Changing Exact-2 on Rega RP6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Billy Bird, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident Thread Starter

Forgive the novice nature of this, but I recently bought an RP6 with installed Exact cartridge. The audio balance was out on the cart and Rega have sent my dealer a replacement. Am I better off taking the whole unit in for them to switch it or is it easy enough to do myself? The screws are tiny and, having been used to a Pro-ject setup for years, I'm drawing a blank!

2. thommo

thommo Senior Member

As long as you've got 3 bolts in the Exact, and not just 2, it's easy enough to do yourself. The front bolt (which doesn't have a nut, just bolts into the Exact body) handles the alignment, and gives you a non fiddly way to connect the cart to the arm for the other parts (wire connections, nuts with bolts etc.).

As always though, if you aren't sure, the dealer is the safest way to go.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply. It does have the third bolt. Is it just a case of allen keying each of those out and swapping then?

4. thommo

thommo Senior Member

When bought my old P3, I had a Super Elys (Elys 2) fitted, and while he was doing it, the dealer told me that that front bolt is a godsend for both mounting and dismounting.

He removed the side bolts with the nuts first, loosened the front bolt, rotated the cart a little to get better access to the wires, retightened the front bolt, gently removed the wires, and only then undid the front bolt to remove the cart.

Then, for mounting, he just reversed that process; front bolt in, wires attached, loosen front bolt to get cart lined up, add side bolts, tighten all round.

Long Live Analog and utahusker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.