Beatles White Album, What Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikeyt, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up, as you say many reports say that it is, I've had my doubts for some time.

2. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

It doesn't sound terrible but there is a reason that the 1985 is more expensive...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

My Marconi French-UK has these numbers but it doesn't sound that special. How do you identify if something is tube-cut????

4. marcfeld69

Steve - what about a tube-cut White Album?

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to rehash:

This link is most useful -
    http://www.analogplanet.com/content/buying-beatles-white-album-0

White Album tube cuts are -1 or -2 on all four sides. Whether or not you prefer a tube cut or the solid-state White is personal preference. Testimonials for both are sprinkled throughout, but the UK white vinyl still stands tall.

6. marcfeld69

Thanks. I'm just in the middle of reading that excellent article, though it's not really detailed enough for me.

It's obvious now that the 1978 White vinyl is the one to get, but I can't see a decent copy happening my way in my lifetime, though possibly the German white vinyl ...

Btw, do you mean a tube cut would be, for example, Side 1 YEX 709-1 (or-2), Side 2 YEX-710- 1(or-2)? If that's the case my 1973 Marconi/UK has at least one tube-cut side.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  7. marcfeld69

This is from Analog Planet, above. Anyone know which issue this would be? I can't find it on Discogs:

'A 1978 UK stereo reissue of The White Album is similar to a 1968 UK original for a fraction of the price. Physically, the reissue is on lighter weight vinyl and has lighter colored EMI labels. Sonically it differs from the original just a bit with a slightly flatter soundstage, some wooliness to the bass, and a bit of grain to the vocals. But this reissue will satisfy all but the audiophile purist and is a best buy for the stereo analog fan on a budget - about $30 in excellent condition.'

8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I'm curious how the new mono from september is going to ''land'' in this thread! Potentially it could end up as a ''must have"!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

$30 in excellent condition :D

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

$38.50 nm.

11. marcfeld69

I've read right through this thread and looked on Discogs and I can't find any mention of a 1978 UK WA that isn't white vinyl. Can anyone clear this up?

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's pretty simple. Be prepared to spend 100's of dollars on a clean UK 1st press with 'sold in the UK' on the label, get lucky with a -1 or -2 tube cut early 70's un-numbered cover, or pay between $100 - $200 for a clean UK white vinyl. Any later 70's Uk pressings will sound awesome. If there is a later 70's non white pressing that is the same as the white vinyl pressing, surely it would be already documented here?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. marcfeld69

Your last point is indisputable. I may have mentioned that I have the '73 Marconi Pathe with -1, -1, -1, -1 matrices that I picked up very cheap a while back. Not in perfect condition. I can't decide how good or bad it is, but as it's obviously tube cut, how can it bettered by a later UK pressing (unless in the Marconi I actually have the equivalent of 'a -1 or -2 tube cut early 70's un-numbered cover'? But I'm willing to be disabused. (Btw, volume-wise, it's much louder than the 2012.)

14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think the UK vinyl tube cuts sound the nicest to my ears. For all Beatles lp's. But the later 70's recuts will always be the very next best thing, lots of people on here seem to prefer the White vinyl 'white album', although I am reading some dissenting voices now. I've never heard the UK White vinyl so can't really say. But have first press UK tube cuts, for all pre Abbey Rd releases. I have avoided searching for the French pressed uk matrices lp's so far. But would really like to hear for myself.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. marcfeld69

Useful to know. I think the white vinyl will just have to go down as one of the great unobtainable for me. Have you got the 2012 remaster? Any thoughts on how it compares with your tube cuts if you have it?

I have a pretty basic system, with an integrated amp so it may be that the any real differences between all these cuts are actually moot for me. :sigh: (Having said that, I can clearly hear difference between the Marconi and 2012.)

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

As long as your system is Ok and well set up, you will get the benefit of the beauty of first pressings. They shine in any context. The White album is the last on my list to find a first press, hence my interest in this thread. My copy has two tube cut sides and two later cuts, they sound great. You can just hear the 'magic' on the Tube cut sides. My opinion only. Many prefer the later 'harry' cuts.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. marcfeld69

Right. I still have a long way to go ... I have to continue comparing the French with the 2012 in the meantime.

18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's like a full time job trying to get a collection of clean first press UK vinyl if you don't live there :D Must be a lot easier if you're in the UK :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I wonder when that was written. It ain't a fraction no more!

john lennonist likes this.
  20. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I've heard both and I prefer the UK -1 tube cut over the '78 UK white vinyl. Smoother and more realistic sound to these ears. The '85 German DMM shure looks nice but sounds phony to me. Narrowed stereo soundstage, pumped bass and a bit bright.
    From what I understand it's not as easy over there as one would think.

Gardo, blutiga and marcfeld69 like this.
  21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe he's referring to the Blue Box issue. Those can still be had for around $30, I believe. I know I've seen them around for between $30 and $40 not too long ago.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. marcfeld69

O.K. That makes more sense.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Your problem is that you're referencing two, shall we say, less than precise sources of info.

There is no real way to identify a "1978 UK reissue". There are just 70s reissues on the light green Apple label. I don't know how many times the 4 sides of the White Album may or not have been recut in the 70s, but if Fremer doesn't reference matrix numbers there is no way to know what LP he is talking about. Don't waste your time trying to pin it down to what is claimed to be a '78 reissue.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Possibly but 1) the boxes just contained regular inventory and 2) the boxes were released between 78 and ~86 and even if it was in an early box, there is no simple way of telling when it was pressed.

Even the date on the inner sleeve only indicates the earliest date in which the LP package was put together. It won't tell you when the vinyl was pressed.

I've said many times before...people want this stuff to be linear and precise, but it wasn't for the most part.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. marcfeld69

O.K. That's clear.