Your short list of most iconic audio products

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I agree. Love mine when I'm on a plane or in the pool

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I used to love mine

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

LP 12 with the Linn arm, Keel, and DC motor + control is over ten grand.

4. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I can't agree, it's insanely expensive in terms of price to build cost and it is in no way original as a design.

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

For me notable products have been:

Sony MDR-V6 headphones...still see them on tv.
    iPhone (my first was 3G)
    My first Sony ES CD Player (1993 Vintage)

Other products I never owned...that are iconic
    First lexicon home theater processor
    Martin Logan Electrostatics
    Bose wave radio

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Should one not consider sound quality as apposed to perceived built cost ?
    And how can one accurately judge built cost without being directly involved in it's production. Not being original simply means the've continued to evolve the player and likely with high development costs.

7. Tim 2

Yup, and it sounds almost as good as my SME at 1/4 the cost.

8. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I would very much enjoy a PERFECT MINT set of AR-3's. A like new Pioneer SX-1980 with back-up parts (just in case) would also be pretty cool. Both are actually obtainable for the right amount of money, however, so they don't keep me awake at night.

But I would pay nearly any sum for a like new set of Kenwood LS-990 speakers. My father purchased a set in 1978 and they were what introduced me to ROCK at very LOUD levels. I have a pristine set of JBL L100's (the speakers the 990's were designed to best), and while I like them very much, they are not THE dragon I seek to slay. I have my doubts that I'll ever locate a pair in the condition I require... but I keep looking.

9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Well, I've heard a lot of LP12s and owned a couple myself.

When set up just right it works pretty well. But it's not vastly better than anything else. The Gyrodec is a better table overall technically, but it is untraditional in appearance.

When not set up just right it's terrible.

And you have to learn to set it up. Unless you have full time tech staff you have to do this yourself it has to be done with some frequency and can't be moved without redoing it.

The Lingo is about twenty to fifty bucks worth of electronics and does not positively solve the speed issue. The ONLY way to do that is with a tonewheel on the DRIVEN member-i.e., the subplatter-and a sensor and circuit and Linn isn't going to do that.

I do appreciate the huge third party aftermarket of stuff for this table and that the Cirkus bearing is indeed well made. I'd also point out that for decades Linn plinths had a propensity to warp because they used green wood and that Linn's refusal to put out technical documentation to users is a deal breaker for many, including myself, in and of its own.

As far as judging build cost, it helps to have a manufacturing background. Mine is electronic as opposed to mechanical and most of a turntable is mechanical, but still I can see that the markup is extreme. The most expensive part is the bearing and Linn sell that as an upgrade for about $800.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The Lingo is old news, Linn have long since gone to a DC motor and controller, the "Radikal". It costs twice as much as the Lingo, four times as much if you get the "Machined From Solid" version.

11. Tim 2

Paid $2200 for mine ( used ) and sold it it a few years later for the same.

12. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Roland TB-303
    Technics 1200
    Pioneer DJM-600 mixer

13. LoveAcoustic

LoveAcoustic New Member

While there are are more refined systems .. I still have that appreciation for game changing products from these companies;
    SAE 2400L
    Acoustic Research AR-11's
    Thorens turntables
    Grado cartirdges+
    Bedini amps
    David Berning
    Snell Type A

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I had this very same Walkman!

15. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Thorens TD-126

16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Cosmetics can be redone by any competent wood finisher.

17. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

My criteria are products that either advanced the state of the art, and/or enabled the masses to enjoy meaningfully better sound in the home. All of the pieces can be used today with very few allowances for age.

Klipschorn First high end speaker in the modern sense of the term
    Altec VOT Brought the theater into the home
    McIntosh 50w-2 Basic Mac circuit and unique transformer that delivered true wideband response and high power. Subsiquent Macs are derivatives
    Williamson Amp High Fidelity for the masses
    Quad ESL Shockingly realistic reproduction
    Dynaco ST-70 Model "T" of tube amps
    AR3 Dome drivers, acoustic suspension box and the standard for 10yrs
    ADC-1 First modern stereo cartridge that delivered wide bandwith, low crosstalk and tracking at 1 gram
    HK Citation II Demonstrated benefits of ultra wide bandwith in amplifier design
    AR-XA The archetype of the sprung chassis TT. Thorens and Linn are derivatives of the basic AR design
    Fisher 500c First high end stereo receiver
    Shure V15 Demonstrated the need for standardized VTA and high compliance in cartridges
    HK Citation 11 Demonstrated that SS could sound good in the moden sense and showed what SS was capable of
    JBL L100 Brought the recording studio into the home
    Advent tape deck With the addition of Dolby NR, made the cassette into a viable home audio product
    Audio Research SP3a and D76 first modern Tube designs that reminded listeners of how much was lost in the changeover to SS
    Nackamichi 1000 Showed what cassette was capable of
    LS3/5a Professional monitor for the home
    Levinson Amp Pure Class A amp that opened ears (and eyes due to price)
    Infinity IRS Cost no object assault on SOTA
    Celestion SL6 Exotic cabinet materials and applied CAD in the drivers hidden inside a monitor sized box
    NAD 3020 Original- uncanny near high end sound at a bargin basement price- legend has it that a manufacturing quirk is responsible....

18. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Unfortunately, the Kenwood LS-990's have a synthetic / leather-like material on the top and sides, and finished birch (IIRC) backs. Almost impossible to refinish these particular beasts, unfortunately.

But some old retired military guy (like my father) has a set in the original boxes stored in his attic somewhere out there :) I just need to find him!

19. arley

arley Forum Resident

I'm still spinning vinyl on this setup:

Linn Sondek LP12
    Infinity Black Widow tone arm

and playing them through two versions of Dynaco ST70: one is the GSI mod made by Andy Fuchs in the 80's and the other is one I made from a kit from Tubes4hifi.com

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I'd probably put the B&W Matrix 800s on the list too.

[​IMG]

thomas bae and Tim 2 like this.
  21. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Hi Guys,

Question for all you vintage guys out there. I am considering getting a vintage system. My budget is not too large, but after researching I came up with the options below. Do you guys think this would allow for a system that would work well together? I definitely want crisp, clear sound that is powerful yet with that old vintage sound you just can't replicate. Curious what people's thoughts are or if there are suggestions in this price range that would work better.

Fisher 500-C tube preamp
    Dynaco St-70 tube power amp
    Thorens TD 160 with SME arm and possible Rega cartridge
    Large Advent speakers

And I could still hook up this system to an Oppo BDP-105 to watch movies and play CD's with the sound coming through the system, correct? That's quite a noob question, but I'm not a big tech / spec guy!

Thanks in advance!

22. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

23. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The first Mc tube amps were of the same principle, but used a more complex circuit with a driver transformer and were not as clean as later ones. So subsequent Mc amps are not merely derivative: but all the chrome top ones have a circuit that's identical from the 30, 40, 60, 75 and 225 excepting only the last part before the tubes on the 225 and the 75.

The Williamson was a design, or rather two designs, and not a production unit. Depending on how strictly you use the word "faithful", faithful ones are actually rare in the US and not all that common in England even: all sorts of variations are called Williamsons that had nothing to do with the original.

24. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  25. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

The Clairtone....always wanted one, couldn't afford it. Sigh!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.