upgrade my Music Hall MMF 5.1! how?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nathan_h, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wonder if it is an RCA Record Club pressing. RCA is about the only company that pressed those "Dynaflex" albums. Otherwise, I don't think WEA ever used them.

2. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Not sure but it belonged to the guy who owned the shop. He liked the album so much he bought a couple extra copies as insurance against scratches, wear, theft etc.

He also had an unopened album by Dave Olney and X Ray that I've not been able to find any info on. Bought that one too.

3. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

My MMF7 (no.1) ran slow and I have the cruise control set at 33.4. It probably varies by the power at the wall as much as the manufacturing tolerances.

I rebuilt mine two years ago. Rewired with cheap wire. I had a wire issue. I may go with better wire someday.
    Replaced the RCA jacks.
    Replaced the bearing.
    Replaced the Sure V15Vxmr with a AT OC9ML II.
    Upgraded phonostage.
    Built my own anti skate weight using a couple small nuts and flourocarbon line. I needed less weight. I'm a fisherman so I had plent of line laying around. Flourocarbon works because it has no memory. Do not use monofilament. Mono will form a bend in the line at the hang point.

I now spin vinyl about 3 to 1 over digital. It used to be the other way around.

floweringtoilet likes this.
  4. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Mine used to run very slightly slow, and I also set the Cruise Control at 33.4. When I ordered my most recent belt replacement, all of a sudden it ran fast and I needed to set it to 33.0 to get proper speed. The latest belt (from Music Direct) is different from the previous ones in that it is round, whereas all the previous ones were square. Doesn't really matter since I have the CC. Other than the speed change I think the new belt actually passes slightly less motor noise along than the old one did.

I don't know if the Incognito kit is still available for the Pro-Ject 9 arm, but it is nice. I can't say it made a night and day difference, but it is definitely better than the stock wiring.

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Staying off topic for one more post.

If the round belt is the same diameter as the thickness of the square belt then it might ride higher in the pully, changing the gear ratio making the platter spin faster.

This would be even greater when using the 45rpm pully like we do with cruise control.

6. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

For the less handy among us (cough), when I had to replace my cartridge and tonearm wire, Michael Wharton at britaudio.com did a great job getting my MMF-5 up to speed. He both tolerated my complete ignorance of tonearm set-up and gave me a good price on a new Goldring.

7. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Picked up a new motor from Music Hall and just did the install on my mmf-5. It wasn't too bad or overly technical. Just took my time with it, soldered 4 wires then reassembled it all - it's a pretty simple machine. Back in business for $45 - not bad at all.

nathan_h likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.