Is there anybody around we could truly call a musical genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

There are a whole bunch of musical geniuses. Elvis was a musical genius.

2. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Robert Johnson
    Hank Williams Sr
    Chuck Berry
    Jimi Hendrix
    Townes Van Zandt
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Bob Marley
    Louis Armstrong

3. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

George Gershwin

TyphoonTip likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No surefire candidates alive today in my opinion. Maybe Steve Reich or Arvo Part.

In rock/pop the best I can come up with are Prince, David Byrne and one or more members of Radiohead.

If we can include lyric writing within the ambit of music, then I would nominate Stephen Sondheim. The best lyricist Broadway has ever seen and one of the best composers. And one who redefined what a musical can be.

David Ellis likes this.
  5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Jaco Pastorius. Self proclaimed best bass player in the world.

6. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

I think the term "musical genius" is a misnomer.
    Should be "musical conduit".

Robin L and ggergm like this.
  7. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Yeah,but wasn't Roky an Alien?
    That puts him in a different category :bdance:

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

"Around" means alive to me, so I'm going to throw in a vote for Christian Vander.

9. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Alien Genius.

10. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

What happened to his voice?
    Your post reminded me that it's been a longtime since I listened to him.
    On his 2011 album "Heaven on Earth" his voice is really different.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Tommy Bolin

ky658 likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Perhaps there was no drug war at the time. But and in any case, Beethoven ain't exactly the most "Together" man in the history of Music, if you know much about his troubled life.

Joe071 likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

File with Sun Ra.

ruben lopez likes this.
  14. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Weird Al Yankovic – yeah, I said it.
    He’s a musical genius because of the way he has mastered the art of musical parody, along with writing/performing fun & clever originals. And he has kept it going for decades!

Robin L, Ash76 and Dee Zee like this.
  15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I'm the opposite: why be so restrictive with denoting someone a genius? Surely there are degrees of genius and, okay, I won't argue with Bach at the top of the heap. But surely too, there are others who have some freak, intuitive grasp of musical logic and language that immeasurably exceeds what the rest of us could manage even with years of attention and training. And I see that all over the place. Isn't that genius? I think so. Again, I don't see the payoff for being so restrictive with declarations of genius. Calling contemporary artist X or Y a genius is to recognize that, at least in some restrictive context, they have some truly extraordinary ability that awes the rest of us (it's not to say they might not also be flakey or flawed in other aspects of their lives, ahem...).

Robin L and David Ellis like this.
  16. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

As many here have already stated, genius is very difficult to apply to members of a band. Strawberry Fields Forever is most definitely a work of genius. Where's that leave the guys that made it? Frankly I'm not really sure.

Also on the whole "classical is a higher form of art" that I've read a few times here, I must respectfully disagree. Definitely more complex, it requires much, much more training, which all of the greats that we know today received from a young age. Simple does not equate to easy. Van Gogh's works were not nearly as complex as Michelangelo's, yet they are every bit as brilliant. Just try and write The Times They Are a-Changin'. I dare ya.

17. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I'd say these three chaps:

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Gasman1003 likes this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The guy in the middle doesn't want to deal with the guy on his left and the guy on his right doesn't have time for either one of the other two.

Joe071 likes this.
  19. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

He changed his vocal style consistently, in an attempt to use it slims like another instrument - genius??
    In addition, ill health and ultimately death didn't 't help:mad:

ps, this is a great thread!

Larry Mc likes this.
  20. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now, that's what I call the spirit of improvisation. They just need a seasoned bass player to round out the band. I think this dude might fit the bill:
    [​IMG]

Robin L and Gasman1003 like this.
  21. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

A difficult label to pin on anyone, that's for sure, but one name that always comes to mind when I hear someone say "musical genius" is Jason Falkner. That guy has made some of the most interesting guitar pop music of the last 20 years, and is criminally unknown to most people.

(As an aside, I'm always curious how that guy earns a living. He plays very few shows in his local area, never tours, releases new music sporadically at best and none of his releases are big-ticket royalty earners... as far as I am aware he doesn't have a "day job," and while he does play on other peoples' albums from time to time and occasionally produce here and there, it can't possibly be enough to live comfortably on. It's a mystery... to me anyway!)

22. Kanye West. Why? Just ask him, I'm sure he's not exaggerating or flaunting his ego.

23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

In my estimation, a musical genius is anyone who can make a living playing it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I'll go with Frank Zappa. And I'm not any more than a casual fan, and don't own many of his records. But the talent, intelligence, vision, and passion he put into his work is just unsurpassed in this era to me.
    The 'Classic Albums" video for Overnight Sensation shines a light on so much of what made him so special, though his music certainly doesn't ring true to everyone.

I think a lot of rock and rollers are viewed by many as just improvisational hacks rather than studied musicians, and I think many would be shocked to find evidence to the contrary.

This little clip is fascinating to me.

showtaper likes this.
  25. I think there are all sorts of geniuses including musical. Brian Wilson was the musical genius of the latter half of the 20th century IMO, but there have been many others including Hildegard von Bingen, Purcell, Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinski, Gershwin, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.