Poll . Cost of your system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Which has been used several times in this thread (read back); that style seems to engender just as much animosity in response as the more direct approach...

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

If we take a more practical example; is it ok for people to feel that a RegaRP6 is good enough for listening to records? Or must we have a better TT for that? Can it be so that some feel an RP1 is good enough?
    If some feel that an RP6 is not really good enough, is that very interesting for those who think it is?

3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Its not hard to spend a ton ... Its also much easier to find something fantastic at a reasonable price. I have one system with all McIntosh components(2 power amps, 1 preamp, CD/DVD player and Tuner), VPI Aires turntable, all Nordost Heimdall 2 cabling, Nordost power conditioning and powerr cables (with a smattering of Cardas). Speakers are Sonus Faber and Infinity. I have 2 J&L subs. All in nearly $80k

4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

It's fun how whenever I feel like I'm developing a misplaced faith in humanity I can come back to this thread for a fast cure.

Buff Terror likes this.
  5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

This continues to baffle me. Why is that when a number of regular participants in this forum simply ask for their opinions to be accorded the usual respect on matters that 1) They care a lot about and 2) They know a lot about, others here accuse the first group of being arrogant and uncaring?

6. jimbutsu

I see it happen both ways on a pretty frequent basis- hope you don't think I was singling out one side or another.

DaveC113 likes this.
  7. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

This is turning into a argument that makes no sense anymore, neither side seems interested in actually hearing the meaning behind the words and both sides are more or less correct. Let me summarize:

- If you spend more money it is possible to improve your system.

- You can enjoy the system you currently have no matter where it is in it's development.

jh901, jimbutsu and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Good point. We all need to stop listening to each other and start listening to each others systems.

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I'd say 1000- 10,000 is a wee bit too broad.

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

What I personally mean and am trying to say is; if you are a person that is constantly thinking of upgrading and more or less never content, that is one type of audiophile. If you are a person that is more content with something you like and think it´s good enough to be able to enjoy the music, without thinking of upgrading, that is another type of audiophile. Between these types of views exists many other types, very likely.
    I just don´t see that we should be in a certain way, because we aren´t and we won´t be, ever.

Without any doubt, both objectively and subjectively, there are components that sound better than other, and if that matters much to us we might look into this more when choosing, if it for different reasons matters less we might more choose what we buy for looks, and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Personally I have choosen Accuphase components. Is there any need whatsoever thinking of looking into better ones, nah I don´t think so and it doesn´t interest me, I find them good enough for my needs. If someone else think they like Krell, or maybe Bryston, better that is OK for that person.

timind and Tim 2 like this.
  11. I have a friend who has a complete vintage audio setup, and it sounds awesome. He paid less than $1,500 for the whole 2Ch rig. Does it sound as good as my system? No, it doesn't, but I love his system nonetheless. His primary focus is to listen to the music for the music, not the sound delivery so much. And you what, I really respect that.

I don't know if it really has anything to do with the above, but I wanted to sahre it anyway.

sami and Tim 2 like this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think that's because it's been said that anything $10,000 or under is basically an entry-level system that barely scratches the surface so that's why that whole price range is just lumped together.

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah, let's focus on turning on each other rather than discussing our hobby in a civil manner. We definitely want to form cliques and vilify all others.

It is a fact that reproduced sound only gets better and better as the monetary investment increases. It has been my experience, when looking back at $10,000 and then $15,000 followed by $20,000 and so on, that reaching that first entry level plateau was merely the tip of the ice berg. Why is this realization so offensive? Why is it necessary to need to be told that everyone has an equally great system when that is a falsehood? Why is it that those who can't hear much difference in lossy versus SACD can't be told that as their system gets better that they'll begin to hear a much bigger difference?

A very well thought out $2,500 system barely scratches the surface, but the listening experience should be quite enjoyable. Nearly anyone getting into this hobby starts at the bottom. I did. Had I told myself that when I reach $5,000 that there's no room for improvement then I'd be missing out on 90% of what's possible. Gee, maybe I should demand to be told that my current system is the equal of any others costing $50, $80 or $125 grand?!

Honestly, I don't understand where all of this anger is coming from.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't know where the anger comes from either. Was my post written in an angry manner or was it just a straight answer to the question?

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. jimbutsu

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

$2500 for speakers{waited for them to be on sale}, receiver{refurb}and a oppo. My sub was a scratched so I got it discounted also.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I think it is important to have your system evolve up rather than starting with a mega buck system. You learn what spending more can get you. Sometimes you learn that not every upgrade is an upgrade. As your system gets better component synergy becomes more important.

Linger63, Johnny Vinyl, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Sure. I'm going to tell my wife that I'm just spending 9-grand on my new "entry-level" system that "barely scratches the surface". :winkgrin:

My ears just aren't worth that much and they never will be.

I'm proud of the fact that by buying second-hand and some smart shopping, I was able to put together what I'd consider an "entry-level" system for less than a grand. And to these ears, it sounds pretty damn good.

What's funny is my neighbors, friends and relatives (you know, regular people) actually think it's a real nice system.

RSharpe, timind, sami and 2 others like this.
  19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

By this time it should be clear we are talking about MSRP cost of our systems, not what we paid for them. Few if any of us have paid the MSRP or even very close to it.

20. shokhead

I was going by the title of this thread, Cost of your system. The cost is what I paid.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A lot more than I would ever admit to she who must be obeyed:cheers:

22. shokhead

I hear that.

23. Tim 2

And if you look at my following line , " the money the've invested ".

24. Tim 2

Tell the wife ? must be newlyweds.

25. jimbutsu

Wait a minute, what are you even doing in here? No one's talking about football...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.