Nuggets: The Best Garage Rock Anthem

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gallileo, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Having actually lived through the era, I found my self delighted that the box set existed, when it was released, as it was the first
    OFFICIAL recognition most of these records had ever received. Yet, I was underwhelmed in that, most of my favorite 2 dozen
    weren't there. This was not a slight on the box. It is VERY well selected. It is simply that you can't do justice to this stuff with
    two slabs of vinyl. The amount of great wild stuff from those few years is so enormous that it simply wasn't enough space to hope
    to do it properly. I loved it anyway as these few tracks were for me a gesture of acknowledgment on behalf of the missing many
    dozens that made radio so great for me those few years. Just the same, with fully half of my favorite dozen missing, it isn't the
    compilation I would have made for myself.

Mike Marshall likes this.
  2. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

Talk Talk
    Liar Liar
    Louie Louie

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Raw and raunchy first take genius

[​IMG]

Mike Marshall and GerryO like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Not garage, but the best version of Gloria wouldn't happen until 1975 :cool:
    My favorite Shadows Of Knight song is "I'm Gonna Make You Mine"......so I'm glad it made the box set.

5. LandHorses

One group that couldv'e made the Nuggets box............The Palace Guards from New Orleans..........(not to be confused with the "Falling Sugar" Palace Guard.)

The Palace Guards drummer, Frank Bua Jr. would become The New Orleans Radiators drummer. This song was written future Radiator Ed Volker.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It was the version most people in the U.S. knew from the radio, not the version by Them. In addition, I live in Illinois and the Shadows of Knight were from Chicago.

indy mike likes this.
  7. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

One more vote for Lollipop Shoppe - You Must Be A Witch

8. michael landes

Yeah, I've seen a lot of love for Patti's version, (I love it too) but for me Van absolutely owns that one, and not because he happened to
    write it. I have an out of body experience.
    I like Gonna Make you mine too. :0

9. michael landes

Yeah, I realize that. It was the hit, not Van's original, in this country. But, fact is I hate it, and I love the original. I don't think van
    ever did anything else as good, except Mystic Eyes. (and this is coming from a fan!)

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

My vote:

"People gonna think, yes they're gonna think
    People gonna think you're a SPAZZ!!!!"

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Believe it or not, AM radio in So Cal in the mid-to-late 1960s was very hip. All the pop/psych one-hit wonders, all the Brit invasion stuff, plus the Beach Boys, Doors, Vanilla Fudge, Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, Cream, Hendrix, Motown. It seemed like there was a new great song on the radio every day. It was a rich radio experience even if the sound quality wasn't that great.

innercircle likes this.
  12. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

According to my counting lists:

Run Run Run - The Gestures
    Follow Me - Lyme & Cybelle
    Psychotic Reaction - Count Five
    She's My Baby - The Mojo Men
    Talk Talk - The Music Machine
    Moulty - The Barbarians
    I Think I'm Down - The Harbinger Complex
    Shape Of Things To Come - Max Frost & The Troopers
    Little Bit 0' Soul - The Music Explosion
    Falling Sugar - The Palace Guard

I love Nuggets!!

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Well-Known Member

I personally think Jimy Sohn's vocal is pure garage and I love it. Them's version is great too but I hardly play it. I turn SOK's version up LOUD but I find Them's version is better at lower volumes. I don't 'hate' Them's version, I just think it's inferior to SOK's version. Then again, I think Pushing Too Hard is the best song on the album. I'm probably the only one, so what do I know?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    JoeRockhead and michael landes like this.
  14. Mike Marshall

No SEEDS? You gotta be kidding!

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I already have a compilation of the Best Of The Seeds that I compiled and did not want to repeat any tracks from that. I grab that when I want to listen to the Seeds.

Mike Marshall and notesofachord like this.
  16. Mike Marshall

Sorry John, misunderstood (so to speak).

John Fell likes this.
  17. LandHorses

I just ordered this....................
    [​IMG]

It's supposed to have all of The Unrelated Segments recordings...........and you can't go wrong with Detroit garage.

notesofachord and Mike Marshall like this.
  18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It might have to get that. It looks like it has "Tell Me Why Your Light Shines" by The Lykes of Us on it.

What a fantastic tune - the herky jerky, hyper rhythms make 'em sound like the proto-Feelies:

19. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

20. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Cicadelic has been going through their catalog and putting together well thought out sets that are nicely prepared - good sound, informative booklets with lots of pictures- well worth ordering that comp. :righton:

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did you get that at the New York or Chicago City Winery? Was there a Nuggets event there? I must have missed it if it was in New York!

Mike Marshall likes this.
  22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Sorry, the source of the photo is Steve Wynn, formerly of The Dream Syndicate, who posted it to facebook. He played a show at the New York Winery, in mid June. Also, the Dream Syndicate appeared on the Children of Nuggets compilation.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    stereoptic likes this.
  23. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I believe Lenny Kaye headed the band in those Nuggets shows at City Winery, though unfortunately I missed them.

24. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I love ALL of these songs, Louie Louie, Psychotic Reaction, and the rest, but the original Nuggets 2LP collection is still the best. I've collected many of the original 45s of these as well, but have a ways to go.....

One song not mentioned above that I think epitomizes the atmospheric sound of garage rock is:

Liar Liar - The Castaways

Another great one is:

1,2,5 - The Haunted

25. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

vivatones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.