 6 new solo songs live

wayne66 likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'burning for the buddah" is killer.

'back home' with it's fade out channeling 'the weight' is also very good.

not a fan of 'here for you", too syrupy for me, although nash's syrupy songs do tend to grow on me.

i do believe that between the 3 of them they easily could have put out an album (or 2) of new material in the last 5 years or so, but they are supposedly going back to the studio to finish the covers record they started 3 years ago and gave up on because crosby and rick rubin got into a fight.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

just to get it on cd at a reasonable price they should include the special REPLAY mix of "carry on" with the "questions " coda knocked off as a bonus track

17. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

well all i can tell u is when u A/B the wlp vinyl with that 1st press cd, its NIGHT & DAY. the cd sounds "dcc" quality on that that carry on intro compared to the wlp vinyl....the cd vers i have is the pdo pressed made in west germany version

18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i don't see why not. i think the reason why his songs don't appear on the old CSN box was because he was saving them for the archives. with volume 1 out, i'm sure the songs that he did during the 'deja vu' era could be put onto a box.

wayne66 likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

this might also be true

qtrules likes this.
  20. Ern

Ern Senior Member

So what songs recorded during de Deja Vu sessions were not included on the Album?

So Begins the Task (Stills Demo)
    Sea Of Madness
    Everybody's Alone
    Horses Through A Rainstorm

Any more?

21. Matthew Tate

Ivory tower

22. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I would love for Steve to remaster this for AF. Would look lovely sitting next to my 'couch' Gold CD.

Quark1134 and zen like this.
  23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm listening to my Classic Records copy this morning. I've always enjoyed it.

24. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I forgot 'The Lee Shore'.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

:agree::thumbsup:

:tsk: ...wink-wink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.