Everything wrong about NYC Audio stores

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't like NYC audio stores, never did and never will, they represent every thing wrong with the high end. Today a friend and I stopped into a NYC store because they advertised on their web site that they have the VPI Direct Drive Table on display.

When we walked in an older woman asked if we needed help, I told her that I understand that they have the VPI DD table and if possible I 'm interested in hearing it. She asked me how did I know about it, I said that I read about it on the web site.

She said that the person who can help us is with a customer, we said thats fine we can wait. Must have been an invisible customer because the salesman appeared in about 3 minutes. After being introduced, he told us that usually for a $30k table they would like to schedule an appointment and could we come back in an hour. We told him that we really had no where to be and we could wait. Please keep in mind that we were maybe the only other customer in the store.

Next came a check of our qualifications, what is the rest of our system like ? After all this is a $30k table.

To make a long story short we never got a demo. The system wasn't setup and when they asked what type of music we liked and we said Jazz, they only had one fairly trashed copy of Time Out.

Maybe if I want help I need to wear a suit instead of Jeans and have $100's hanging out of my pockets.

2. Remember that shopping scene in Pretty Woman ?

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Sounds like that store is far from having their act together.

Why didn't they just say the system wasn't set up? And why wasn't it? If you wanna sell a 30K turntable, do the required work.

I also find it odd that they would only have one trashed jazz record for a demo.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'll play devil's advocate: I sort of understand the reluctance to demo expensive equipment for people who walk in who don't seem to have the means to buy said expensive equipment since it may just be a waste of time. You listen to it, decide you're blown away and would love one, but know you cannot afford it. Why bother?

Now I'll argue against that logic: Maybe you cannot afford that expensive turntable today, but maybe you'll be able to afford it next year or the year after. What store are you going to return to when you do have the means to buy that expensive equipment? Certainly not the one that mistreated you before. For that matter, you might not ever return to that store for even less expensive equipment because of that bad experience.

My personal experience along these lines: There used to be a high end store in the Castro district of San Francisco. Almost all of the staff there acted as if I was a leper on the few occasions I walked in to browse. A friend of mine who is also an audiophile was treated similarly. Guess where both of us ended up buying various amps, preamps, and speakers as our budgets allowed? Stores much less conveniently located for both of us because of our negative experiences in the neighborhood high end store. Like you wrote, it wasn't like all of the staff was busy with other customers. They would just size you up when you walked in and if they didn't think your look exhibited wealth their disinterest was obvious.

SteelyTom and EasterEverywhere like this.
  5. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

This is why I mail order. I won't give these people any of my $

6. Blue Cactus

Bingo! You can't go being rude and blowing off customers who may not have the cash today without jeopardizing future sales.

When I sold audio equipment ages ago, at least half of my customers didn't have the money right then and there. They usually had to wait for payday, income tax refunds, financing etc. But if you treated them with respect, chances are they'd come back and specifically ask for you.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Tommy, i have a lot of different reactions to this. First, a VPI dealer who has the DD table should be embarrassed not to have this turntable set up and playing, unless it had just arrived and they hadn't had time to set it up yet. I'm sure that VPI wouldn't be pleased to hear this.
    Second, regarding your comment about wearing a suit and looking like you are made of money, most of the people I know who have serious money don't have to wear a suit- that's for the people that work for them. Think about people who made their bread in the software business- they ain't wearing no stinkin' suits. Usually, when the suits show up, I'm outta there. :)
    Third, and this cuts the other way- if I want to audition something, I call ahead to make sure the dealer can accommodate me. In the case of one NY dealer that handles a 'special' line of products, I was absolutely floored to learn by calling first that they didn't even have the top of the line product in the store for demo. So, calling in advance is not just a courtesy to the dealer- it helps you. (Granted, if you were in the city and just decided to pop in and check it out, that's another story).
    I've encountered a few dealers I wouldn't give a dollar to if they were starving, based on their attitude over the phone. And, I'm not hostile to dealers, generally; I've patronized a few over the years, and work with one very good one in the NE. But I hear you on the basic message: somebody in business should actually be capable of offering the goods they have for sale. (In this case it apparently had nothing to do with you or your 'suit'; the dealer was flatfooted). And if the ability to serve the customer isn't there, why bother - just order from some faceless Internet store, which is what's been killing the B&M world on a number of fronts. (Been in a chain bookstore lately? Pretty depressing; ditto, those 'box stores,' like Best Buy).
    There is a good piece by Jim Smith posted on the High Fidelity Report website. In it, Jim goes through the criteria for mediocre, good and top notch dealers. Sadly, I've only met a few in my 40 plus years that make that top level cut. Over and out, from another New Yorker.

8. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Too bad about that experience, but it doesn't surprise me after all I've read about high end dealers. I wouldn't think the way you're dressed would have a whole lot to do with it though, prejudging folks on their attire these days is completely ignorant. There's so much money in New York City it's hard to believe that dealers would give a crap the way somebody is dressed, but who knows? I'd be interested to hear VPIs take on this type of situation involving one of their high end pieces. I wouldn't be happy about it, unless like Bill above said, that they just got it in and didn't have time to set it up yet.

-Buck

9. kman

kman Forum Resident

I guess this is why I shop at Walmart and drink Busch light 30 packs

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I would definitely call ahead if I wanted to demo a $30 grand table and I'd want to discuss the speakers, amplification, etc. Likewise, I'd expect to need to call ahead to test drive a Porsche 911 GT2.

That said, they more or less advertised that this table was available for a test drive. I would have called their VPI rep from the store right in front of the sales guy. The fact is that not too many on skid row are going to line up to sit around and listen to records. Heck, I don't think even Bentley dealers have lines of the poor looking for a cheap thrill!?

Additionally, I can't tolerate the fact that VPI or any serious hi-end table manufacturer would send their product out to a shop with no jazz records. Good grief, talk about minimum expectations! Yikes.

Finally, I'll add that this sad state of affairs is not exclusive to our hobby. I visit all sorts of retail business where I think to myself, "good lord, I could run this place so much better without even trying". I'm almost glad we don't have any hi-end shops here in western PA because I know that chances are that the owners would stink and that I wouldn't be able to bite my tongue.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. VPI has a thread going here. Message them.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  12. Which is pretty funny in San Francisco considering the millionaires and billionaires walking around in flip flops and hoodies. :)

Kingmob and kfringe like this.
  13. TommyTunes

This has happened to me many times in NYC. Never encountered this attitude in Atlanta.
    The best part was before we left we got into a discussion with the salesman about source material and my friend mentioned reel tapes. We were telling him about the resurgence in tape and he asked if I had any pictures of my setup. As a good audiophile I happened to have a video on my phone.
    I think after he watched it he realized that he picked on the wrong guys to give the snob act too.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are we talking about Stereo Exchange on Broadway? I was in there last week, and I think I saw the VPI direct drive.

About 20 years ago, long before I got serious about quality sound, I went with a friend into a hifi shop somewhere in SoMa, I think it was down near the Caltrain station. They had a bunch of McIntosh gear, including some nice vintage pieces from the early '60s. We had no intention of buying anything and probably made that clear, but the guy in the store was cool and was happy to let us hear some of the stuff and tell us about it. It was a very positive experience.

lv70smusic and MarkO like this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

New York was recently rated the most unhappy city in the US. There is a reason for that. And, I've lived here for almost 34 years. People don't have time, they are always busy, are under pressure, and a million other excuses, but frankly, slowing it down a little, being courteous, and showing a little respect for the other guy is something that has become more important to me as I've gotten older. These days, I avoid Manhattan altogether and hang out 'up the river' (which used to be slang for going to Sing Sing). :)

Tommyboy and LeeS like this.
  16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

A friend of mine is a master snob. We walked into one of the salons in NYC, many moons ago. Snooty slesman looks us over, gives us the "Can I help you (get the frack out)?" My friend says, "We're looking for high-end gear". Salesman, " oh, we carry high-end." Friend eyes the equipment, waits a beat, "No, you don't" and turns heel. I followed him, in awe.

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I generally don't do business with New York audio stores. I have developed a relationship with a retailer outside the Yew York area; I have never met this person yet I get excellent advice and prompt customer service. There are businesses out there that want your patronage.

18. I was offered the keys to a $55k Suburban a few weeks back for a test drive just because I was looking at it (admiringly). No bs about whether I had the means to purchase it.

19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Check out, In Living Stereo. I found them to be really nice.

I must say I always found Sound By Singer to be a fine place to shop. They didn't want me to hang around wasting their time but when I went in to buy they treated me with respect and gave me plenty of time to listen. Despite that I read and heard a lot of unfair complaining about them, from people who probably never stepped foot into the place.

Some other stores are not so nice, those I just avoid.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Is mail order still possible?

21. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I was in a store just outside of NYC in the past year or so and was shocked by how I was treated. This store has a location in the city as well and they are a long time business. From their website, it appears at one point the stores were bought by two employees who now run them. I took a day off from work so I would be there on a day with less customer traffic. The store had no customers when I arrived and I engaged directly with the current owner who dismissed me like I was below him and his store. I have never experienced anything like it. I went with the intention of purchasing a mid-level CD player if I liked the sound. I was not there to just browse; I had a specific player in mind and if I liked it, I planned to leave the store with a new player. Needless to say I did not purchase from them and left wondering how they stay in business and the strange part is they have been in business a long time. I found another store owned by a husband and wife in the same general downstate area, great to do business with. What a contrast in approach. I hope to have the opportunity to give them my business again.

norman_frappe and morinix like this.
  22. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

A pretty nice local dealer has the same problem with 'demoing' in having no music worth listening to. He has the usual Diana Krall and some classical. In his entire store he has maybe two rock and roll CDs available for use in a demo. And no actual Jazz.
    He does have streaming services but IMO what audiophile would use that?
    I bring my own music to audition.. ButI have to say the sorry mess his demo music is in really makes me wonder WTF is he thinking?
    (My best guess is the folks who do not bring in music to demo do not care? or are satisfied with listening to Diana Krall.)

23. TommyTunes

That is what they recommended, that I bring my own records in. For a store with millions of high end gear you would think they could drop a couple of grand and have a selection of LP's on hand.

24. Blue Cactus

No kidding.

Demonstration material should be supplied by the dealers unless someone wants to hear a favorite recording they're familiar with.

25. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I can't imagine how impractical it would be to lug my valuable and fragile records all around around Manhatten. Maybe the store expects a courier or armored truck to deliver the billionaire's favorite records to demo at the store. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.