My receiver got zapped by a power outage and now there's no sound.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ACK!, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

Is there anything I can do to see if it's revivable or do I just need to get something new?

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

First thing to check is whether any fuses have blown. Even if none are accessible on the back panel there may be some inside the unit. UNPLUG FIRST.

Thurenity, Gary and Ntotrar like this.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Power outage due to a lightning strike?

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If it's not a fuse or a reset on the back or on a power strip, try keeping it unplugged for a few days. If it's modern and has a lot of IC's and stuff there may be a static build up.

I had this happen to a TV. After it sat for a few days it was fine again.

jeffrey walsh and DaleH like this.
  5. ACK!

I'm gonna try that and the fuse thing if that doesn't pan out. Thanks for the help, guys!

6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Some of the power conditioners and surge protectors offer warranty protection on the equipment attached to then. You may wish to check the status of yours.

ACK! likes this.
  7. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Power OUTAGE usually doesn't pop fuses. Power SURGES pop fuses.

Metralla and hogger_reborn like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Power outages generally include power surges as the power wavers on and off.

9. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Here, the power just goes off. No sputter, no warning. Just powers off. Where you live may be different, I'll accept that.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Last power outage we had was about a month ago. High winds were taking down power lines in several spots. The power went on/off 3 times within 20 seconds before total outage for 3 hours. It's scenarios like that which result in large surges.

11. ACK!

I unplugged my receiver a couple of nights ago in hopes that it might clear things up. How long before I plug it back in and try and see if it might work again?

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I would think 3 days would be more than enough. Good luck.

ACK! likes this.
  13. ACK!

Thanks. I'd like to not have to spend money on a receiver right now. I was thinking about possibly getting one next year. If I do get a new one, I definitely want DTS Neo 6 as part of it.

14. ACK!

15. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

You don't need to wait days after unplugging. A few minutes max is plenty. If you hear nothing after that period a longer length of time is not going to help.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not true. I had a TV go out after a power surge. It would not turn back on. I set it aside to throw out. 4 days later I was going to shop for a TV, for the hell of it just before I was going to haul the dead, expensive, Sony XBR 32 to the dump I plugged it in, lo and behold it turned on, and continued to work for several more years. I can only guess there was some static buildup in something that discharged after a few days. Stranger things have been known to happen.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Did you check the back panel for a fuse holder or a reset button?

18. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I had a similar thing happen. About a year and a half ago my 1 year old was constantly hitting the power button on the front of our 46" Samsung TV (bought in 2007, they've since changed the design and moved the button to the bottom and it's more of a joystick), one time he hit it and we couldn't get it to come back on, even with the remote. I cleaned it with air really good but nada. The red light was on so I knew it was getting power. We called a TV repair place and they sent out a guy to install a board for free as part of a class-action lawsuit, they said that might fix it. Nope. So the tech said they'd have to replace the entire power board for $300 and seeing as a new comparable model was probably $500 I declined. I put the TV in my garage where it sat in the hot Texas summer until our bulk pickup day. For grins I plugged it in and the damn thing fired right up. I thought as soon as I move this inside it won't work, but no it worked on the kitchen counter so I cleaned all the dust off of it and placed it back in the entertainment center (we'd been using a 32" as a replacement). That was almost a year ago and it works like a charm. My son is now 2 and half and still messes with it on occasion but I think that board replacement fixed it but it probably needed to be off for a few hours or days for things to reset.

19. ACK!

To quote Homer Simpson, "D'oh!" And I don't want to check now, because my new receiver will arrive tomorrow.

In truth, I was thinking about upgrading next year anyway and I guess this was the universe's way of making me buy it sooner. Someone suggested I get a better surge protector called a "Brick Wall" that is a bit pricey. Is it worth $200 for a surge protector for my a/v equipment?

I don't mind paying the money if it really does the job and will help prevent stuff like this from happening in the future.

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

As long as you don't mind a major degradation in sound. And I've never heard of a surge protector that is 100% effective. That's why they all have "warrantees."

Really the only way to totally protect your a/v is to unplug at the first sign of rain. And unplug when you go away for any length of time.
    It's a bother, I know. But it will save you LOADS of bother and $$$ in the long run.

21. ACK!

Wouldn't just shutting off the power strip/surge protector be enough? I ask this because I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and was planning on shutting off my power strips for the duration.

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

No, you must unplug the power strip and any other components plugged into the wall - such as disconnecting the cable box.

23. ACK!

One weird thing I'm hearing while listening to CDs in DTS Neo:6 mode: The center speaker vocal sounds like it's mixed back or something in proportion to the instrumental sounds. Any reason why something like this might be happening?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.